Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: We have got to do something about transfer rules.

vCash
    Yep. I used to watch the Saints and a few other NFL games, Monday night football and even Thursday night football. Heck, I hardly ever watch the Saints now. Ain?t usually don?t even watch all the Cowboys games if they are struggling. I could watch College Football all day on Saturday switching back and forth on the over-lapping games all the way to midnight. I never ever watch the NBA or the NHL. I would go to Friday night HS games of teams I have no affiliation with if the wife would give me both Fridays and Saturdays off.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    Yep. I used to watch the Saints and a few other NFL games, Monday night football and even Thursday night football. Heck, I hardly ever watch the Saints now. Ain?t usually don?t even watch all the Cowboys games if they are struggling. I could watch College Football all day on Saturday switching back and forth on the over-lapping games all the way to midnight. I never ever watch the NBA or the NHL. I would go to Friday night HS games of teams I have no affiliation with if the wife would give me both Fridays and Saturdays off.
    More and more people are giving up on sports altogether. I know a handful that have completely stopped watching or even paying attention anymore.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    It'll help baseball because we're a blue blood. We would be in DEEP **** next year if we didn't have the portal.

I feel like it might help basketball because there are so many mid to lower level schools that produce good players to choose from. We're not going to land the big fish in the portal, but we can get that next tier of guys. Similar to baseball, we'd be in trouble next year if not for the portal.

Football is about the same as it always has been. We may upgrade positions in a few spots, but so has the rest of our league, often times with even better players. Not many teams will be able to poach our team in baseball or basketball. We absolutely will get poached in football if we don't get with it
    It is more indirect in football. Remember those years when Bama would be missing a huge part of their team be it LBers or kickers? Well that will never happen again. They will never have a team that isn?t fully put together again. Even if they miss two years in a row at a position. Money comes out and the poach every other schools talent and back to full strength once again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    It is more indirect in football. Remember those years when Bama would be missing a huge part of their team be it LBers or kickers? Well that will never happen again. They will never have a team that isn?t fully put together again. Even if they miss two years in a row at a position. Money comes out and the poach every other schools talent and back to full strength once again.
    Yes but they also aren't the team they use to be anymore. They use to get all the top recruits. One 5* replace another. That's why Ole miss had a couple lucky years, they played Alabama early while those young players were learning- Alabama was almost always unstoppable towards the end of the year (when we always had to play them). That being said Alabama will continue being a top team as they will continue getting top players but things are a lot more competitive now that Tamu and Miami (and others, LSU) are outbidding them for players. I think they'll be a lot better team early compared to in the past though there will still be a learning curve for new transfers. Watch Saban retire in the not too near future now that he doesn't have the advantage he once had.
    Last edited by TheLostDawg; 07-05-2022 at 11:19 AM.

vCash
    I agree there needs to be more structure with the transfer rules and the NIL situation, but on the other hand the transfer rule change allows schools to get good fast, especially in baseball and basketball. In the old days, if you lost players to transfer and/or graduation you were re-building for the next few years with Freshman and JUCO guys. Now you can hit the portal and be relevant right away. Our baseball and basketball teams had to do it this off-season. It allows teams to rebuild right away.

The NIL does need a cap and does need to set better rules and boundaries, that will probably happen next year, there is no way it stays like this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCMSTFAN View Post

The NIL does need a cap and does need to set better rules and boundaries, that will probably happen next year, there is no way it stays like this.
    I feel your pain but there is no way to overturn the SCOTUS .... limit transfers to once is the only way to exercise some sense of control ... after all - the NCAA is still the governing agency that determines eligibility
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    I feel your pain but there is no way to overturn the SCOTUS .... limit transfers to once is the only way to exercise some sense of control ... after all - the NCAA is still the governing agency that determines eligibility
    If a player transfers more than once don't they have to sit out a year? One free transfer then sit a year if you want to transfer again?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    This is me too. Feels like I?ve been enlightened. Starting to look at those who haven?t seen the light as cavemen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCMSTFAN View Post
    If a player transfers more than once don't they have to sit out a year? One free transfer then sit a year if you want to transfer again?
    I think you're right ... maybe just tighten up the transfer criteria ... With the right NIL agreement they could almost afford to sit a year ... Just no easy answer. I don't think there will be a way to limit the money though.
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    I think you're right ... maybe just tighten up the transfer criteria ... With the right NIL agreement they could almost afford to sit a year ... Just no easy answer. I don't think there will be a way to limit the money though.
    What about a clause that says if you make more than $XXX NIL, name your amount, say $100K for example, then you no longer qualify under NCAA rules and you have to go pro. Similar to today if you sign an agent your are finished with college sports.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Extendedcab View Post
    What about a clause that says if you make more than $XXX NIL, name your amount, say $100K for example, then you no longer qualify under NCAA rules and you have to go pro. Similar to today if you sign an agent your are finished with college sports.
    I guess I still don't understand how a federal court can set eligibility requirements for the NCAA. Student athletes could have always been paid money its just that now when they get paid somehow the law won't let the NCAA tell them they are no longer amateurs?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    I guess I still don't understand how a federal court can set eligibility requirements for the NCAA. Student athletes could have always been paid money its just that now when they get paid somehow the law won't let the NCAA tell them they are no longer amateurs?
    I thought the NCAA set eligibility ... the courts just said they could make money on their NIL. I know in professional golf that amateurs forfeited their winnings or had to turn pro ... thus losing their amateur status. It just seems like the NCAA could come up with something if they really wanted to but probably don't want to spend millions in court fighting it

