Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Worse MSU FB game(s) you ever saw?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PGHBulldogBG View Post
    As bad as Maine was that 2006 Tulane game in my opinion was worse. Croom should?ve never been allowed to hang around after losing to Maine, UAB and then Tulane. I tried to be optimistic about Croom because he inherited a giant mess, but the Tulane loss officially sealed it for me that it wasn?t going to work out
    A lot of the reason he wasn't fired was because:

1. Larry Templeton was our AD.

2. We were on probation.

Let's just be thankful 2007 happened. Not many years where we can say that we beat Alabama, Ole Miss, and won a bowl game. I don't care that we had to return a bunch of INT's and punts back for TD's and the Liberty Bowl wasn't Super Bowl 24 offensively- we still won the games. And we beat an Auburn team that I think ended up being ranked at the end of the year, and a pretty decent Kentucky team on the road and even managed to beat Tulane in the Superdome.

If you look at the bottom line that technically ranks as Dan Mullen's third best season had he been coaching the team.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    Stole this thread for Six Pack but some of my all time lows:

Auburn - 3 to 2. Most inept display of two teams that couldn't play the game.

Croom's 48 to 0, "I didn't see that coming", loss to OM.

Every game of the "Tech and Ten" season.

"Remember the Maine".

Game delayed by the tornado watch.
    All of those games took place while I was in college. Except the 3-2 game. It was my bachelor party.

vCash
    2004 in Baton Rouge 51-0. Complete ineptness.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawdawg View Post
    @ Georgia tech in 08. Noon kickoff and we went to bed around 4:00 and we got absolutely destroyed. We had a complete game of ineptitude from all 3 phases.
    yep ... I was there for that one. Me and a buddy left Bobby Dodd Stadium and watched the second half of that horror show from a Taco Mac
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    1992 at LSU. 24-3 loss. After a big win at Texas opening game, made the drive from Starkville to Baton Rouge with a buddy. Wore all maroon into Tiger Stadium and got completely bashed (and covered in all sorts of liquids) by the LSU crowd. Total beatdown and embarrassment!

But...we still make the trip to Memphis the next week to see an exhausted MSU team grind out a win.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonMike View Post
    1992 at LSU. 24-3 loss. After a big win at Texas opening game, made the drive from Starkville to Baton Rouge with a buddy. Wore all maroon into Tiger Stadium and got completely bashed (and covered in all sorts of liquids) by the LSU crowd. Total beatdown and embarrassment!

But...we still make the trip to Memphis the next week to see an exhausted MSU team grind out a win.
    I was there too. And that's been my last trip to Tiger Stadium. Never going back
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    I think all 4 losses in Felker's first year to end the season was really disappointing after a great start of the year. Seeing Don Smith racing down the sideline against the Vols at Neyland was as good as it could get that year.

Losing to Maine and NLU is about as bad as it can get except maybe the 74-0 against Houston in the Astrodome back in the late 60's may have been the worse ever. Btw, Houston came to Starkville the next year loaded and we whipped their ass that after noon, talk about shocked!
    My memory fades but I believe John David Calhoun (R.I.P.) from Forest, got SEC def player of the week for linebackers play in that Houston game.
    Last edited by lastmajordog; 07-13-2022 at 12:36 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    The refs were bad that night and made sure BYU won- but they could at least keep some semblance of professionalism after the game. Dick Pace however- cannot. The 1981 Egg Bowl was completely stolen and flat out cheating.
    Oh man, there really are no words to describe that nightmare, especially those of us that experienced it.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonMike View Post

Wasn't the 24-3 loss at Red Stick a wet slight drizzle rain? Also, I was sitting close to our bench, and I recall we punted and the Lsu guy either signaled for a fair catch or the whistle blew as the ball hit the ground only to have the guy pick the ball up and race like 89 yards for a score. Whatever it was a very questionable call.
    We were flat as one could be that night.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Wes Carrol knew more about running an offense than Woody and Croom put together. Croom still chewed his ass out for checking out of a run play to a play action pass for a touchdown. I wish Wes had stayed b/c we would have gone to a bowl game Dan's first year if he did.
    I still have no idea why he didn?t stay. Mullen being an entitled dick?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    I still have no idea why he didn?t stay. Mullen being an entitled dick?
    He was loyal to Croom. For some ungodly reason Wes thought Croom should have gotten another season. Him leaving was a protest.

vCash
    45-0 eggbowl and Brandon McRae breaking his leg off was pure misery.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    I was there too. And that's been my last trip to Tiger Stadium. Never going back
    It's a lot better now that they have security. I went in 1998 when we got beat down and it was as miserable as advertised. And the whole time I was like "Where is the security?" Now that they have more security and ticket prices have gone up you have a lot less riff raff and people aren't quite as brave with a security officer there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    45-0 eggbowl and Brandon McRae breaking his leg off was pure misery.
    I remember some of our fans saying that was the reason we got blown out because our team was so shaken up. LOL. The real reason was being completely unprepared.

vCash
    He was loyal to Croom. For some ungodly reason Wes thought Croom should have gotten another season. Him leaving was a protest.
    I'm sure it's different as a player when you're actually recruited by someone. Just a completely different realtionship.

vCash
    yeah ... he traded us in for someone like UCF (before UCF had it's good years) ... Leaving the SEC because of pouting for Croom ? I just can't wrap my head around that
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Wesley Carrol was the only freshman QB to beat Nick Saban at Alabama until Trevor Lawrence.

Wrap your head around that for a second.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Choctaw Dawg View Post
    Wesley Carrol was the only freshman QB to beat Nick Saban at Alabama until Trevor Lawrence.

Wrap your head around that for a second.
    Wow that's nuts. I must ask, how did you find that info because I know no sports announcer knows that one?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    It's a lot better now that they have security. I went in 1998 when we got beat down and it was as miserable as advertised. And the whole time I was like "Where is the security?" Now that they have more security and ticket prices have gone up you have a lot less riff raff and people aren't quite as brave with a security officer there.

I remember some of our fans saying that was the reason we got blown out because our team was so shaken up. LOL. The real reason was being completely unprepared.
    That was an awful beat down. Ole Miss were feeling sorry for us. We made them look like Bama.

vCash
    Maine.

2013 Gator Bowl. Tyler Russell four picks.

And I’ll throw in the 2014 Orange Bowl just because of how far I drove to watch us get schooled by Tech.
    Last edited by EdwardDrayton; 07-17-2022 at 11:42 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    That was an awful beat down. Ole Miss were feeling sorry for us. We made them look like Bama.
    Jackie always had at least one game a year where it looked like we just didn't practice that week at all. And it was always LSU and Arkansas.