Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Next year's potential lineup

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    I wouldn't have taken either of the two. Now, they may work out. But the limitations we have money wise, no chance.
    One has regressed badly and one is a head case cause he didn’t get his way… I wouldn’t have taken either. Their Creighton pitcher may not even make it to campus, yet D1 baseball is already picking them to win it all next year…

vCash
    Here?s the thing about baseball.

Unlike football, in baseball you don?t have to be the best team. You just have to be ?good enough?.

Ole Miss wasn?t close to the best team this year, but they were good enough.

This portal haul, especially if we land Skenes, makes us plenty good enough to make a run

vCash
    Throw strikes and don’t strike out. Those 2 things that we didn’t do put us in the basement.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post

Unlike football, in baseball you don?t have to be the best team. You just have to be ?good enough?.

This portal haul, especially if we land Skenes, makes us plenty good enough to make a run
    It also helped that Dylan DeLucia came out of nowhere for them.

I know he's a top 200-250 draft prospect so he wouldn't be coming out of nowhere but we really need Colby Holcombe to do the same for us. We are usually finding JUCO guys that need to take about a year to adjust. If he crashes and burns like Walling did that's a big indictment on Foxhall.

vCash

This. Baseball is not football or basketball. Nailed it, Gun!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Really need Hancock to come back. Veteran leader and would let the young catchers develop at a slower pace. Gonna hit ok with a little pop and good obp.
    Can we not pay Luke $10-$15k in NIL $ to get him to come back? Having good senior leadership in Luke would be a great ?glue guy? as Coach 34 mentioned.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    We were pretty close to that in '16, but only had 21 wins. But, we have to remember they play in the East - and the East winner has an advantage playing at least 3 so-so to bad programs in UK, Missouri, and USC. Plus Florida and Vandy were not their typical juggernauts this year and UGA was a different team every weekend. I think in the West they are probably closer to a 20 win team than 25.
    That's a good point. I would like to see us win 25 SEC games a year even in the West because I'm greedy though. Competition be damned!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    I think the recipe is get to 16-18 wins in SEC, schedule wins in the mid week so that you can build depth, and qualify for Hoover. Get out of Hoover as fast as possible if you know you will host a Regional. You want to be Top 16 when the Regionals are announced if possible. 37 wins will usually get MSU a host spot. Schedule accordingly based on your SEC slate. If you know you have Vandy and Florida on you schedule, limit the damage early season opponents can cause to your RPI but definitely schedule series you can win.

In 2 years, non-conference scheduling is going to require winnable games when Okla and UTex join.
    It's a quandry because our fans enjoy playing good brand named baseball teams and take pride in that. And then combine that with our fans not understanding RPI. I'm sure I'll get some disagreements- but we actually tend to overschedule sometimes at least a little bit. We want to play in prestigious preseason tournaments and play people like Oregon State and then at Tulane and then Texas Tech in Biloxi. And then when our RPI is bad because we've lost all of those series our fans blame a random loss to Northern Kentucky for tanking our entire RPI. And that's not how it works. As far as RPI goes you're better off playing an easy OOC schedule and winning those games than you are playing a killer schedule and losing half of them. We may be better off backing off a little bit and maybe playing in a tournament or a home and home against Texas Tech rather than both in the same season.

Quote Originally Posted by WinningIsRelentless View Post
    Clark better start hitting better than .250 or he will find his butt riding the bench.
    He was hitting better in the Cape for average. I'm optimistic at this point.

With the lineup posted here, we're a national title contender. Not bottom 2 in the SEC.

We will have had the 2nd best portal haul of the year behind LSU & that's only if Little and Carter Young are good
    I agree. And I don't think Tommy Tanks was a fit for us really. We need to finish it off with Kelly and Skenes.

I wouldn't have taken either of the two. Now, they may work out. But the limitations we have money wise, no chance.
    I wouldn't either. I'm not sure that Young could beat out Forsythe at this point. He would have to improve his average by a good bit and then I'm not sure that he's better defensively than Forsythe either. Not to where the 2-5 home runs justify bringing him in. I don't think Little fits our culture to be honest with you. Especially with Lemonis trying to re-establish it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TALL DAWG View Post
    Can we not pay Luke $10-$15k in NIL $ to get him to come back? Having good senior leadership in Luke would be a great ?glue guy? as Coach 34 mentioned.
    I'm sure we will offer him, Preston, Brandon Smith, Kam James, and KC Hunt NIL. But we're in wait and see mode with that because we aren't going to show our cards until after the draft.

