Thread: My painful last new thought on OM national championship

vCash

My painful last new thought on OM national championship

MSU allowed OM to win it. OM was last at large team in and one of last 4 in post season. MSU had momentum after beating them in Oxford. All we had to do was finish as good as them and we could have been in instead of them and they would still be 0 NC.

That is the tough reality of how bad the 2022 season went for MSU - that we couldn't even win enough to keep a bubble OM team out of the tourney and making history in the process.

That is all; on to next year and football season hoping for a serious turnaround on all fronts.

vCash
    If Lemonis hadnt pitched Forsythe in Governors cup Ole Miss probably doesnt make a Regional

vCash
    That's a bit of a stretch considering all Arkansas had to do was pitch their normal number 2 guy and LSU got swept by them while we won our series with them.

But if we want to go there we "allowed this" to happen when we hired Polk II.

No matter though. Our 2016-2021 was the best stretch in MSU baseball history. And happened partially because we were "nice" and decided to keep players around recruited from previous staffs who weren't SEC caliber along with a massive epidemic of pitching injuries. And if that happens again I assure you we will make some changes.

Also MSU winning had an effect on their players returning and being motivated to return. We'll see how they handle massive turnover this offseason. We all know how hard it is to repeat as it is.
    Last edited by Todd4State; 07-03-2022 at 09:24 PM.

vCash
    I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Last in last out is something they seem to be proud of.

I’d much rather be a national seed and win a national championship than be the last team in and win it.

I knew when they got sent to Miami that they had a good chance of coming out of that regional. Miami hasn’t done squat in postseason in several years. Then, usm was dog piling after beating lsu. You could see it coming from a mile away. I didn’t expect the World Series to look like it did, but that was just an appropriate end to a season straight out of the twilight zone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Last in last out is something they seem to be proud of.

I’d much rather be a national seed and win a national championship than be the last team in and win it.

I knew when they got sent to Miami that they had a good chance of coming out of that regional. Miami hasn’t done squat in postseason in several years. Then, usm was dog piling after beating lsu. You could see it coming from a mile away. I didn’t expect the World Series to look like it did, but that was just an appropriate end to a season straight out of the twilight zone.
    Agree, call them a cinderella which they are and it gets under their skin.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    That's a bit of a stretch considering all Arkansas had to do was pitch their normal number 2 guy and LSU got swept by them while we won our series with them.

No matter though. Our 2016-2021 was the best stretch in MSU baseball history. And happened partially because we were "nice" and decided to keep players around recruited from previous staffs who weren't SEC caliber along with a massive epidemic of pitching injuries. And if that happens again I assure you we will make some changes.

Also MSU winning had an effect on their players returning and being motivated to return. We'll see how they handle massive turnover this offseason. We all know how hard it is to repeat as it is.
    Not sure who you are responding to but if OP, it is not stretch. It was us and OM for last SEC spot. We had the edge and folded.

Now going back to Polk II is a major stretch - 4 coaches ago?

Agree the run we had been on for 5 years is unmatched in college baseball and we ended it well with a NC. We sure started the next run off with a bang too.

vCash

If we dont Polk 2 Ole Miss Baseball is the equivalent of Mizzou now. Polk 2 didnt recruit and basically a lot of players that would have previously went to MSU went to Ole Miss instead1. If LT makes a good hire there instead of Polk 2 I believe we have multiple Nattys by now

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Not sure who you are responding to but if OP, it is not stretch. It was us and OM for last SEC spot. We had the edge and folded.

Now going back to Polk II is a major stretch - 4 coaches ago?

Agree the run we had been on for 5 years is unmatched in college baseball and we ended it well with a NC. We sure started the next run off with a bang too.
    It is a stretch because we beat them twice in Oxford and they beat us in Jackson making it a net negative for Ole Miss in the eyes of the committee. Again it goes back to taking care of business and we did not and they did. Except we did take care of our business against them when we played them in terms of net result.

The simple reality is our season turned out the way it did because of injuries to pitchers. Nothing more and nothing less. Whose fault that is remains up for debate at this time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    If we dont Polk 2 Ole Miss Baseball is the equivalent of Mizzou now. Polk 2 didnt recruit and basically a lot of players that would have previously went to MSU went to Ole Miss instead1. If LT makes a good hire there instead of Polk 2 I believe we have multiple Nattys by now
    I don't know what they would be but you do get my point.

We basically gave them a free decade to build their program while our program essentially stagnated and then declined. Because we went with a nostalgia grab because LT didn't want to deal with the baseball boosters and knew that they would be quiet as long as Polk was there. If we hire Manieri there is a good chance we are working on multiple National Championships at this time instead of one.

vCash
    It is a stretch because we beat them twice in Oxford and they beat us in Jackson making it a net negative for Ole Miss in the eyes of the committee. Again it goes back to taking care of business and we did not and they did. Except we did take care of our business against them when we played them in terms of net result.

The simple reality is our season turned out the way it did because of injuries to pitchers. Nothing more and nothing less. Whose fault that is remains up for debate at this time.
    Not a stretch, we beat Bama, Aub then OM. OM had lost like 6 straight weekends.

We were trending post season they were not. Gov cup don?t count in SEC so didn?t really flip either season.

Yeah I watched the season, the pitching we lost last hurt but the killer was early season pitching lost.