Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NIL Update

vCash

NIL Update

Long time reader, first time poster. I will apologize in advance if I screw up the protocol. I have been following some of the NIL threads, and so I thought it would be best to try to directly provide an update on where things stand with The Bulldog Initiative.

First, we have received a number of key commitments over the past two months, with several more large individual and business commitments this week. We had a video conference with Starkville-area businesses last week, and the response to that has also been quite positive. As a result of that meeting, we are currently working with several companies to help them use NIL opportunities to promote their businesses. Their participation might or might not run through us ultimately, but that does not matter to us - we will help anyone get involved whether they are working directly with athletes or through working with us. I am also happy to do this presentation for any other business groups who may be interested.

Second, we are in what I hope are the final phases of testing on our web-based donor platform, which will allow individuals to set up an account where they can contribute monthly, quarterly, or yearly from as little as $5 per month. I expect this to be rolled out next week. If you would like to participate in the interim, you can contribute to The Bulldog Initiative, LLC, Post Office 1653, Starkville, MS 39760 or Venmo @TheBulldogInitiative. Otherwise, I will update here as soon as we go live. Right or wrong, we have been focusing on securing some larger contributions (good news - it is working), but it is time (some have said past time) to engage on the grass-roots level and to expand our outreach.

Third, we are continuing to enter agreements with student-athletes. There will be more announcements to come on that front later, but I have really enjoyed the interactions with them as we work to create some content and promote MSU and the area. Every single one of them has taken seriously the obligation to represent MSU athletics and the community in a positive light.

Fourth, I apologize for not having jumped in sooner. Quick summary of what I would have said if I did: I get frustrated (as evidenced by my podcast) by some of the mega-deals we hear about, but our contributors have already made a difference by their participation. It is like starting pitching in MLB - we always need more, but we are doing good things. There are some positive plans and details that I cannot yet share, but I can tell you unequivocally that the idea we are not in a position to make a difference or that our efforts are failing is categorically wrong. The curb appeal might need some work, but the foundation is solid. Are we outgunned by some others? Absolutely. Be we have been outgunned for most of our existence. This might go down in flames, and as some predict, we might suffer from NIL. But, screw it, let's go down fighting at least.

I know many people hate NIL - that's a long topic that could be discussed in detail; I just want to see us react to the reality that it is here until, hopefully, there is some legislation to help curtail this. Or to kill the transfer portal.

Shoot me a DM if you want to talk - I have some projects I am trying to push over the goal line but I will make whatever time that is necessary for phone calls, Zooms, etc. at night or this weekend.

vCash
    Welcome Charlie. Thanks for what you are doing. I've got some ideas and will be in touch over the next few days.

vCash
    Great post

vCash
    Appreciate all you're doing, Charlie! Please keep us posted on when the website is up and running!

vCash
    Scooba please delete my thread.

Thank you Charlie. When the site gets up and going, things should take off. I'll be glad to make monthly donations

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Scooba please delete my thread.

Thank you Charlie. When the site gets up and going, things should take off. I'll be glad to make monthly donations
    Done.

vCash
    Great job, Charlie. I know it is a very time consuming project. Thanks for what you are doing.

vCash
    Charlie - thanks for what you are doing and all you and Bart do with the LFL pod.

I've worked in non-profit capital campaigns since the mid 1990s. While the internet has changed some rules, in general there is 1 rule that still applies - get big donors on board first. Without them everything takes longer and people start to doubt the effort.
    I think you will see a whole lot of message board contributions at the grass roots level.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    thanks for the inside info and update ... there are so many of us that are willing ... we just need that conduit
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    thanks for the inside info and update ... there are so many of us that are willing ... we just need that conduit
    This!

vCash
    oh snap!

vCash
    Thanks, Charlie. Great to hear we are getting the NIL train moving. It's got me and several of my colleagues at work looking forward to contributing.

vCash
    Please pin this to the top. Everyone needs to try and contribute what they can. Even if it?s small. It all adds up. We have the advantage in numbers of invested fans in baseball. It will be hard to justify bitching if you don?t attempt to alleviate the problems.
    Last edited by MafiaDawg; 06-30-2022 at 12:51 PM.

vCash
    There is no reason everybody on here can't give $50 a month on average once the website is ready. Make it happen ED.

vCash
    If 5,000 people give $25 a month for a year, that comes out to $1.5M.

Easily doable and that doesn't even take into account big money guys and businesses that will really hammer this home.

I really hope our fanbase isn't stubborn when it comes to this.

vCash
    Good information Charlie. I plan to contribute to the fund.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    There is no reason everybody on here can't give $50 a month on average once the website is ready. Make it happen ED.
    Make the board subscription based with all proceeds going to NIL

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawdawg View Post
    I like this idea
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawdawg View Post
    Negative. Might be some other ideas brewing though.

vCash
    Are contributions to this format tax deductible? I plan to give either way, but Feds put the hammer to Bulldog Club contributions being a tax write off as we know. Hail State!