Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
Don't think patience has much to do with it. I think it was more the shock of the 2022 season. Sure, we had injuries and other issues, but I doubt anyone thought we could fall from National Champ to last in the West and not even a Hoover post season. I don't expect the 2023 rebuild team to finish dead last again or we do have very serious problems. I do expect a hard nosed team that competes and wins State style. Hail State!
I don't think anyone is ever going to predict 6 pitchers go down in a season. I think if we knew ahead of time that Sims, Simmons, Auger, Stinnett, and Hunt would be out for most of the season then yeah I think a lot of people would have been less shocked.

Big picture though.

1. We were in most games (yeah Tennessee game one was a blowout but that wasn't the norm) and had a ton of one-two run losses. We didn't really cave in completely until Auger and Stinnett went down. And up until that point we were in the hunt for a regional even with all of our deficiencies last year. Including beating Ole Miss in Oxford two games to one. I believe we had a 5-7 record against teams that were in Omaha. When reasonably healthy this team was fine.

2. Lemonis has addressed most of our needs in the portal already. And he took a very proactive stance in changing our recruiting philosophy dropping a few players who were recruited by the other staff or simply weren't performing. I don't think he would have done that last year. As usual- MSU is nice and gets completely burned for it. At least Lemonis wasn't nice for long.

3. Lemonis will either fix this or he won't. And if he won't Cohen will find someone else who will. We're really not even close to that point though. And based on how he responded in the portal we will probably be fine. In other words I'm not worried about our baseball program. Especially knowing what is coming in our recruiting classes in the future. Which I really believe will take us to another level.