Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Sports Illustrated bullish on the Bulldogs in 2022

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Extendedcab View Post
    When I was in the 8th grade, I don't think I considered becoming rich playing sports . My thoughts were around being a dominate player and scoring at the last second to win the game.

There is nothing wrong with dreaming about making money when you become an adult, but in the 8th grade to focus on money as a primary motive is a little much! I think it is putting the cart before the horse! I thought the desire to play sports was "mainly" for the love of the game - especially as an amateur. I guess times have changed and not for the better! I guess I am having a hard time swallowing that everybody that ever steps a foot on a field or course should be paid regardless of their age.

I want to see athletes that play the game for the love of the game and not for the love of money - and there is a difference in the way they approach the game.
    Got to agree with this.

We have glorified our sports programs so much it is going to collapse our financial system. Sports redistributes wealth, it doesn't really produce needs of a society. Now we have a society that don't even know how or care how to make or provide things - hence the supply chain mess. No one wants to be a farmer, work in manufacturing, or make anything. Just give me a phone, some money and let me do sports.

All the money, support, and energy at most HS now revolves around sports and academics is going down the tank. I love sports but it is not the main thing.

Our priorities are way out of order.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Got to agree with this.

We have glorified our sports programs so much it is going to collapse our financial system. Sports redistributes wealth, it doesn't really produce needs of a society. Now we have a society that don't even know how or care how to make or provide things - hence the supply chain mess. No one wants to be a farmer, work in manufacturing, or make anything. Just give me a phone, some money and let me do sports.

All the money, support, and energy at most HS now revolves around sports and academics is going down the tank. I love sports but it is not the main thing.

Our priorities are way out of order.
    Nothing new to see here. I remember when I subscribed to SI and Tug McGraw got one of the first $100K contracts, He was asked what he was going to do with the $. His reply, "I'm going to spend 90% on wine, women, and song and waste the rest". At least he had a plan. Seriously, I quit watching or keeping up with MLB, NBA, years ago because of the out of control contracts and now only watch NFL when Dak plays. After 50 plus years of season tickets for State, watching closely to see where college game is headed.

vCash
    Folks we need new leadership period. OM is running circles around us attracting top students. The last chart I saw showed that the same good SAT scores will get $5,000 more per year at OM. That is a lot for most families in MS. It feels like our leaders are just happy to be where they are, not improving.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IMissJack View Post
    Folks we need new leadership period. OM is running circles around us attracting top students. The last chart I saw showed that the same good SAT scores will get $5,000 more per year at OM. That is a lot for most families in MS. It feels like our leaders are just happy to be where they are, not improving.
    Academically, MSU already has probably the best money scholarships available anywhere in the state and SEC. We are way ahead there. I live in Alabama and we get tons of Bama students due to that alone. Now the underachieving student athlete - yeah he ain't getting that much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    Nothing new to see here. I remember when I subscribed to SI and Tug McGraw got one of the first $100K contracts, He was asked what he was going to do with the $. His reply, "I'm going to spend 90% on wine, women, and song and waste the rest". At least he had a plan. Seriously, I quit watching or keeping up with MLB, NBA, years ago because of the out of control contracts and now only watch NFL when Dak plays. After 50 plus years of season tickets for State, watching closely to see where college game is headed.
    Yep agree. I am where you are as well. Hoping they don't run college into the ground but it appears headed that way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Academically, MSU already has probably the best money scholarships available anywhere in the state and SEC. We are way ahead there. I live in Alabama and we get tons of Bama students due to that alone. Now the underachieving student athlete - yeah he ain't getting that much.
    That is incorrect. I have a son that graduated in ?21 and a sophomore there now. We do not offer as much as OM.