Thread: Help me baseball folks

vCash

Help me baseball folks

Slate Alford and Aaron Downs. Decent sized kids, highly thought of, highly recruited with good offers, not transferring out via the portal. Where do they fit in?

I?m assuming Alford is the leading candidate at 3rd base. If Kam returns, then Alford is a DH candidate or Kam has to move to the outfield.

Where does Downs fit in? Infield or outfield?

If we lose Kam and Hancock, and Skenes goes elsewhere, then I certainly see playing time for the two. But if Kam and Hancock return, Skenes shows up, and our portal recruits show up, where will the playing time for Alford and Downs come from?

Thoughts?

vCash
    Good questions. This portal stuff is going to make players perform, wait their turn, or transfer out if they don’t have patience.

vCash
    Alford is a third baseman and Downs is a corner outfielder.

As you said- as far as playing time that will be determined later by who returns next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post

As you said- as far as playing time that will be determined later by who returns next year.
    If we have Kam James, Hancock, and Skenes, that’s 3 of 9 spots. If we don’t, then that’s 3 spots up for grabs.

I’m assuming Brad Cumbest and Logan Tanner are gone. There’s no realistic chance either returns.

vCash

What do you think about Alford and Downs long term for us? Neither hit well this year, but their at bats were limited. The staff seems to like their potential.

vCash
    Both were top rated recruits. If they don?t pan out, that is an indictment on the coaching staff. They both should become all SEC performers if the evaluations were correct.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    If we have Kam James, Hancock, and Skenes, that’s 3 of 9 spots. If we don’t, then that’s 3 spots up for grabs.

I’m assuming Brad Cumbest and Logan Tanner are gone. There’s no realistic chance either returns.
    Well, really four as Skenes would take a spot in the rotation. Hancock to me is the most important as far as potential seniors returning. Kam is good. As is Preston and Brandon Smith. I'd like to have them all back but that's probably unrealistic.

I would be shocked if Cumbest and LoTan come back. Pleasantly shocked.

What do you think about Alford and Downs long term for us? Neither hit well this year, but their at bats were limited. The staff seems to like their potential.
    I really like both Alford and Downs a lot. If both end up starting for us this year I think they would do a good job for us. I don't think either one of them was really ready last year plus Downs dealt with some injuries as well. Alford would be a big upgrade defensively over Kam and we might get similar production from his bat as well. I would like to get Kam back because with him being a senior they tend to have good seasons. With Ledbetter, Knight, and Clark I don't see Downs starting for us anywhere other than DH which would be fine to be honest with you. Don't be surprised if the staff platoons him with Seibert assuming Skenes goes somewhere else. As you know if we get Skenes he will be the DH.

Long term I feel like both will start as juniors and be good players for us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    Both were top rated recruits. If they don?t pan out, that is an indictment on the coaching staff. They both should become all SEC performers if the evaluations were correct.
    Just because a player doesn't pan out for MSU it doesn't necessarily mean that they were misevaluated. See Graham Ashcraft.

The stark reality is in a best case scenario a college team is only going to really have 16 main contributors a year meaning on a 35 man roster over half the roster is going to be role players or not contribute a lot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    If they can't break thru because better players are ahead of them, that makes the coaches guilty of having recruited a ton of talent. I'll indict them for that.

vCash
    Well, really four as Skenes would take a spot in the rotation.
    No, only 3. I’m counting the 9 hitting spots (8 positions and DH) where Downs and Alford could be inserted. Hancock, James, and Skenes (the hitter) would only take 3. Skenes (the pitcher), Brandon, and Preston won’t have an affect on the playing time of Down or Alford.

vCash
    1b Hines
    2B Larry
    3b Alford
    SS Forsythe
    LF Ledbetter
    CF Knight
    RF Clark

