Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Former MSU Pitching Coach Wes Johnson to LSU

vCash

Former MSU Pitching Coach Wes Johnson to LSU

Coming from the Minnesota Twins. get out the weighted balls and get the Tommy John surgeons lined up.

vCash
    There's a reason Wes doesn't stay anywhere very long.

vCash
    Perfect fit for those guys, & the rest of the league.

vCash
    Twins are first place in the division and Top 10 in MLB in fewest runs allowed.

I've seen folks hinting that the money colleges are throwing around for assistant coaches is making MLB look bad. I've heard that with this situation.

I get Wes moves around a lot, but it's hard to knock the fact he was an MLB pitching coach for a first place team and now going to a direct competitor with us.

That's a big deal and I hope we are paying attention.

vCash
    Twins are 11th in ERA and were 26th last year. He's basically doubling his pay and was one of the lower paid MLB pitching coaches. He's not a bad coach. But his focus is straight up velo.
    Last edited by Cooterpoot; 06-27-2022 at 04:08 AM.

vCash
    I wonder if he will live in a hotel in Baton Rouge like he did while he was in Starkville.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Twins are 11th in ERA and were 26th last year. He's basically doubling his pay and was one of the lower paid MLB pitching coaches. He's not a bad coach. But his focus is straight up velo.
    Numbers coming out this morning saying he was making $350,000 with the Twins and will make $500,000+ with LSU. Born in Arkansas too so he's going to be a lot closer to home for a considerable amount more money.

It's just crazy that college teams are paying that much more than pro teams for assistant coaches. Like I said, hope we are taking notes because LSU is definitely not playing around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    Numbers coming out this morning saying he was making $350,000 with the Twins and will make $500,000+ with LSU. Born in Arkansas too so he's going to be a lot closer to home for a considerable amount more money.

It's just crazy that college teams are paying that much more than pro teams for assistant coaches. Like I said, hope we are taking notes because LSU is definitely not playing around.
    After OM this week saw they couldn't come up with the money needed for a manning, I expect them to pour money into baseball also

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    Twins are first place in the division and Top 10 in MLB in fewest runs allowed.

I've seen folks hinting that the money colleges are throwing around for assistant coaches is making MLB look bad. I've heard that with this situation.

I get Wes moves around a lot, but it's hard to knock the fact he was an MLB pitching coach for a first place team and now going to a direct competitor with us.

That's a big deal and I hope we are paying attention.
    I do too. I thought when we brought Lemonis in, we were going to do something like this since at the time we saved on hiring Lemonis.

vCash
    You guys do realize we paid Foxhall the highest salary of any assistant in the country at the time right?

vCash
    You guys do realize we paid Foxhall the highest salary of any assistant in the country at the time right?
    This, we've never skimped on baseball salaries.

vCash
    And I'm pretty sure Goat's salary is pretty high as well.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    After OM this week saw they couldn't come up with the money needed for a manning, I expect them to pour money into baseball also
    Arch was never going to go to OM. He is like Peyton and wants to be his own guy. He only mentioned them sporadically out of respect to his Dad and Grandfather.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Arch was never going to go to OM. He is like Peyton and wants to be his own guy. He only mentioned them sporadically out of respect to his Dad and Grandfather.
    Well fine, throw him out. They can't compete with the big boys in football now that cheating is legal. I expect them to use some of that money to get baseball players. We should do the same

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Well fine, throw him out. They can't compete with the big boys in football now that cheating is legal. I expect them to use some of that money to get baseball players. We should do the same
    Oh I agree there. NIL has made competing more expensive in everything and that is a problem for us
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    If NIL is the driving issue for success why give to the Bulldog Club? Just give to NIL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    If NIL is the driving issue for success why give to the Bulldog Club? Just give to NIL.
    I've wondered just how much the Bulldog Club gets annually from the seat license fees for football and basketball (not sure if baseball has the same arrangement). Should be a pretty tidy sum.
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

vCash
    When have we ever competed with the big boys in football? This is nothing new. It's the schools similar or behind us that are about to pass us up that's going to be the bigger issue. That and the fact schools like LSU will have fewer down years. That and schools like Miami that faded away will be coming back now. We were never going to compete with Alabama and haven't for over a decade now really. We go from around a top 30 or so program to a around 50 now probably. Only thing saving us is the conference.

vCash
    Never thought he would come back to the college game. I know some Arkansas fans have him as maybe the guy after DVH retires. Sucks he's going to another SEC West school lol.

vCash
    I'm more so saying that we need to pay attention to the fact that the programs we directly compete with are making moves and that we can't be afraid to do the same.

LSU isn't sitting around waiting for things to happen. OM just won a title. Arkansas went back to Omaha. Auburn and Texas A&M were in Omaha. Alabama and Auburn are getting more of the top talent in Alabama now and we aren't getting as much.

We've got to watch out because others are capitalizing now.