Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sports Illustrated bullish on the Bulldogs in 2022

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    It is a lot easier to win 8 games now than back then - see my previous post. We get an extra cupcake and any team with a pulse gets a bowl now in which we usually have the advantage. That is 2 almost Ws that Jackie didn't get. Going by total wins is total BS for comparisons.

I never said we can't get there again. We did for a short season with Dan.

The SEC was just as good back then (minus the level Bama has been), other than that, no difference. LSU sucked last couple years. TAMU has been a joke. Aub has been down. Ark has sucked for a decade. So outside of Bama how is SEC better now than the 90s? UF and UT were better than all the SECW now minus Bama. Jackie beat them all and a lot of times made them like it.

I'm not sure if Jackie is the greatest or not or Dan but the constant downplay of what Jackie did is not a good reflection of history.
    Jackie also didn't play 12 games in a season and usually only had to play 11. The difference is the FCS game that we play annually which no doubt would have increased his win total by 12-13.

I'm convinced that most MSU fans that think Dan was the best weren't around for Jackie.

Give me Jackie's 1994, 1998, and 1999 seasons over almost all of Dan's seasons. The only seasons that Dan had that are comparable are 2010 which gets overlooked a lot by MSU fans for some reason and of course 2014.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    We need to figure out a way to funnel our new TV deal monies into the NIL fund. That's the opportunity that we have to compete..
    That's crossed my mind too. It's going to be interesting when it is discovered a school has a fraudulent account on the books, that is actually an expense account for NIL money.

NCAA investigator: " Hey athletic department. Y'all spend a ton on minor medical supplies. Your utilities are extremely high. Also let's see this ice machine that cost $10 million a year. "

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    That's crossed my mind too. It's going to be interesting when it is discovered a school has a fraudulent account on the books, that is actually an expense account for NIL money.

NCAA investigator: " Hey athletic department. Y'all spend a ton on minor medical supplies. Your utilities are extremely high. Also let's see this ice machine that cost $10 million a year. "
    And unfortunately we have no one in admin that would tell the NCAA to go **** themselves.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    We lose alot after this season and NIL is a full go in this recruiting cycle across the country. Our recruiting will slowly get worse in football while the middle of the SEC- gets stronger with the money they spend. Plus the SEC is adding more upper level teams that will just make our schedule that much tougher every season

This is kind of the "last hurrah" for State football
    I wish I could argue with you but without some dramatic change in the course college football is now on.....I can't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Jackie also didn't play 12 games in a season and usually only had to play 11. The difference is the FCS game that we play annually which no doubt would have increased his win total by 12-13.

I'm convinced that most MSU fans that think Dan was the best weren't around for Jackie.

Give me Jackie's 1994, 1998, and 1999 seasons over almost all of Dan's seasons. The only seasons that Dan had that are comparable are 2010 which gets overlooked a lot by MSU fans for some reason and of course 2014.
    Yes. 2010 was a great coaching job. After that, Dan owes his lucky stars to Dak, really....

Looking back on the past, I'm appreciative of Dan; he absolutely pulled us out of the abyss....but I'm more nostalgic for Dak's years...He's hands down the best thing that's ever happened to our FB program. Add in the added positive of us all being able to still watch him play at an elite level and root for his success in the NFL. That's literally new ground for MSU fans, as far as QBs go.

Compare that with Dan's success post MSU...not so good, lol. His best year at Florida with Trask he still finished 8-4 (granted that was a COVID year), and his tenure ended as most of us predicted.

vCash
    It is a lot easier to win 8 games now than back then - see my previous post. We get an extra cupcake and any team with a pulse gets a bowl now in which we usually have the advantage. That is 2 almost Ws that Jackie didn't get. Going by total wins is total BS for comparisons.

I never said we can't get there again. We did for a short season with Dan.

The SEC was just as good back then (minus the level Bama has been), other than that, no difference. LSU sucked last couple years. TAMU has been a joke. Aub has been down. Ark has sucked for a decade. So outside of Bama how is SEC better now than the 90s? UF and UT were better than all the SECW now minus Bama. Jackie beat them all and a lot of times made them like it.

I'm not sure if Jackie is the greatest or not or Dan but the constant downplay of what Jackie did is not a good reflection of history.
    Again, I like Jackie, but we had a losing record 6 of his 13 years. This all started not to downplay Jackie, just to say that when you consider his whole tenure I don't think what he did here is some unattainable level of success, which was the implication of the other poster. That's specifically what I was addressing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverCityDawg View Post
    Again, I like Jackie, but we had a losing record 6 of his 13 years. This all started not to downplay Jackie, just to say that when you consider his whole tenure I don't think what he did here is some unattainable level of success, which was the implication of the other poster. That's specifically what I was addressing.
    That is fine but you keep saying I or others said he achieved some unattainable level of success. That was never said. 3 of JWS losing years were the last 3. I can't help any MSU fan who don't realize what JWS did at MSU. Even Dan credited JWS for setting the standard at MSU when he took the job.

JWS inherited a mess and had us winning immediately similar to Dan. That is how you know you got a great coach. JWS had a lot going on the last few years none of which were shopping for another job. Jackie was true maroon and was a winner, plain and simple.

vCash
    That is fine but you keep saying I or others said he achieved some unattainable level of success. That was never said. 3 of JWS losing years were the last 3. I can't help any MSU fan who don't realize what JWS did at MSU. Even Dan credited JWS for setting the standard at MSU when he took the job.

