Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: So let's see on baseball.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    We just signed a top 6 class. Top 3 after the draft
    This. People don't seem to realize how good this class is. Also we've done well in the portal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    This. People don't seem to realize how good this class is. Also we've done well in the portal.
    Someone correct if me if I’m wrong, but isn’t this class a little similar to the class with Fristoe and Tepper, in that some of the higher rated guys (Highfill and Cijntje), we flipped relatively late from other lower division schools, albeit pretty good baseball schools. Also, it seems like several guys with considerably high ceilings but the consensus is, as it stands now, none that will be ready to make an immediate impact like a Hunter Hines.

The reason I bring it up, is that I’ve been left a little scarred by Fristoe and Tepper, so I am tempering my expectations until i see consistent performance.

Also, do we consider this class truly Lemonis’ class or does that begin with the next class?

vCash
    C - Hancock
    1B - Hines
    2B - Larry
    SS - Forsythe
    3B - Alford
    LF/CF - Ledbetter
    LF/CF - ???
    RF - Clark
    DH - Downs

Need to get another OF from the portal unless we want to roll with Dakota Jordan or Bryce Chance

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    C - Hancock
    1B - Hines
    2B - Larry
    SS - Forsythe
    3B - Alford
    LF/CF - Ledbetter
    LF/CF - ???
    RF - Clark
    DH - Downs

Need to get another OF from the portal unless we want to roll with Dakota Jordan or Bryce Chance
    Should we get lucky and have Skenes choose us, he could be your DH with Downs in the OF. Didn't someone say Ledbetter can play all OF positions?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WSOPdawg View Post
    Didn't someone say Ledbetter can play all OF positions?
    He can

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    Someone correct if me if I’m wrong, but isn’t this class a little similar to the class with Fristoe and Tepper, in that some of the higher rated guys (Highfill and Cijntje), we flipped relatively late from other lower division schools, albeit pretty good baseball schools. Also, it seems like several guys with considerably high ceilings but the consensus is, as it stands now, none that will be ready to make an immediate impact like a Hunter Hines.

The reason I bring it up, is that I’ve been left a little scarred by Fristoe and Tepper, so I am tempering my expectations until i see consistent performance.

Also, do we consider this class truly Lemonis’ class or does that begin with the next class?
    I don't think there is a coach in the country that WANTS to rely on freshmen being impact players. If they come in, perform, and win a spot - its great. That's a gravy year of production.

Interesting side note - reading thru the list of SEC FOY since 2000 - only 3 went on to win SEC POY (Stephen Head, Hunter Morris, & Tony Kemp) and only 1 became an impact MLB player - Alex Bregman.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Who is the next target now that Skenes is gone

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Can't be much left out there at this point Bucky. We damn sure could've used Skenes and Groff.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    "We didn't want him anyway," (MSU battle cry after recruiting failures.)******

vCash
    Interview with Pirates GM had him saying he feels like they are likely done signing draft picks.

Unless something unforeseen happens, means we can expect Hunt to be back with us next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    Interview with Pirates GM had him saying he feels like they are likely done signing draft picks.

Unless something unforeseen happens, means we can expect Hunt to be back with us next year.
    Well, that will help ease the pain of losing Skenes!

vCash
    Good to get Hunt back. He has a chance to make some money this Spring
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post

Should be noted that almost nobody thought Hines was going to be an immediate stud before he stepped on campus this time last year. I fully expect at least one freshman to be in the lineup by April.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Should be noted that almost nobody thought Hines was going to be an immediate stud before he stepped on campus this time last year. I fully expect at least one freshman to be in the lineup by April.
    Right. The thing there is there is no telling who that will be. My guess would be Dakota Jordan. He has a legit opportunity to win a job in the lineup. And really, I thought Pico did a good job too. I think we could see the same potentially from Clijente, Loftin, Gibbs, Holcombe, Dohm, Max Miller, Logan Forsythe, and Evan Siary. Hopefully 2-3 of those guys anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Right. The thing there is there is no telling who that will be. My guess would be Dakota Jordan. He has a legit opportunity to win a job in the lineup. And really, I thought Pico did a good job too. I think we could see the same potentially from Clijente, Loftin, Gibbs, Holcombe, Dohm, Max Miller, Logan Forsythe, and Evan Siary. Hopefully 2-3 of those guys anyway.
    Siary better get healthy or whatever. Bc he wasn't a g5 pitcher this year much less sec.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Siary better get healthy or whatever. Bc he wasn't a g5 pitcher this year much less sec.
    Agree 100%. If he does get healthy he could be legit though. No way to know at this point but the odds are definitely against it. I'm only expecting 2-3 pitchers out of that group I mentioned to really step up. And two of those are Holcombe and of course Dohm.

vCash
    As for siary, they said he had shoulder issues, which might be true, but he never went on the shelf for longer than a week or so once the season started, which's is odd if he was hurt. Hes a good kid and maybe he just wanted to compete. But doesn't make much sense to send him back out there hurt and his dad was on the staff.... But clearly this year he was a shell of what he showed our staff before. .....Obviously loftin has a big upside. I like Gibbs. Tapper can pitch. Crafty lefty type. Forsythe, has had command issues, we shall see if he can harness them. McClain Ray is going to have to getter better quick. Tommasini, has to be a non scholly guy. Hope he works out but not elite stuff and spotty command the night I saw him. Obviously, our pitching has to be better, but anxious to see the jump that our soph hitters make. Downs, Alford, and Hines all can be big time. And CHance can be a solid guy as well.

vCash
    I think Gartman will be a really nice add on the bump.

vCash
    K C Hunt coming back. Free article on Genes Page. Hail State!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    K C Hunt coming back. Free article on Genes Page. Hail State!
    maybe that will take some of the stress out of football season for me ... great news
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.