Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting article about so call 5-star Manning

vCash

Interesting article about so call 5-star Manning

I quit following recruiting years ago, but I read an article by a so-called recruiting "expert" Mike Farrell about Arch Manning being a 5-star. He said it's about his name, if it was Arch Smith, he would be a high3-star. Reason being was his competition he played against wasn't all that good, he has several QB's rated much higher.

I have no clue, but I do know the Manning name has much pull and much over hyped publicity. I guess time will tell.

vCash
    It will be interesting to watch. As good as Peyton was, it still took him camp and four games to overtake Todd Helton. Now, that could have been more about Fat Phil than Peyton, but knowing that Eli redshirted it makes me think Arch may be more Eli than Peyton. But, people are going to expect this kid to be day 1 QB - and in spite of the hype he might not be ready.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    It will be interesting to watch. As good as Peyton was, it still took him camp and four games to overtake Todd Helton. Now, that could have been more about Fat Phil than Peyton, but knowing that Eli redshirted it makes me think Arch may be more Eli than Peyton. But, people are going to expect this kid to be day 1 QB - and in spite of the hype he might not be ready.
    By last year at OM, Eli was great, in spite of not having the best talent around him. He certainly should have won the Heisman his senior year.

vCash
    I'm sure texas will be absolutely thrilled if arch is good as Eli even if it takes a year or 2. If arch is Peyton, Texas fans won't be able to quit smiling for years

ETA... arch can be a great get even if he isn't as good as Eli. I'll be pretty shocked if he isn't 1 of the best qbs in the sec by the end of his 2nd year... I don't doubt the bloodlines
    Last edited by msstate7; 07-13-2022 at 07:21 AM.

vCash
    Off topic, do Peyton or Eli have sons?

vCash
    The biggest issue with recruiting rankings is fans assume there is no bias.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I'm sure texas will be absolutely thrilled if arch is good as Eli even if it takes a year or 2. If arch is Peyton, Texas fans won't be able to quit smiling for years

ETA... arch can be a great get even if he isn't as good as Eli. I'll be pretty shocked if he isn't 1 of the best qbs in the sec by the end of his 2nd year... I don't doubt the bloodlines
    I don't know if Arch will be one of the best qbs in the SEC, but I think what makes him such a desirable recruit is that if he has the athletic ability, it seems like it's a relatively high likelihood that he's not going to fail because of not putting in the work and to a lesser extent, because of not being able to process things quickly enough.

It's going to be interesting to see how the Manning's interact with Texas craziness. Eli was protected from the hype early on at Ole Miss. He could have started his RS Freshman year but unlike most families, the Mannings weren't throwing their weight around trying to get Eli to unseat a solid, senior QB. Plus Eli was still immature at that point, partying hard and not putting in the film room work (although probably still better than average for most RS freshmen qbs) and I dont' think Cutcliffe felt like he had earned it yet.

At UT, the crazies are going to be calling for him to start sooner rather than later and if he's not ready, I could see them turning on him pretty quickly.

vCash
    He has 5 Star name. We will see if he really has 5 Star talent. Going to TX was a big mistake.

vCash
    I watched him 3 times last year, I wasn't impressed like I thought I would be. He'll have to fight to win the job at Texas, assuming they're bringing in competition for him.

vCash
    Helton suffered a knee injury in our game and Peyton came in, so camp four games and the starter going out finally gave him his opportunity.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacknut View Post
    Helton suffered a knee injury in our game and Peyton came in, so camp four games and the starter going out finally gave him his opportunity.
    I was there, but I couldn't remember why Helton got yanked. We were their 3rd loss of the season in 5 games - so that would have likely been the end for Helton regardless.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    I was there, but I couldn't remember why Helton got yanked. We were their 3rd loss of the season in 5 games - so that would have likely been the end for Helton regardless.
    Helton was the second stringer. The Tennessee starter got knocked out for the season in the first game vs. UCLA. Who knows what would have happened. Helton was a pretty good athlete.

vCash
    I think it's funny in the book of manning they mention Peyton played first against MSU but they don't mention the picks he threw and the L we put on him. Walt Harris had a good day.

vCash
    Oh .... and yeah. Arch.... over rated clap clap... clap-clap.

vCash
    I don't care how he does as long as we beat TX when they are on our schedule. Hail State!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    Oh .... and yeah. Arch.... over rated clap clap... clap-clap.
    Archie Who?

vCash
    Didn't espn catch that Archie clown cussing in the stands because pEli got roughed up in the 01 Egg? Fake... Clowns.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Off topic, do Peyton or Eli have sons?
    No

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    Didn't espn catch that Archie clown cussing in the stands because pEli got roughed up in the 01 Egg? Fake... Clowns.
    More than once

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    No
    Eli has 3 girls and 1 boy. peyton has twins, a boy and a girl. they are about 11 yr old now I think
    Last edited by Pancho; 07-13-2022 at 03:23 PM.