Thread: Best wins over each school and regional OOC rivals I have attended at Davis Wade

vCash

Best wins over each school and regional OOC rivals I have attended at Davis Wade

It's summertime!

Ole Miss 1999. I was at the piss and miss and the game that Dak came back over Freezus but this one was the best. We had never had a magical comeback game until this one in the Egg Bowl and for years we had to hear about the time the wind blew that field goal back. Now I could counter with the time that Ole Miss completely busted a coverage and Romaro Miller threw into triple coverage.

Alabama 1996. This one is underrated because we beat Alabama two more times after this including 1998 where JJ Johnson completely went off against them. But this one was memorable because of the parachute guy breaking his leg in pregame and it was the first win over them since 1980. We also had come very close to beating them several years before this and never could quite get the break we needed to win. And yes, I was at the Anthony Johnson game in 2007.

Auburn 2014. No brainer here even though I have seen us beat Auburn several times including 1999. Top five game for me but 1999 Egg Bowl is still number one for me.

LSU 1999. When we won this game I knew we were having a special season because LSU always beat Jackie no matter how good we were or how bad they were.

Arkansas 1998. We won the SEC West Championship unofficially kind of sort of. Wayne Madkin pulled two miracles out of his ass at the right time.

Texas A&M 2014. I wasn't at Texas A&M 2016 so I went with this by default. 2014 was a fun game in its own right in a great run though.

SEC East

Tennessee 1994. This was a now legendary game where Peyton Manning became their starting QB and the day I officially was glad he didn't choose Ole Miss. Eric Moulds made a freakish catch and then we hit Kendall Watkins for the game winner.

Vanderbilt 1998. Started a great season and the Dawg Pound Rock unveiled itself at this game.

Florda 1992. I picked this one over Florida 2000 because it was MSU's first Thursday night game ever and it was us beating Shane Matthews who was a local kid who went out of state and we ruined his Heisman chances.

Georgia 2010. I don't really have another option on this one as this is the only time in my life we have beaten Georgia. Hopefully that changes with the new SEC scheduling format. This was a good win for us though and got us on track for a good 2010 season.

Kentucky 1999. I think this was the game where Joe Lee came out with 10 DB's on the first play and Kentucky had to call a timeout. Great comeback win over Kentucky on a Thursday night.

South Carolina 1999. We beat Lou Holtz in year one and again I just don't have a lot of options even though I have seen us beat South Carolina on the road.

Mizzou 2020. Also due to a lack of options. One of the few December games I have ever attended at Davis Wade.

OOC

USM 2014- First time to play them since 1990 and we destroyed them. Really shut up the "MSU is scared to play USM" crowd.

Tulane 1994- Derrick Taite set a then school passing record against them since broken by Dak and KJ Costello.

Memphis 1997- This was the game after Keefer passed away. We won on a last second field goal in 150* heat.

Jackson State 2009- This was Dan's first game and the first ever SEC game against a HBCU and we won big.

vCash
    I remember before that first game with Jackson State, Dan referred to them as being a great rival. I guess he'd not done his homework, or maybe he got them confused with Ole Miss.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    It's summertime!

Ole Miss 1999. I was at the piss and miss and the game that Dak came back over Freezus but this one was the best. We had never had a magical comeback game until this one in the Egg Bowl and for years we had to hear about the time the wind blew that field goal back. Now I could counter with the time that Ole Miss completely busted a coverage and Romaro Miller threw into triple coverage.

Alabama 1996. This one is underrated because we beat Alabama two more times after this including 1998 where JJ Johnson completely went off against them. But this one was memorable because of the parachute guy breaking his leg in pregame and it was the first win over them since 1980. We also had come very close to beating them several years before this and never could quite get the break we needed to win. And yes, I was at the Anthony Johnson game in 2007.

Auburn 2014. No brainer here even though I have seen us beat Auburn several times including 1999. Top five game for me but 1999 Egg Bowl is still number one for me.

LSU 1999. When we won this game I knew we were having a special season because LSU always beat Jackie no matter how good we were or how bad they were.