JWS inherited a mess and had us winning immediately similar to Dan. That is how you know you got a great coach. JWS had a lot going on the last few years none of which were shopping for another job. Jackie was true maroon and was a winner, plain and simple.
    I keep saying it because I'm trying to get you to understand that's the only comment I'm arguing against here...

This is what AROB said that I was responding to:
    "So glad I got to live through the JWS and Dan Mullen eras. We will never be that good again."

"Never be that good again" = unattainable, does it not?

I agree Jackie was true maroon, set the standard, changed the attitude and all that stuff. I just think it's possible that we can be "that good" again. That's all I'm saying.

vCash

I get what you're saying but he also left us on probation ... he also played an offense that would not be competitive for us today. Jackie had his day ... we need something much more to compete today. I don't know if that's Leach but it's gonna take something WAY different after NIL gets in full swing everywhere ... when was the last time aTm had a number one cruitin class - times are changing and we must change with them and if we don't have aTm's NIL type bank account then out of the ordinary coaches are all that's left - in other words, Leach or some other eccentric is our best shot
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    [/B]

I get what you're saying but he also left us on probation ... he also played an offense that would not be competitive for us today. Jackie had his day ... we need something much more to compete today. I don't know if that's Leach but it's gonna take something WAY different after NIL gets in full swing everywhere ... when was the last time aTm had a number one cruitin class - times are changing and we must change with them and if we don't have aTm's NIL type bank account then out of the ordinary coaches are all that's left - in other words, Leach or some other eccentric is our best shot
    Jackie also has zero support from the athletic administration when we were under investigation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    [/B]

Sumlin recruiting rankings seemed to always be top 5 top 10. AM has never had an issue with talent. When you have invested that kind of money into players you can't make everyone happy. AM has a track record of under performances with talent.

vCash
    We lose Sharp, Jones, Johnson, and Smith. And with the portal and NIL- we wont know who will return at this point.
    Are Johnson and Smith considered losses? They haven't bowled me away. I like Smith's energy and Dolla Bill's size and frame, but we have underclassmen with higher ceilings at their positions.

Sharp is a loss, no doubt, with his experience.

vCash
    Anything less than 7-5 and the egg is a failure. 7-5 better include the egg or 7-5 is a failure

vCash
    Another thing Joe Lee Dunn saved Jackie's ass with his defense on numerable occasions. joe Lee hated JWS. I was at a recruiting dinner one night at that steak house on old 182 going towards Columbus, can't remember the name, anyways JWS left after dinner and Joe Lee said now we can get down to business that asshole is gone! They were like oil and water! I miss no socks!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
    Another thing Joe Lee Dunn saved Jackie's ass with his defense on numerable occasions. !
    Joe Lee didnt save shit- he did his job as DC. Who you think got Joe Lee those players? It damn sure wasnt JLD out on the road visiting Momma's and getting deals done. Melvin, Hendrix, and Jackie closing guys got JLD his toys to play with. Some people seem to forget how bad JLD's last couple of D's were at State when he didnt have Smoot and Bean anymore
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverCityDawg View Post
    I keep saying it because I'm trying to get you to understand that's the only comment I'm arguing against here...

This is what AROB said that I was responding to:
    "So glad I got to live through the JWS and Dan Mullen eras. We will never be that good again."

"Never be that good again" = unattainable, does it not?

I agree Jackie was true maroon, set the standard, changed the attitude and all that stuff. I just think it's possible that we can be "that good" again. That's all I'm saying.
    OK then you should have replied to AROB post not mine. That is my point. I didn't say it so stop lecturing me about it. Thanks no flame just make the counter point to the one that said it. You are picking a fight with me when there isn't one.

I think we agree on many things of the topic.

vCash
    Joe Lee didnt save shit- he did his job as DC. Who you think got Joe Lee those players? It damn sure wasnt JLD out on the road visiting Momma's and getting deals done. Melvin, Hendrix, and Jackie closing guys got JLD his toys to play with. Some people seem to forget how bad JLD's last couple of D's were at State when he didnt have Smoot and Bean anymore
    Agree Jackie and company recruited the talent. JLD got credit for some results and was popular because of his fly by seat of pants style but JWS was the architect behind those teams.

vCash
    We will just have to disagree on this i was close to the team at that time. I know many players did not respect jws but did joe lee. And if JWS was reasonable for recruiting smoot and bean he dropped the ball after they left.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
    We will just have to disagree on this i was close to the team at that time. I know many players did not respect jws but did joe lee. And if JWS was reasonable for recruiting smoot and bean he dropped the ball after they left.
    Not being close to the program, word in my circle, was that JWS lost respect of the team due to how he handled the relationship between his daughter and Wayne Madkin.

vCash
    OK then you should have replied to AROB post not mine. That is my point. I didn't say it so stop lecturing me about it. Thanks no flame just make the counter point to the one that said it. You are picking a fight with me when there isn't one.

I think we agree on many things of the topic.
    I did reply to AROB. You are the one that replied to me. No worries though, just a misunderstanding.