Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Next year's potential lineup

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    Christian Little of Vanderbilt seems headed to LSU. "Geaux Tigers" tweeted out.
    Yeah I think he committed last week.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    Everybody else in the West is loading up as well.
    Doesn't really matter. All we have to do is be good enough to get to the postseason. I would love for us to have some teams like Arkansas and Tennessee had last year and this year respectively where we dominate and get 25 SEC wins. But with national championships at the end of the year.

The biggest thing I see is we need to learn to handle success much better than we did last year. We have to be Nick Saban ruthless rather than keep guys around because we're nice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    1. Amani Larry 2B
    2. Colton Ledbetter LF
    3. Hunter Hines 1B
    4. Bill Knight CF
    5. Paul Skenes DH
    6. Kellum Clark RF
    7. Luke Hancock C
    8. Slate Alford 3B
    9. Lane Forsythe SS

That's assuming Hancock comes back, which is a legit possibility. It's also assuming we get Skenes which is a possibility, but not a given. It's also assuming Kam goes pro, but it's possible he comes back and if he does, you could slide him in for Alford and bump him up a few spots in the lineup. Regardless of how it all shakes out, we've got a legit lineup on our hands, and we're an ace away (Skenes) from being a national championship favorite right now.

Fri- Skenes
    Sat- Cade
    Sun- Gartman/KC Hunt

Bullpen- Dohm (could start), Fristoe, Nixon, Jackson Kelley (soon), Pico, P. Johnson (iffy), Cheatham, Loftin and Cjente (if they make it to campus), Holcombe, Brandon Smith (could come back), other freshmen pitchers.

We gon' be alright.
    As you can see this lineup has a lot more speed in it and that should allow us to be more versatile and flexible on offense. At the same time I don't think we're losing a lot of power either. Hopefully with guys on base more often will hit more 2-4 run home runs instead of random solo shots.

The pitching staff needed to be overhauled. There is going to be so much competition in the fall it's going to be crazy. It's also almost impossible to predict too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Doesn't really matter. All we have to do is be good enough to get to the postseason. I would love for us to have some teams like Arkansas and Tennessee had last year and this year respectively where we dominate and get 25 SEC wins. But with national championships at the end of the year.

The biggest thing I see is we need to learn to handle success much better than we did last year. We have to be Nick Saban ruthless rather than keep guys around because we're nice.
    We were pretty close to that in '16, but only had 21 wins. But, we have to remember they play in the East - and the East winner has an advantage playing at least 3 so-so to bad programs in UK, Missouri, and USC. Plus Florida and Vandy were not their typical juggernauts this year and UGA was a different team every weekend. I think in the West they are probably closer to a 20 win team than 25.

vCash
    I think the recipe is get to 16-18 wins in SEC, schedule wins in the mid week so that you can build depth, and qualify for Hoover. Get out of Hoover as fast as possible if you know you will host a Regional. You want to be Top 16 when the Regionals are announced if possible. 37 wins will usually get MSU a host spot. Schedule accordingly based on your SEC slate. If you know you have Vandy and Florida on you schedule, limit the damage early season opponents can cause to your RPI but definitely schedule series you can win.

In 2 years, non-conference scheduling is going to require winnable games when Okla and UTex join.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    I think the recipe is get to 16-18 wins in SEC, schedule wins in the mid week so that you can build depth, and qualify for Hoover. Get out of Hoover as fast as possible if you know you will host a Regional. You want to be Top 16 when the Regionals are announced if possible. 37 wins will usually get MSU a host spot. Schedule accordingly based on your SEC slate. If you know you have Vandy and Florida on you schedule, limit the damage early season opponents can cause to your RPI but definitely schedule series you can win.

In 2 years, non-conference scheduling is going to require winnable games when Okla and UTex join.
    I want winnable games in non-conf but I'd like to see us stop scheduling the Northern Kentucky's and Princeton's of the world.

Not that it mattered much this year anyway, but those are absolute RPI killers, even if you win. God forbid you lose one.

I'd like to see us schedule games with teams more like Troy, Sam Houston State, South Alabama, FAU, UAB, UCF, etc.

Those are all teams in the 80-110ish RPI range that we most likely will beat but won't destroy our RPI if we don't. It never hurts to be tested either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    ^^^^^This ^^^^^ we had way too many players on our Roster that were not SEC quality players. Non of our starters were really pushed by any of the bench players.

vCash
    Yes. That is my point as well. Don?t play a bunch of RPI killers but don?t schedule a Top 10 non-Conf schedule either. We have a reputation. We are in the SEC.we don?t need to prove we can beat Omaha quality Non-SEC opponents early in the year. We play enough of those in SEC play.

A 16-10 non-con schedule doesn?t do a lot of good of you go 14-16 in Conf. But 20-6 non Conf record sure looks better when you are 14-16 in the SEC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    The portal is an awesome tool for us this season when we were in trouble without it. Still, it's kinda sad to see free agency in college baseball also
    I agree. Such mixed feelings.

Archimedes
    vCash
    Clark better start hitting better than .250 or he will find his butt riding the bench.

vCash
    D1 baseball Currently has us as the number 4 team preseason for next year. That's a lot higher than I would of thought.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    D1 baseball Currently has us as the number 4 team preseason for next year. That's a lot higher than I would of thought.
    You sure that’s not from last year? That’s what we were ranked last year preseason.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Probably got us confused with Mississippi; you know there is only one school in MS per the media.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TNDawg35 View Post
    You sure that?s not from last year? That?s what we were ranked last year preseason.
    You are correct - I'm an idiot

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Probably got us confused with Mississippi; you know there is only one school in MS per the media.
    Oh you can go ahead and pencil them into the top 10 next year. It doesn’t matter if they are loosing their whole
    Line up, they will be top 10…

vCash
    The whole SEC west will be top 15 other than bama and msu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho View Post
    The whole SEC west will be top 15 other than bama and msu
    With the lineup posted here, we're a national title contender. Not bottom 2 in the SEC.

We will have had the 2nd best portal haul of the year behind LSU & that's only if Little and Carter Young are good
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    With the lineup posted here, we're a national title contender. Not bottom 2 in the SEC.

We will have had the 2nd best portal haul of the year behind LSU & that's only if Little and Carter Young are good
    Good to see you back and I agree!

vCash

I wouldn't have taken either of the two. Now, they may work out. But the limitations we have money wise, no chance.

vCash

Good post and welcome back.