Arkansas 1998. We won the SEC West Championship unofficially kind of sort of. Wayne Madkin pulled two miracles out of his ass at the right time.

Texas A&M 2014. I wasn't at Texas A&M 2016 so I went with this by default. 2014 was a fun game in its own right in a great run though.

SEC East

Tennessee 1994. This was a now legendary game where Peyton Manning became their starting QB and the day I officially was glad he didn't choose Ole Miss. Eric Moulds made a freakish catch and then we hit Kendall Watkins for the game winner.

Vanderbilt 1998. Started a great season and the Dawg Pound Rock unveiled itself at this game.

Florda 1992. I picked this one over Florida 2000 because it was MSU's first Thursday night game ever and it was us beating Shane Matthews who was a local kid who went out of state and we ruined his Heisman chances.

Georgia 2010. I don't really have another option on this one as this is the only time in my life we have beaten Georgia. Hopefully that changes with the new SEC scheduling format. This was a good win for us though and got us on track for a good 2010 season.

Kentucky 1999. I think this was the game where Joe Lee came out with 10 DB's on the first play and Kentucky had to call a timeout. Great comeback win over Kentucky on a Thursday night.

South Carolina 1999. We beat Lou Holtz in year one and again I just don't have a lot of options even though I have seen us beat South Carolina on the road.

Mizzou 2020. Also due to a lack of options. One of the few December games I have ever attended at Davis Wade.

OOC

USM 2014- First time to play them since 1990 and we destroyed them. Really shut up the "MSU is scared to play USM" crowd.

Tulane 1994- Derrick Taite set a then school passing record against them since broken by Dak and KJ Costello.

Memphis 1997- This was the game after Keefer passed away. We won on a last second field goal in 150* heat.

Jackson State 2009- This was Dan's first game and the first ever SEC game against a HBCU and we won big.
    Good list Todd. Hard to argue with any of the picks.

OM - its a toss up for me for different reasons 99 or 13

Bama - hard to not list 1980 but it has to be. 98 & 2000 were great. 97 was sweet because I was in Ttown sitting in Bama section as we romped them.

Aub - 14

LSU - 99 or 14 for different reasons.

Ark - 98

TAMU - 14

UT - 94

Vandy - 99. That was the Fred Smoot I'll let you catch a pass if you do my homework game. At Vandy, Vandy came in on like their best start in school history. They were cocky coming into the game. I was there and we came out and mashed their headgear in the dirt. I think was 25-0 at half. I was feeling sorry for Vandy near end of game. Total domination.

UF - 92 or 2000. 2000 UF was #3 a day CBS game. UF minus 75 yards rushing for the day. We were red hot then and shocked everyone.

UGA - 10 as there aren't many

UK - 99 was good, 14 was good as we were #1 and the hunted. What a cool feeling watching us roll and get the Bama treatment all day.

USC - 99

Mizzou - think was 15 at Mizzou. Dak put on a show.

USM - got to go with 1990. One of best games attended while I was at MSU as a student. Campus was buzzing for hours after the game.

Tulane - 94

vCash
    The Florida game in 92. I was in Sec E row 40. The students had a sign saying Shane pull up your socks. Then Sleepy got hurt, ruined the rest of the year.

vCash
    miami and texas

vCash
    Good list Todd, I've got a number that are the same -

Arky '98
    Bama '96 - helped tear down the goal post at both.

Auburn - home is '14, but my first college road trip was Auburn '91. They were in total disbelief - beginning of the end for Pat Dye.

OM - '91 - first Egg Bowl back on campus

UT - '94
    UF - home is '92 because it was a Thursday night ESPN back when it was a BIG deal. And we waxed that SOB Shane Matthews.
    Away is '10 - the loudest MSU away crowd ever. I had 50 yard line seats 3 rows behind the UF bench.

vCash
    Another comes to mind.

