Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: What I Fully Expect Today

  1. #1
    Senior Member Todd4State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    36,548
    vCash
    3700

    What I Fully Expect Today

    I'm just going to get ahead of this.

    I fully expect Ole Miss to win today. They needed Daughtry or whatever his name is to pitch the game of his life and he did. Now they have Elliott ready on full rest. And I fully expect Oklahoma to look like they have never stepped onto a baseball field before and their pitcher to suddenly develop Rick Ankiel disease and their coach to do something incredibly mind numbingly stupid that even the worst rec league baseball coach wouldn't even fathom. I'm not sure what since it's something I can't fathom so don't even ask.

    I also fully expect MSU fans to go into full woe is me mode. It's going to happen. It's just who we are. This to me, as a baseball is just as worse as Ole Miss winning a National Championship is the ridiculousness, I'm going to read from our fan base.

    I'm bracing for we shouldn't have built our stadium because that was a waste, our National Championship is tainted, Ole Miss is a dynasty now, we should fire Cohen and Lemonis, how come we haven't signed every player in the portal, and that's really just probably the tip of the iceberg.

    Let me address this so I can just copy cut and paste this for the next year.

    1. Building the new Dude was not a waste. I really shouldn't have to even explain why. In an arms race we have the best baseball stadium. That's not a bad thing. Does that guarantee that we win titles? No. But it doesn't hurt because it shows commitment.

    2. Our championship is not tainted. If they think that us having to face to rested first round pick pitchers on full rest because of COVID knocking out NC State they're stupid. Period. And if anyone thinks that NC State would have definitely beat us- they need to look at ACC history in the CWS. It's literally Virginia a few years ago.... and before them Wake Forest from the 1950's. Or they can look at the Notre Dame team that beat Tennessee this year. Saying Ole Miss winning would taint our National Championship would be like a Cardinals fan saying that the Royals winning the World Series tainted their World Series Championships.

    3. Ole Miss being a dynasty is not a given. Especially since this isn't a young team and Bianco has been there for 23 years. If anything this makes baseball their best sport. And the funny thing about that as a MSU fan is we may have the same amount of National Championships, but we have more SEC titles, SEC Tournament Titles, more Governor's Cups and a winning record in the series by a large margin. Not to mention we beat them in their house this year 2/3. Not to mention we've all seen what can happen one year later.

    4. You're insane if you want Lemonis and Cohen fired. Just like Ole Miss fans that wanted Bianco fired. And yeah our year sucked. Big time. And if it happens again we'll be looking for a new pitching coach. If anyone thinks that Cohen is going to allow any coach to run this program into the ground- you don't know John Cohen. We do have a coach that we know can manage a team on the big stage. And we have enough resources to hire elite assistants if we need to. If I'm Foxhall right now I have Tom House and Nolan Ryan on speed dial.

    5. The portal. Everyone wants some "good news" now. And I agree we need some- badly. Building a roster is a process this time of year. With the draft being later than we're used to we're going to have to be patient because you can not expect players who are making a business decision to just commit just because we want them to. The portal isn't the only avenue that we have. We have to figure out if guys like Hancock, Preston Johnson, and maybe even Kam James are coming back- because they might and they might not and if they don't that affects what we do in the portal. We also need to figure out which one of our high school and JUCO prospects are going to come to school or go pro. Dakota Jordan coming to MSU changes things for us and how we approach the portal. But I assure you that our staff is not "sitting on their ass". Just this week we had a pitcher whose team was in Omaha and would help us out a lot in the bullpen. Now if it's August 1st and we've completely crapped out in the portal then yeah. We can criticize the staff or "be worried". But until then- chill out and be patient. And before anyone says or asks it- no it's not a NIL issue.

    I'll address the other "concerns" as they come down the pike.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    50
    vCash
    3100
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I'm just going to get ahead of this.

    I fully expect Ole Miss to win today. They needed Daughtry or whatever his name is to pitch the game of his life and he did. Now they have Elliott ready on full rest. And I fully expect Oklahoma to look like they have never stepped onto a baseball field before and their pitcher to suddenly develop Rick Ankiel disease and their coach to do something incredibly mind numbingly stupid that even the worst rec league baseball coach wouldn't even fathom. I'm not sure what since it's something I can't fathom so don't even ask.

