Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Some important NIL info and updates

vCash
    Truth. This will kill FB attendance if teams like us are just playing for the SEC check. Nothing but tv programming for the networks and warmup games for the blue bloods before the playoffs. Gene Simmons has said "Rock id Dead". College sports as we knew it is rapidly headed for life support. Attendance in person, no longer needed. See USFL. 2022. We still have 8 season tickets, used to be 12. Six family members nearly bailed for 2022. Been through much more bad than good in the last 55 years of being there. Don't like where this is seems to be heading. Even NFL has salary cap. Hail State!
    Last edited by Goldendawg; 06-28-2022 at 05:02 PM.

vCash
    If Bulldog Club donations decrease ticket prices and seat licenses will increase. So you redirect your Bulldog Club donations to NIL and you end up paying more money to attend games.
    I have no issue if this is the way it works out because I love Mississippi State and want the university to be successful in everything it does but I foresee more live music and traveling and less sporting events in my future.
    NASCAR priced me out in the 90s and I figured collegiate athletics would follow at some point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    The only people making the money are the players. Our NIL guys are working for free
    The Initiative folks are not the ones who have been making the money off the players NILs all these years. The whole argument that got us here is players were miffed that EVERYONE ELSE was making money off their NILs BUT them.

And us fans sure haven’t been getting any dividend checks.
    Last edited by EdwardDrayton; 06-28-2022 at 07:37 PM.

vCash
    34 can you opine as to why we were not organized on NIL, when we knew this was coming like everyone else? I realize this is different than Cohen?s normal over site, but couldn?t he have asked someone to run it or express the need for it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EdwardDrayton View Post
    The Initiative folks are not the ones who have been making the money off the players NILs all these years. The whole argument that got us here is players were miffed that EVERYONE ELSE was making money off their NILs BUT them.

And us fans sure haven’t been getting any dividend checks.
    NIL just started so there is no "all these years".
    The players are being paid NOW.

I'm not understanding your point

This concept is simple- athletes have to be paid now. It has to be done by fans and it has to be done by businesses who use it for advertising. Either we get on board or our programs will fade into Bolivian.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IMissJack View Post
    34 can you opine as to why we were not organized on NIL, when we knew this was coming like everyone else? I realize this is different than Cohen?s normal over site, but couldn?t he have asked someone to run it or express the need for it?
    I could try and sugar coat it but basically we tried to halfass it in the beginning. It appears our view of NIL was a necessary evil when other schools like A&M looked at it as an opportunity. We quickly began to figure out other schools are serious about this shit and we better start getting there ourselves. Us losing the guy to Mizzou was yet another wake-up call about where we are vs other schools.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LC Dawg View Post
    If Bulldog Club donations decrease ticket prices and seat licenses will increase. So you redirect your Bulldog Club donations to NIL and you end up paying more money to attend games.
    If we dont have players- nobody is going to buy tickets. This is a new age and the BC is going to have to understand where we are in this.

And the businesses in Sville better understand where we are in this. Without players- we will keep being thrown into the 11am time slot for football and money spent in Sville will continue to drop. They already know the difference the impact of 6pm vs 11am makes.
    Last edited by Coach34; 06-28-2022 at 08:01 PM.

vCash
    I could try and sugar coat it but basically we tried to halfass it in the beginning. It appears our view of NIL was a necessary evil when other schools like A&M looked at it as an opportunity. We quickly began to figure out other schools are serious about this shit and we better start getting there ourselves. Us losing the guy to Mizzou was yet another wake-up call about where we are vs other schools.
    I got blasted for saying we would "Mississippi State" it up when NIL first was introduced. We've always been the last to change and adapt. I was hoping we'd take charge for once. Hoping it's not too late.

vCash

This concept is simple- athletes have to be paid now. It has to be done by fans and it has to be done by businesses who use it for advertising. Either we get on board or our programs will fade into Bolivian.
    I think he?s asking why it took so long to form a collective or initiative. In my opinion our infant ?organization? was focused on educating student athletes on how to be responsible and how to safely navigate NIL within the framework of the NCAA. While on the surface this is great and looks good in the headlines, however in the real world schools like Florida with the Gator Collective came out utilizing NIL to what we see it is now: paying players and recruits. For some inexplicable reason we thought that players wouldn?t be getting paid real sums of money across the country. We were naive in thinking it wasn?t easy for player A to get a large sum from a group funneling money into one fund - which at the time we did not have.

vCash

Well, I’ll agree your perspective is simplistic. The broader understanding will come to roost eventually. College sports will not survive.

vCash
    Well, I’ll agree your perspective is simplistic. The broader understanding will come to roost eventually. College sports will not survive.
    I'm just talking about where we are today. What you are talking about is fact and something has to change eventually. But until it does? This is where we are

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawdawg View Post
    I think he?s asking why it took so long to form a collective or initiative. In my opinion our infant ?organization? was focused on educating student athletes on how to be responsible and how to safely navigate NIL within the framework of the NCAA. While on the surface this is great and looks good in the headlines, however in the real world schools like Florida with the Gator Collective came out utilizing NIL to what we see it is now: paying players and recruits. For some inexplicable reason we thought that players wouldn?t be getting paid real sums of money across the country. We were naive in thinking it wasn?t easy for player A to get a large sum from a group funneling money into one fund - which at the time we did not have.
    Gotcha. And you are most likely correct

vCash
    I'm just talking about where we are today. What you are talking about is fact and something has to change eventually. But until it does? This is where we are
    You do see. It’s a hard pill to swallow that fans are being asked to keep it on life support until hopefully things do change. And yes this is unfortunately where we are. It sucks.

vCash
    You do see. It’s a hard pill to swallow that fans are being asked to keep it on life support until hopefully things do change. And yes this is unfortunately where we are. It sucks.
    We have to try to win 8 in football. There is no chance of us winning anything anymore
    We have to focus on 3-4 quality guys in bball
    Baseball takes 1MM to stay in the top 10- we can do that

vCash
    Ask yourself this Raw. What entities were making all the money the players wanted a piece of? Hint: it wasn’t the fan base.

vCash
    One more reason for me to doubt our leadership.

vCash
    Ask yourself this Raw. What entities were making all the money the players wanted a piece of? Hint: it wasn’t the fan base.
    Obviously, but that?s irrelevant because the school can not pay players out of its funds so you have to have a brokered third party do it which is the Bulldog Initiative. Our problem is we?re months behind everyone else.

vCash
    I think the law the MS Legislature passed didn't help us either - as we tend to over correct and over enforce on ourselves - we weren't going to bend the "school can't be involved" law. Meanwhile, most other schools don't have that handicap, and OM doesn't follow rules anyway so they didn't GAF and we fell behind.

vCash
    Obviously, but that?s irrelevant because the school can not pay players out of its funds so you have to have a brokered third party do it which is the Bulldog Initiative. Our problem is we?re months behind everyone else.
    We will see if the fan base thinks it’s irrelevant. Think fans rather will want this shit model changed and quick. And not sure our leadership being reluctant to wade into this cluster is something less than admirable.

vCash
    We will see if the fan base thinks it?s irrelevant. Think fans rather will want this shit model changed and quick. And not sure our leadership being reluctant to wade into this cluster is something less than admirable.
    What our fanbase thinks is really irrelevant. It what the top college teams think. Either we compete now with money or we die as a sports program. We have no choice. If you are ready to give up on college sports? So be it. Other schools are not and are ramping up money to get better