99 Auburn was about the most unreal finish ever.

vCash
    Bama in 07. AD made Saban lose his hat and Anthony Johnson returning that pick at the end of the Half. That was the loudest it has ever been, me and my brother were in the southeast goaline section at the top of the lower half surrounded by really pissed off Bama fans who wanted their 4 Mil back/ All Saban had to do was kick the FG and the game was over.

https://youtu.be/iz_rrT3lyE4

vCash
    UPig in 1998 was awesome
    Mississippi in 99 was awesome
    Florida in 92 was awesome
    Tenn to beat them and Manning was awesome
    Watching State beat Bama 6-3 in Jackson was awesome
    Watching State beat LSU 55-31 in Jackson was awesome
    Watching the fight in the 1980's in Jackson vs Mississippi was awesome
    Vs Auburn in 2014 was awesome
    3rd and 57 vs Florida in Sville was awesome
    2017 State vs LSU was awesome. Mullen and staff outcoached them for 4 quarters

Worst Scott Field watches?

Derek Abney beat us by himself
    Memphis State beating us on Homecoming with a FB dive for 60 yards
    Tommy T's Mississippi Rebels go down and score on us in under a minute and the go for 2 and get it. Probably my worst Scott game except for putting my cowbell to the chin of a Mississippi fan who got in my face outside the stadium. You invade my space? You get a response
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Good list Todd. Hard to argue with any of the picks.

OM - its a toss up for me for different reasons 99 or 13

Bama - hard to not list 1980 but it has to be. 98 & 2000 were great. 97 was sweet because I was in Ttown sitting in Bama section as we romped them.

Aub - 14

LSU - 99 or 14 for different reasons.

Ark - 98

TAMU - 14

UT - 94

Vandy - 99. That was the Fred Smoot I'll let you catch a pass if you do my homework game. At Vandy, Vandy came in on like their best start in school history. They were cocky coming into the game. I was there and we came out and mashed their headgear in the dirt. I think was 25-0 at half. I was feeling sorry for Vandy near end of game. Total domination.

UF - 92 or 2000. 2000 UF was #3 a day CBS game. UF minus 75 yards rushing for the day. We were red hot then and shocked everyone.

UGA - 10 as there aren't many

UK - 99 was good, 14 was good as we were #1 and the hunted. What a cool feeling watching us roll and get the Bama treatment all day.

USC - 99

Mizzou - think was 15 at Mizzou. Dak put on a show.

USM - got to go with 1990. One of best games attended while I was at MSU as a student. Campus was buzzing for hours after the game.

Tulane - 94
    That USM game D Fair finally showed what he could do when healthy.

https://ia801609.us.archive.org/Book...ale=4&rotate=0
    Last edited by parabrave; 07-11-2022 at 12:20 AM.

vCash
    91 game v Florida.... what a game. What a party that night at college station. Good times. However I prefer the 2000 game. I'm not sure why maybe because it is fresh.

That first Egg bowl on campus was nice too. I didn't go to many in Jackson. It was special to see us beat them at home. I ran into a football player after the game at college station. Dude shotgunned a 40, another fun night after party.

I think it was 99, we boat races Oklahoma State at home. I remember that game well for some reason. It was a fun game.

Senior Member William Tecumsah Sherman's Avatar
    vCash
    Tuberville going for two and beating us was an all-time gut punch.

vCash
    2013 OM 2007 OM 2009 OM 2019 OM even though that is my least favorite State team of all time

2014 Arky

2014 Auburn

2007 Alabama

2017 LSU

2014 A&M

2010 UGA

Never been to a UF game we won at home but 2009 was fun you knew we were gonna be good before long on that night

2016 South Carolina

2020 Vandy won with 2 real OL and half a team

2012 Tennessee

2021 Kentucky bc of helmets and they were top 15 ranked I believe.

2020 Mizzou bc of the uniforms.

OOC

2021 NC State

2017 BYU

2014 USM

Thinking back we havent played many good P5 non conf teams at DWS. Georgia tech and Houston were good so was West Virginia

vCash
    What about (1985 I think) Orlanda Lundy playing for the injured Don Smith against Lsu? Corndogs went around campus celebrating before the game big time only to have Lundy who was from La go off on an incredible performance by him.