vCash
    I thought the NCAA set eligibility ... the courts just said they could make money on their NIL. I know in professional golf that amateurs forfeited their winnings or had to turn pro ... thus losing their amateur status. It just seems like the NCAA could come up with something if they really wanted to but probably don't want to spend millions in court fighting it
    Players could have always earned NIL type money if someone was willing to pay them. NCAA could not have stopped that and it was certainly not illegal. But no booster or business would openly pay a player if it cost that player their amateur status as a college athlete even if there were no potential NCAA sanctions involved for the school. So somewhere in all this mess the NCAA had to have changed their eligibility rules.

vCash
    Players could have always earned NIL type money if someone was willing to pay them. NCAA could not have stopped that and it was certainly not illegal. But no booster or business would openly pay a player if it cost that player their amateur status as a college athlete even if there were no potential NCAA sanctions involved for the school. So somewhere in all this mess the NCAA had to have changed their eligibility rules.
    No, they couldn't because the NCAA had rules that restricted NIL type activities. Remember Todd Gurley? Remember Tyrell Pryor and Ohio State's tattoo "scandal"? You could not sign autographs for money, get paid for product endorsements, trade autographs for tats, etc. You could barely work a summer job because some booster "might" pay you for a fake job. The reason we have this NIL mess is that the NCAA refused to evolve.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    That's literally what the Supreme Court said they couldn't do that has caused this change. The NCAA cannot take away their eligibility as a result of them receiving money/benefits from their NIL unless it is used as an inducement to play for that school. The problem is they have virtually no power to enforce the "inducement" part, so it's open season. Combine this with the free transfer portal situation and here we are.

vCash
    To be factual I have no idea what WE can do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    No, they couldn't because the NCAA had rules that restricted NIL type activities. Remember Todd Gurley? Remember Tyrell Pryor and Ohio State's tattoo "scandal"? You could not sign autographs for money, get paid for product endorsements, trade autographs for tats, etc. You could barely work a summer job because some booster "might" pay you for a fake job. The reason we have this NIL mess is that the NCAA refused to evolve.
    Sure they could. There was never anything illegal about an NIL deal so the NCAA could never actually have stopped it. Oh yes, if the deal had come from a booster of the school they could have levied sanctions on the school. But if it was from just some random business the only thing the NCAA could really do was to have taken away the eligibility of the player. But the NCAA never had authority to take away the money or the deal itself.

vCash
    Sure they could. There was never anything illegal about an NIL deal so the NCAA could never actually have stopped it. Oh yes, if the deal had come from a booster of the school they could have levied sanctions on the school. But if it was from just some random business the only thing the NCAA could really do was to have taken away the eligibility of the player. But the NCAA never had authority to take away the money or the deal itself.
    They forced Gurley to donate his money to charity. That's taking the money. You are just flat wrong about this. Taking away their eligibility means - guess what - they had rules restricting NIL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    They forced Gurley to donate his money to charity. That's taking the money. You are just flat wrong about this. Taking away their eligibility means - guess what - they had rules restricting NIL.
    this is correct and is why this ended up in the Supreme Court ... The student athletes on athletic scholarship couldn't even work a job while the school and everyone else was making money on them personally .... and that's when the SCOTUS ruled that these guys could be compensated ... The NCAA could probably had done more but saw this was an uphill battle that could never be won ... But the NCAA is the governing authority on eligibility and transfers .... and YES there were absolutely rules restricting HIL or other income

vCash
    this is correct and is why this ended up in the Supreme Court ... The student athletes on athletic scholarship couldn't even work a job while the school and everyone else was making money on them personally .... and that's when the SCOTUS ruled that these guys could be compensated ... The NCAA could probably had done more but saw this was an uphill battle that could never be won ... But the NCAA is the governing authority on eligibility and transfers .... and YES there were absolutely rules restricting HIL or other income
    Well, it could have been settled by collective bargaining. But, that would have meant admitting that players are employees, and have the right to organize and the NCAA knew that would end the gravy train as currently constructed.