    I also fully expect MSU fans to go into full woe is me mode. It's going to happen. It's just who we are. This to me, as a baseball is just as worse as Ole Miss winning a National Championship is the ridiculousness, I'm going to read from our fan base.

    I'm bracing for we shouldn't have built our stadium because that was a waste, our National Championship is tainted, Ole Miss is a dynasty now, we should fire Cohen and Lemonis, how come we haven't signed every player in the portal, and that's really just probably the tip of the iceberg.

    Let me address this so I can just copy cut and paste this for the next year.

    1. Building the new Dude was not a waste. I really shouldn't have to even explain why. In an arms race we have the best baseball stadium. That's not a bad thing. Does that guarantee that we win titles? No. But it doesn't hurt because it shows commitment.

    2. Our championship is not tainted. If they think that us having to face to rested first round pick pitchers on full rest because of COVID knocking out NC State they're stupid. Period. And if anyone thinks that NC State would have definitely beat us- they need to look at ACC history in the CWS. It's literally Virginia a few years ago.... and before them Wake Forest from the 1950's. Or they can look at the Notre Dame team that beat Tennessee this year. Saying Ole Miss winning would taint our National Championship would be like a Cardinals fan saying that the Royals winning the World Series tainted their World Series Championships.

    3. Ole Miss being a dynasty is not a given. Especially since this isn't a young team and Bianco has been there for 23 years. If anything this makes baseball their best sport. And the funny thing about that as a MSU fan is we may have the same amount of National Championships, but we have more SEC titles, SEC Tournament Titles, more Governor's Cups and a winning record in the series by a large margin. Not to mention we beat them in their house this year 2/3. Not to mention we've all seen what can happen one year later.

    4. You're insane if you want Lemonis and Cohen fired. Just like Ole Miss fans that wanted Bianco fired. And yeah our year sucked. Big time. And if it happens again we'll be looking for a new pitching coach. If anyone thinks that Cohen is going to allow any coach to run this program into the ground- you don't know John Cohen. We do have a coach that we know can manage a team on the big stage. And we have enough resources to hire elite assistants if we need to. If I'm Foxhall right now I have Tom House and Nolan Ryan on speed dial.

    5. The portal. Everyone wants some "good news" now. And I agree we need some- badly. Building a roster is a process this time of year. With the draft being later than we're used to we're going to have to be patient because you can not expect players who are making a business decision to just commit just because we want them to. The portal isn't the only avenue that we have. We have to figure out if guys like Hancock, Preston Johnson, and maybe even Kam James are coming back- because they might and they might not and if they don't that affects what we do in the portal. We also need to figure out which one of our high school and JUCO prospects are going to come to school or go pro. Dakota Jordan coming to MSU changes things for us and how we approach the portal. But I assure you that our staff is not "sitting on their ass". Just this week we had a pitcher whose team was in Omaha and would help us out a lot in the bullpen. Now if it's August 1st and we've completely crapped out in the portal then yeah. We can criticize the staff or "be worried". But until then- chill out and be patient. And before anyone says or asks it- no it's not a NIL issue.

    I'll address the other "concerns" as they come down the pike.
    Based on Cohen?s complete lack of qualifications when he was hired,and his performance as AD,many good MSU fans disagree with your confidence in Cohen. I do agree Lemonis is a very good coach and we will be fine in baseball

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    221
    vCash
    3100
    I expect half the national media to report OM won back to back national championships.

    I expect the other half to report next year that we are back to back defending national championships.

    10% chance the Clarion Ledger screws up the headline and writes ?Ole Miss Bulldogs are National Champs.?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    6,035
    vCash
    3100
    Well you ain't getting ahead of anything saying MSU fans will have bad takes on OM winning it.

    Yep been said before, MSU is 2021 NC and nothing goes away from that. I argue that 2021 was one of the toughest years to win it with the Covid extra year players on all teams. Look at the pitching talent in 2021 at CWS - it was off the charts and we won it.