That’s a pretty dang good lineup…

Now look at this. We can all day Cumbest, LoTan, and Sims are gone… What if the draft tells LoTann he needs to drop a few pounds and gets more consistent with the bat. He could be a top 10 pick next year. Right now I didn’t even see him in the 2nd round. Cumbest has shot up, but has leverage. That’s totally on his call. I think Hancock will be back. If not, next man up… plain and simple…

vCash
    I don't see any way Tanner comes back. He'll still be picked within the first 3 rounds, and he just finished a year in which he was projected as a potential top-10 pick to begin the year and fell. Why risk another fall? If I'm him, I take the money, get into a pro organization, and start working with their coaching and training staffs to get better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TNDawg35 View Post
    1b Hines
    2B Larry
    3b Alford
    SS Forsythe
    LF Ledbetter
    CF Knight
    RF Clark

That’s a pretty dang good lineup…

Now look at this. We can all day Cumbest, LoTan, and Sims are gone… What if the draft tells LoTann he needs to drop a few pounds and gets more consistent with the bat. He could be a top 10 pick next year. Right now I didn’t even see him in the 2nd round. Cumbest has shot up, but has leverage. That’s totally on his call. I think Hancock will be back. If not, next man up… plain and simple…
    Lotan is gone. Cumbest is gone.... those are for sure. Cumbest doesn't have any leverage at his age honestly.

vCash
    Prospects live released their top 600 prospects and Kam didn't even make the list.

vCash
    Slate Alford and Aaron Downs. Decent sized kids, highly thought of, highly recruited with good offers, not transferring out via the portal. Where do they fit in?

I?m assuming Alford is the leading candidate at 3rd base. If Kam returns, then Alford is a DH candidate or Kam has to move to the outfield.

Where does Downs fit in? Infield or outfield?

If we lose Kam and Hancock, and Skenes goes elsewhere, then I certainly see playing time for the two. But if Kam and Hancock return, Skenes shows up, and our portal recruits show up, where will the playing time for Alford and Downs come from?

Thoughts?
    I think Alford and Downs will be very good multi-year contributors. Big kids, Talented, with high ceilings. If Downs starts hitting, Lemonis will find him a role. Corner OF and DH are open to Downs. The dynamic that all HS recruits face in all SEC and other Elite programs is that competition is now beyond their roster and incoming HS players. The competition is now from So-Con and other mid-major transfers.

MSU is in a competitive vise next year due to LSU's and TAM's vigorous and successful transfer policies. Arkansas' incredible HS recruiting. OM is now more than a wannabe. Butch's elite recruiting. Imagine an LSU recruit watching all the NIL/Transfer guys pouring in, they are probably wondering about life in the Sun Belt.

SECW competition is so vigorous that one can go from National Champ to No SECT in 10 months. Even while retaining a big chunk of the National Champ starting lineup.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Lotan is gone. Cumbest is gone.... those are for sure. Cumbest doesn't have any leverage at his age honestly.
    Free article yesterday on Genes Page on our players in summer ball. Forsythe hitting about .111 and Fristoe era over 9. Our starting 8 in the field could be 6 to 7 new faces, a rebuild indeed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    Free article yesterday on Genes Page on our players in summer ball. Forsythe hitting about .111 and Fristoe era over 9. Our starting 8 in the field could be 6 to 7 new faces, a rebuild indeed.
    Forsythe has 9 at bats. Fristoe has pitched twice. And we won't have 6/7 people new to the program starting.

vCash
    Just too early to know, fact is we all thought we would be back in the CWS.

I will say I think Forsythe is what we think he is, good glove and below average in batting in Sec. I'm ok with him in our lineup.

Fristoe, I really don't want to blast him, and after two years he has digressed, I hope he gets out of his "funk"! Maybe he needs a change in scenery, just saying as I wish him the best!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Forsythe has 9 at bats. Fristoe has pitched twice. And we won't have 6/7 people new to the program starting.
    Agree but I think 4-5 is realistic. Even probable. Including the freshmen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Agree but I think 4-5 is realistic. Even probable. Including the freshmen.
    I meant 6 to 7 new starters, transfers and non-starters from 2022 roster. JMO. Anything and almost anyone should hopefully bring better results in 2023. Hail State!