I'm also guessing that we'll have to offer a lot more than 10-15K too.

vCash
    The catcher from Madison Central is going to be legit. I would bet some money on him getting some innings

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TALL DAWG View Post
    Like has a nil deal. And it will be bigger if he comes back. It's up to him if he wants to get on w his life or not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    The catcher from Madison Central is going to be legit. I would bet some money on him getting some innings
    He has a lot of tools. I'm not sure he's ready for the every day fire if the sec yet. But he's going to play some no doubt.

vCash
    He has a lot of tools. I'm not sure he's ready for the every day fire if the sec yet. But he's going to play some no doubt.
    That's why I think Hancock coming back would be huge. It would allow Highfill to get his feet wet without throwing him off in the deep end. And then he could take over next year (we don't need to count out Bryce Hubbard though).

But like you said, it's just up to him on what he wants to do.

vCash
    is it safe to assume we won't get any return from the pitching that got hurt this year (L Sims) ? .... I know he got hurt early and had surgery early but I don't know how long it takes to fully recover
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    is it safe to assume we won't get any return from the pitching that got hurt this year (L Sims) ? .... I know he got hurt early and had surgery early but I don't know how long it takes to fully recover
    Sims will go early in the draft(first or second round), he's gone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    Sims is about to be a millionaire. He's done with college. Simmons likely cant contribute in time if he returns
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Keeping Hunt and Preston would be really nice. If that happens and Pico can make a jump then our staff next year is world better than what we finished the last month of this season with.

Archimedes
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    That's a good point. I would like to see us win 25 SEC games a year even in the West because I'm greedy though. Competition be damned!

It's a quandry because our fans enjoy playing good brand named baseball teams and take pride in that. And then combine that with our fans not understanding RPI. I'm sure I'll get some disagreements- but we actually tend to overschedule sometimes at least a little bit. We want to play in prestigious preseason tournaments and play people like Oregon State and then at Tulane and then Texas Tech in Biloxi. And then when our RPI is bad because we've lost all of those series our fans blame a random loss to Northern Kentucky for tanking our entire RPI. And that's not how it works. As far as RPI goes you're better off playing an easy OOC schedule and winning those games than you are playing a killer schedule and losing half of them. We may be better off backing off a little bit and maybe playing in a tournament or a home and home against Texas Tech rather than both in the same season.

He was hitting better in the Cape for average. I'm optimistic at this point.

I agree. And I don't think Tommy Tanks was a fit for us really. We need to finish it off with Kelly and Skenes.

I wouldn't either. I'm not sure that Young could beat out Forsythe at this point. He would have to improve his average by a good bit and then I'm not sure that he's better defensively than Forsythe either. Not to where the 2-5 home runs justify bringing him in. I don't think Little fits our culture to be honest with you. Especially with Lemonis trying to re-establish it.
    He is hitting 245!!!!! That?s not hitting better. At this point we should plan a replacement for him and if he surprised us good if not move on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WinningIsRelentless View Post
    He is hitting 245!!!!! That?s not hitting better. At this point we should plan a replacement for him and if he surprised us good if not move on.
    It's the best league in America w a wooden bat. Limited at bats. I'm not saying he's going to hit 300 but the usage of that stat in this instance, is worthless... matter of fact he didn't if sniff that last summer, so he'a better.
    Last edited by Homedawg; 07-05-2022 at 06:31 PM.

vCash
    It's the best league in America w a wooden bat. Limited at bats. I'm not saying he's going to hit 300 but the usage of that stat in this instance, is worthless... matter of fact he didn't if sniff that last summer, so he'a better.
    Speaking of the best in America, I saw where Bianco trimmed Team USA from 51 to 26 players with 8 being from the SEC. I don't imagine we had any Bulldogs that were at the team trials, BUT to me that is definitely part of the problem with LY's roster and overall team results. Skenes did make the roster fwiw.

Archimedes
    vCash
    17 K?s, 5 walks and only 12 hits in 49 AB?s. He has issues at the plate.