Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Basketball transfers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 662dawg View Post
    He had one year where he only bought in 3 players. The others were mostly huge classes. Jans will recruit just as well. Get Hubbard next year and he's basically on par with Howland's overall recruiting.
    Huh? Getting Hubbard puts him on par with Howland's overall recruiting? How?????? Jans isn't in the same field as Howland when it comes to recruiting yet. Getting Hubbard puts him there? Name one highly rated recruit under Jans' belt. Look at these guys he just brought in... none were highly recruited. He brought in New Mexico State talent to the SEC.. and thats no disrespect to the players.. I do think Eric Reed will contribute because he can shoot the ball but let's not act like Jans is close to Howland when it comes to recruiting because he is not. He's a heck of a coach though and that's why we will win

vCash
    So what's best guess at starting 5 come November?

Our 500th Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCMSTFAN View Post
    Huh? Getting Hubbard puts him on par with Howland's overall recruiting? How?????? Jans isn't in the same field as Howland when it comes to recruiting yet. Getting Hubbard puts him there? Name one highly rated recruit under Jans' belt. Look at these guys he just brought in... none were highly recruited. He brought in New Mexico State talent to the SEC.. and thats no disrespect to the players.. I do think Eric Reed will contribute because he can shoot the ball but let's not act like Jans is close to Howland when it comes to recruiting because he is not. He's a heck of a coach though and that's why we will win
    Well I figured you'd understand that I meant "yearly" recruiting while at State being Jans hasn't been around near as long as Howland.

Jans did a helluva job with that New Mexico State talent.

And I stand by my comment. Jans will recruit every bit as well as Howland here. Just like Stans & Richard Williams did.

vCash
    Well I figured you'd understand that I meant "yearly" recruiting while at State being Jans hasn't been around near as long as Howland.

Jans did a helluva job with that New Mexico State talent.

And I stand by my comment. Jans will recruit every bit as well as Howland here. Just like Stans & Richard Williams did.
    Yes he did do well with New Mexico State talent... but would they have won as many games as they did if they were in the SEC? No.... he will have to get SEC talent

vCash
    I think a good barometer of Jans' coaching ability will be DJ Jeffries. Jeffries has talent, but he's played under an inexperienced coach and an older one. If jans can unlock DJ, this season could be ok

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    So what's best guess at starting 5 come November?
    I'm not sure how Jans coached yet or his style but I would say:

PG: DeShawn Davis
    SG: Shakeel Moore
    SF: DJ Jeffries
    PF: Keyshawn Murphy
    C: Tolu Smith

Again, I'm not familiar with Jans' style yet or the lineups he likes to use so that's my guess. He may also bring Moore off the bench and start Eric Reed. He also may use Jeffries as a stretch 4 sometimes too

vCash
    I think a good barometer of Jans' coaching ability will be DJ Jeffries. Jeffries has talent, but he's played under an inexperienced coach and an older one. If jans can unlock DJ, this season could be ok
    Good post and I ageee. DJ needs to be our go to guy.. we don't have a Molinar, Stewart, Weatherspoon or any of those other go to players of the past on this team. If Jans can unlock Jeffries potential we can be really good and as you said that will show how good of a coach Jans is.

vCash
    My point is he did not elevate our recruiting any better than say, Stans or Richard Williams. We were bringing in the same type of talent that we became accustomed to & nothing more, except during the Rick Ray era.

What if a few of the players Jans brought in this year turns out to be legit?

Let's not act like Howland was bringing in players like Pearl at Auburn and the Alabama coach is bringing in. Schools with less basketball prestige than MSU. That's great/elite recruiting.
    Basketball Prestige? Do you think we are Duke? We have had one Final Four appearance in our history. That doesn?t make us prestigious. Most years, in our good years, we battled with Bama to win the west..

Our 500th Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BankerDog View Post
    Basketball Prestige? Do you think we are Duke? We have had one Final Four appearance in our history. That doesn?t make us prestigious. Most years, in our good years, we battled with Bama to win the west..
    Literally the reason I mentioned Auburn and Alabama is because I believe Howland, hailed as a great recruiter here, should have at least recruited on the same level as they have if he were truly "elite" or "great".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BankerDog View Post
    Ncaa tourney appearances
    Auburn 11
    State 11
    Bama 22

Not sure how we have a better basketball history than auburn. We in no way are better than bama.

Our 500th Member
    vCash
    Ncaa tourney appearances
    Auburn 11
    State 11
    Bama 22

Not sure how we have a better basketball history than auburn. We in no way are better than bama.
    Now do Bama's last 30 years where they've only had 11 20+ wins seasons. Auburn has 8 in that same period. We have 15. I'd say we've had a better overall basketball program than both the past 30 years.

vCash
    Honestly we haven't been on Auburn or Bama's level since we had Stansbury.. Stans kept us relevant and had us in the tourney most years, we just never advanced far.

vCash
    Now do Bama's last 30 years where they've only had 11 20+ wins seasons. Auburn has 8 in that same period. We have 15. I'd say we've had a better overall basketball program than both the past 30 years.
    Why an arbitrary number like 30? What about 20? What about 10?

Our 500th Member
    vCash
    Why an arbitrary number like 30? What about 20? What about 10?
    Because it's the history most recruits will know about & remember. But yea do 10 or 20 if you'd like. Not much changes.

Our 500th Member
    vCash
    Honestly we haven't been on Auburn or Bama's level since we had Stansbury.. Stans kept us relevant and had us in the tourney most years, we just never advanced far.
    This is categorically false but carry on. Not to mention as "great" a recruiter as Howland was you'd have thought we'd taken the next step at least recruiting wise, correct?

vCash
    This is categorically false but carry on. Not to mention as "great" a recruiter as Howland was you'd have thought we'd taken the next step at least recruiting wise, correct?
    How is this false? Do you even watch basketball?? What have we done since Stansbury left? Nothing..... but like Howland, Stansbury is a heck of a recruiter, it's his strength, just like Howland.. I can name a ton of 4 and 5 star guys they both brought to State. But unfortunately neither of them coached well enough for that to equate to major success. Stans did have more success than Howland though.

vCash
    Because it's the history most recruits will know about & remember. But yea do 10 or 20 if you'd like. Not much changes.
    If it's recruits 5-10 years is all that matters

vCash
    If it's recruits 5-10 years is all that matters
    90% of our recruits know very little about college basketball. They dont watch it. They watch the NBA and play NBA 2K on PS or XBox
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    90% of our recruits know very little about college basketball. They dont watch it. They watch the NBA and play NBA 2K on PS or XBox
    Is it possible we will see at some point academics and athletics become completely separate? Athletics turning into another pay for play level? Is it fair to say more and more athletes do not care about the education?

Our 500th Member
    vCash
    How is this false? Do you even watch basketball?? What have we done since Stansbury left? Nothing..... but like Howland, Stansbury is a heck of a recruiter, it's his strength, just like Howland.. I can name a ton of 4 and 5 star guys they both brought to State. But unfortunately neither of them coached well enough for that to equate to major success. Stans did have more success than Howland though.
    There's a thing called Google. Look it up and you'll understand how incorrect you are about what you stated.