Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: We have got to do something about transfer rules.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    They forced Gurley to donate his money to charity. That's taking the money. You are just flat wrong about this. Taking away their eligibility means - guess what - they had rules restricting NIL.
    OK then someone explain to me how they 'forced' Gurley to donate his own money? At gunpoint? Took over his bank account? I just don't see how the NCAA could forcibly take anyone's personal finances away. I mean we are talking about the NCAA here, not the IRS.

ETA: As I expected, you guys are totally off on this. The NCAA suspended Gurley unless he paid back the NIL money he earned. The NCAA had NO power to get to the money or stop Gurley from getting paid. They only had the power to prevent Gurley from playing college football. Gurley could have told the NCAA to go screw themselves and kept the money and waited for the draft if that had been his choice. I said from the very first that taking eligibility was exactly the only thing the NCAA could do but they have no power to stop an NIL payment. The courts have now apparently told the NCAA that they can't set their own eligibility rules.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marcede...h=1adf45c833d9
    Last edited by maroonmania; 07-11-2022 at 07:44 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    OK then someone explain to me how they 'forced' Gurley to donate his own money? At gunpoint? Took over his bank account? I just don't see how the NCAA could forcibly take anyone's personal finances away. I mean we are talking about the NCAA here, not the IRS.

ETA: As I expected, you guys are totally off on this. The NCAA suspended Gurley unless he paid back the NIL money he earned. The NCAA had NO power to get to the money or stop Gurley from getting paid. They only had the power to prevent Gurley from playing college football. Gurley could have told the NCAA to go screw themselves and kept the money and waited for the draft if that had been his choice. I said from the very first that taking eligibility was exactly the only thing the NCAA could do but they have no power to stop an NIL payment. The courts have now apparently told the NCAA that they can't set their own eligibility rules.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marcede...h=1adf45c833d9
    Jeeze Maroon ... nobody is implying they forced him at gunpoint to give up cash ... coercion was the tool ... to remain eligible for collegiate athletics he had to give up the money. UGA also had a receiver (Green) that year that had to pay back the price of a dinner that representatives of the Bengals had bought him
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    Jeeze Maroon ... nobody is implying they forced him at gunpoint to give up cash ... coercion was the tool ... to remain eligible for collegiate athletics he had to give up the money. UGA also had a receiver (Green) that year that had to pay back the price of a dinner that representatives of the Bengals had bought him
    And the NCAA did that regularly with "impermissible benefits" given to recruits all the time. Many times players have had to payback lodging, game tickets, travel costs etc - under threat of losing eligibility. The tactics for enforcing NIL were pretty much the same. And that eligibility threat was real, just ask Kevin Fant.

vCash
    It's not a mess. There's a perceived mess and a fear of it. So far everything is still pretty much the same except for people freaking out about what will happen to college sports. The sports themselves are pretty much the same. A time might come where that's not the case, but that's just speculation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    Did anyone even read my original post? I can't figure why anyone ever argued with me. I said players could have always been paid NIL money but it would have lost them their amateur status. It was Brunswick saying the NCAA 'forced' money to be donated and telling me I was flat wrong. NCAA didn't 'force' squat. Just told Gurley he would have to pay back the money if he wanted to be eligible. Everyone knew that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Did anyone even read my original post? I can't figure why anyone ever argued with me. I said players could have always been paid NIL money but it would have lost them their amateur status. It was Brunswick saying the NCAA 'forced' money to be donated and telling me I was flat wrong. NCAA didn't 'force' squat. Just told Gurley he would have to pay back the money if he wanted to be eligible. Everyone knew that.
    I guess we just have a different interpretation of what it means to be able to do something. In my mind, if NIL items were considered by the NCAA as impermissible benefits, and the NCAA had the power to strip you of your eligibility and your only option is to pay restitution to regain eligibility, then players didn't have the ability to take NIL money. Sure, technically they always could have - but if it gets you declared ineligible then why do it? And that is why it wasn't done. Players also have always had the ability get discounts on suits, have someone else pay for their tires, or have a coach pay their rent - it's only when they get caught that it is a problem, investigations start, NCAA investigators get laid, and schools get probation.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18