Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Sports Illustrated bullish on the Bulldogs in 2022

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
    Another thing Joe Lee Dunn saved Jackie's ass with his defense on numerable occasions. joe Lee hated JWS. I was at a recruiting dinner one night at that steak house on old 182 going towards Columbus, can't remember the name, anyways JWS left after dinner and Joe Lee said now we can get down to business that asshole is gone! They were like oil and water! I miss no socks!
    Joe Lee hated recruiting worse than Dan Mullen. He didn't get a soul. Not one.

vCash
    I'm as big of a Leach fanboy as exists in the entire fanbase, and I think it's very obvious that Tennessee turned down Leach, not the other way around.

They turned him down for ... Jeremy Pruitt. Pretty dumb of Tennessee. When Heupel fails, he'll be their 4th bust coach in a row since Kiffin left them high and dry.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    no he didn't. He would have biked to UT for that job.
    Yeah, he campaigned hard for the Miami and UT jobs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    I'm as big of a Leach fanboy as exists in the entire fanbase, and I think it's very obvious that Tennessee turned down Leach, not the other way around.

They turned him down for ... Jeremy Pruitt. Pretty dumb of Tennessee. When Heupel fails, he'll be their 4th bust coach in a row since Kiffin left them high and dry.
    I remember the SI article with the big UT boosters furious when they found out Pruitt was hired over Leach. Heupel may bring them back to respectability but those Fat Phil days are long, long gone.

vCash
    I think Heupel will be successful. He got them to play hard in Year 1. They were well-coached. Tennessee has money so they will get talent. I think they finally have their guy to get them back in the top half of the SEC consistently
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post

If only 1998 was a perpetual universe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    If only 1998 was a perpetual universe.
    Even in 98, it took a 4th down saving PI to save them at Syracuse.
    A missed game winning FG by Florida.
    Sternor stumble.
    Alabama being down and playing a 8-3 west opponent in Atlanta.
    Then a NC game vs a FSU on their QB2.

It was all luck for the vols that year. The most plastic football NC I know of.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Good post.

I will say that when Saban retires there is going to be major shakeup in power in the SEC. Just like when Bear Bryant left. He'll be 71 this year and for reference guys like Bobby Bowden and Joe Paterno were 80 and 85 respectively when they stopped. At some point he's going to stop in the next 10 years likely. And in the meantime other teams are going to use his age against him in recruiting. "Saban won't be at Bama when you graduate".
    Most of today's "student athletes" in our easy transfer/NIL world will care less if Saban is there when they graduate. If there to transfer to, another story.

vCash
    NIL will make Saban less of an issue. Guys will go play at SC if they offer more money than Bama. "Get Paid" is the motto for kids as early as the 8th grade today. The Jr High kids at Natchez literally had that on workout shirts
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    NIL will make Saban less of an issue. Guys will go play at SC if they offer more money than Bama. "Get Paid" is the motto for kids as early as the 8th grade today. The Jr High kids at Natchez literally had that on workout shirts
    "Money talks and bullshit walks" is a more true mantra today than ever before.

vCash
    How sad! 8th grade??? Wow!

vCash
    Hey 34 how long til the "8th grade NIL" boomerangs? I will guess that in 3-4 years when most of these kids peak in the 11th grade will the fools with more money than sense wake up and this crap end. Then the kids handlers will go back to see what coach gets them to the NFL, like Saban.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Joe Lee hated recruiting worse than Dan Mullen. He didn't get a soul. Not one.
    This! Joe Lee DID NOT recruit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Extendedcab View Post
    How sad! 8th grade??? Wow!
    Doesn't every kid want to play sports and become rich? All I thought about as kid was playing in the MLB but I thinking more about game winning hits than a paycheck. Although I wanted that paycheck too.

Seems the change is...although I don't know first hand...we were pushed hard and it was made clear to us that we had to earn everything. Maybe that still happens. I dnk. But I have my suspicions when it comes to the better athletes.
    Last edited by Maroonthirteen; 07-14-2022 at 03:28 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    Doesn't every kid want to play sports and become rich? All I thought about as kid was playing in the MLB but I thinking more about game winning hits than a paycheck. Although I wanted that paycheck too.

Seems the change is...although I don't know first hand...we were pushed hard and it was made clear to us that we had to earn everything. Maybe that still happens. I dnk. But I have my suspicions when it comes to the better athletes.

When I was in the 8th grade, I don't think I considered becoming rich playing sports . My thoughts were around being a dominate player and scoring at the last second to win the game.

There is nothing wrong with dreaming about making money when you become an adult, but in the 8th grade to focus on money as a primary motive is a little much! I think it is putting the cart before the horse! I thought the desire to play sports was "mainly" for the love of the game - especially as an amateur. I guess times have changed and not for the better! I guess I am having a hard time swallowing that everybody that ever steps a foot on a field or course should be paid regardless of their age.

I want to see athletes that play the game for the love of the game and not for the love of money - and there is a difference in the way they approach the game.

vCash
    When I was in the 8th grade, I don't think I considered becoming rich playing sports . My thoughts were around being a dominate player and scoring at the last second to win the game.

There is nothing wrong with dreaming about making money when you become an adult, but in the 8th grade to focus on money as a primary motive is a little much! I think it is putting the cart before the horse! I thought the desire to play sports was "mainly" for the love of the game - especially as an amateur. I guess times have changed and not for the better! I guess I am having a hard time swallowing that everybody that ever steps a foot on a field or course should be paid regardless of their age.

I want to see athletes that play the game for the love of the game and not for the love of money - and there is a difference in the way they approach the game.
    It's not the kids but their handlers, parents, Uncles and their travel team coaches. Yes in PeeWee their are now "travel teams" just like the AAU in basketball/

vCash

I feel the same way. I really don’t follow pro sports that much anymore, gave up college basketball and college football is the last worthy sport. If they just turn it into the nfl, I will probably just quit following it.

Banned
    vCash

When your family don't own the roof over their head and capitalism runs this unchecked, that's a consequence. It's crazy to see you on here complaining that kids are focused on their futures earlier and earlier when that's the reality of the system you love to also push. Hypocrite

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Hey 34 how long til the "8th grade NIL" boomerangs? I will guess that in 3-4 years when most of these kids peak in the 11th grade will the fools with more money than sense wake up and this crap end. Then the kids handlers will go back to see what coach gets them to the NFL, like Saban.
    The downward spiral will continue until idiots run out of money or some idiots wise up and quit throwing money at these kids. The whole thing is pathetic.

The crowd that says if you don't empty your pockets to these kids then you ain't a real fan or you don't want to win is BS. Unless you have unreal amounts of money, you ain't winning crap anyway if the money game continues.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    It's not the kids but their handlers, parents, Uncles and their travel team coaches. Yes in PeeWee their are now "travel teams" just like the AAU in basketball/
    It ain't the kids at first but they are raised that way as you say and then it is them.