Iverson Molinar signed with Milwaukee Bucks
    Garrison Brooks signed with New York Knicks
    Tyson Carter 4 star
    Nick Weatherspoon 5/4 star
    Aric Holman 4 star played with Lakers and Spurs summer league
    Mario Kegler 4 star
    Abdul Ado 4 star
    Lamar Peter 4 star

Howland recruited a ton of talent... he just didn't coach them well but no one can say he wasn't a good receuiter. I'll debate this all day long
    Tolu should be on this list

Our 500th Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCMSTFAN View Post
    See above post smh.. Jans won't come close to Howland as a recruiter...
    Sorry friend but that is NOT elite recruiting. So sign about one 4* star per year, maybe two a year or two & he's right on par with Howland recruiting wise. Several of them were also busts or didn't live up to the hype.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    Agree. Howland was a great recruiter. We have to wait and see what coaching does here instead of recruiting.
    This is correct. I've watched a few classics from the Stans era. Just need a couple of blue chippers and a lot of hard nosed get it done type guys. You can win with that.

We/ve already tried the recruiting championship approach and it didn't work.

Jans MO is the later; lets wait and see what happens.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 662dawg View Post
    Sorry friend but that is NOT elite recruiting. So sign about one 4* star per year, maybe two a year or two & he's right on par with Howland recruiting wise. Several of them were also busts or didn't live up to the hype.
    It's relative. "Elite" recruiting at miss state is different than at Florida, Kentucky, lsu, etc.

So you thought we lost bc of talent? If the talent was subpar, then howland did a solid job of coaching.
    Last edited by msstate7; 07-02-2022 at 08:06 AM.

vCash
    Your playing on words now, I never said elite... I said he was a good recruiter, which he was..if anyone thinks otherwise they don't know basketball. Howland brought in a ton of talent to State, that's why it's so disappointing he didn't win the way he should have

Our 500th Member
    vCash
    Your playing on words now, I never said elite... I said he was a good recruiter, which he was..if anyone thinks otherwise they don't know basketball. Howland brought in a ton of talent to State, that's why it's so disappointing he didn't win the way he should have
    I know basketball and Jans will recruit on par with what Howland did here. Just like the coaches before him, except Rick Ray. And Jans is known to be a really good X & O's coach.

Our 500th Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    It's relative. "Elite" recruiting at miss state is different than at Florida, Kentucky, lsu, etc.

So you thought we lost bc of talent? If the talent was subpar, then howland did a solid job of coaching.
    I disagree. Elite or great means just that no matter where you are. And Howland did do a "solid" job here regardless of the false narratives. It was just time to move on. I'm excited about Jans.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post

Howland did fine recruiting, his problem was floor coaching and player development. He was obviously a good coach back in the day but either he was past his prime or the game has passed him by. The days of never playing but one style of defense and having no clue how to attack a zone on offense (as a couple of examples) and still be successful are long gone.

vCash
    Howland was a good recruiter, not elite. I was a huge Howland supporter and will always be grateful for him pulling us out of the Rick Ray disaster.

I think Jans is a far superior floor coach, so we have to hope he learns how to land some of these high profile transfers in the NIL world. We were on several big time players this season, and simply got outbid. Jans has made huge strides with some of the big basketball supporters and I think you'll see us nab a couple big time transfers moving forward.

JC is feeling the heat from inside the big donors too. He is going to be lucky if he survives this season as AD.

vCash
    Howland got talent. He just did nothing with it.

vCash
    I know basketball and Jans will recruit on par with what Howland did here. Just like the coaches before him, except Rick Ray. And Jans is known to be a really good X & O's coach.
    What are you basing that off? What highly recruited guys has Jans brought in at his prior programs? Say what you want about Howland but the guy brought in really good talent. I hope Jans can, but so far I'm not impressed with his recruiting. I know it's early and he will have time but let's not act like he's on Howland's level in terms of recruiting

vCash
    Malik Newman.. Mcdonalds All American
    Quinndary Weatherspoon drafted by the Spurs
    Reggie Perry McDonald's AA drafted by Brooklyn
    Robert Woodard drafted by Sacramento
    Dj Stewart 4 star, signed with Miami heat
    Iverson Molinar signed with Milwaukee Bucks
    Garrison Brooks signed with New York Knicks
    Tyson Carter 4 star
    Nick Weatherspoon 5/4 star
    Aric Holman 4 star played with Lakers and Spurs summer league
    Mario Kegler 4 star
    Abdul Ado 4 star
    Lamar Peter 4 star

Howland recruited a ton of talent... he just didn't coach them well but no one can say he wasn't a good receuiter. I'll debate this all day long
    Howland had one class rated top 10, another rated 16, and the rest were not top 25.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedFedder View Post
    Howland had one class rated top 10, another rated 16, and the rest were not top 25.
    There?s 352 schools that play D1 basketball, and most years you only sign 2-3 guys.

Our 500th Member
    vCash
    What are you basing that off? What highly recruited guys has Jans brought in at his prior programs? Say what you want about Howland but the guy brought in really good talent. I hope Jans can, but so far I'm not impressed with his recruiting. I know it's early and he will have time but let's not act like he's on Howland's level in terms of recruiting
    My point is he did not elevate our recruiting any better than say, Stans or Richard Williams. We were bringing in the same type of talent that we became accustomed to & nothing more, except during the Rick Ray era.

What if a few of the players Jans brought in this year turns out to be legit?

Let's not act like Howland was bringing in players like Pearl at Auburn and the Alabama coach is bringing in. Schools with less basketball prestige than MSU. That's great/elite recruiting.

Our 500th Member
    vCash
    Bingo.

vCash
    My point is he did not elevate our recruiting any better than say, Stans or Richard Williams. We were bringing in the same type of talent that we became accustomed to & nothing more, except during the Rick Ray era.

What if a few of the players Jans brought in this year turns out to be legit?

Let's not act like Howland was bringing in players like Pearl at Auburn and the Alabama coach is bringing in. Schools with less basketball prestige than MSU. That's great/elite recruiting.
    Stans is also a really good recruiter.. look at the guys he is getting at Western Kentucky of all places.. Howland continued that.

vCash
    Bad analogy... some classes only saw a couple of guys come in. So let me get this straight, you don't think Howland was a good recruiter?

vCash
    He did recruit them and put them on the court but my deal with it was how some but not all of these high profile guys seemed just a touch uncoachable. Maybe they were simply looking to get to the league and bang some bucks. The defense was horrendous in spells and Howland simply had no clue vs a zone D, especially full court and I didn't feel like all the guys gave 100% like Q always did. I think Jans will have a harder playing team ans I am interested to see what type guys he signs in year 2 and beyond.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho View Post
    He did recruit them and put them on the court but my deal with it was how some but not all of these high profile guys seemed just a touch uncoachable. Maybe they were simply looking to get to the league and bang some bucks. The defense was horrendous in spells and Howland simply had no clue vs a zone D, especially full court and I didn't feel like all the guys gave 100% like Q always did. I think Jans will have a harder playing team ans I am interested to see what type guys he signs in year 2 and beyond.
    I think you are going to see the difference in Howland and Jan?s that you did in The Womens coaching transition year over year.

May not have the talent to win the SEC but they will play harder under Jan?s than they did under Howland, and will win more because of it.

Our 500th Member
    vCash
    Bad analogy... some classes only saw a couple of guys come in. So let me get this straight, you don't think Howland was a good recruiter?
    He had one year where he only bought in 3 players. The others were mostly huge classes. Jans will recruit just as well. Get Hubbard next year and he's basically on par with Howland's overall recruiting.