    If the stadium investment bought a NC (which it didn't) well it was worth it. How legendary is it that MSU won a NC first? Just shows how big last year was. OK OM has a NC but we still own every other baseball metric, record etc in baseball if you compare OM and MSU. MSU baseball is what OM wants to be but they will always be 2nd.

    Cohen may be inept in many areas but he ain't in baseball. He won't let baseball sink, you can count on that. He appears to have made better hires in baseketball - we'll see. Football he has made a mess but fingers crossed for at least one good year - now.

    The real test and important thing is what MSU baseball does now - next year and year after. We must come back with a statement season that MSU baseball is king.

    Time to go to work, celebration time is over.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    3,135
    vCash
    3100
    Our program went from winning a National Championship to hoping to host a regional by 2024.

  6. #6
    Senior Member msstate7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    65,098
    vCash
    10439
    OM's run has been very impressive. I'm still holding out for a miracle though... hell, I thought we were done last year after we went down 1-0

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Covington, Louisiana
    Posts
    1,675
    vCash
    700722589
    It will be interesting to see what size and type of banner old miss will put up when they actually win something !!!!!

  8. #8
    Senior Member TNDawg35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    2,245
    vCash
    3000
    Best post I have seen on here in awhile.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Fairhope, AL
    Posts
    1,160
    vCash
    3000
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I'm just going to get ahead of this.

    I fully expect Ole Miss to win today. They needed Daughtry or whatever his name is to pitch the game of his life and he did. Now they have Elliott ready on full rest. And I fully expect Oklahoma to look like they have never stepped onto a baseball field before and their pitcher to suddenly develop Rick Ankiel disease and their coach to do something incredibly mind numbingly stupid that even the worst rec league baseball coach wouldn't even fathom. I'm not sure what since it's something I can't fathom so don't even ask.

    I also fully expect MSU fans to go into full woe is me mode. It's going to happen. It's just who we are. This to me, as a baseball is just as worse as Ole Miss winning a National Championship is the ridiculousness, I'm going to read from our fan base.

    I'm bracing for we shouldn't have built our stadium because that was a waste, our National Championship is tainted, Ole Miss is a dynasty now, we should fire Cohen and Lemonis, how come we haven't signed every player in the portal, and that's really just probably the tip of the iceberg.

    Let me address this so I can just copy cut and paste this for the next year.

    1. Building the new Dude was not a waste. I really shouldn't have to even explain why. In an arms race we have the best baseball stadium. That's not a bad thing. Does that guarantee that we win titles? No. But it doesn't hurt because it shows commitment.

    2. Our championship is not tainted. If they think that us having to face to rested first round pick pitchers on full rest because of COVID knocking out NC State they're stupid. Period. And if anyone thinks that NC State would have definitely beat us- they need to look at ACC history in the CWS. It's literally Virginia a few years ago.... and before them Wake Forest from the 1950's. Or they can look at the Notre Dame team that beat Tennessee this year. Saying Ole Miss winning would taint our National Championship would be like a Cardinals fan saying that the Royals winning the World Series tainted their World Series Championships.

    3. Ole Miss being a dynasty is not a given. Especially since this isn't a young team and Bianco has been there for 23 years. If anything this makes baseball their best sport. And the funny thing about that as a MSU fan is we may have the same amount of National Championships, but we have more SEC titles, SEC Tournament Titles, more Governor's Cups and a winning record in the series by a large margin. Not to mention we beat them in their house this year 2/3. Not to mention we've all seen what can happen one year later.

    4. You're insane if you want Lemonis and Cohen fired. Just like Ole Miss fans that wanted Bianco fired. And yeah our year sucked. Big time. And if it happens again we'll be looking for a new pitching coach. If anyone thinks that Cohen is going to allow any coach to run this program into the ground- you don't know John Cohen. We do have a coach that we know can manage a team on the big stage. And we have enough resources to hire elite assistants if we need to. If I'm Foxhall right now I have Tom House and Nolan Ryan on speed dial.

    5. The portal. Everyone wants some "good news" now. And I agree we need some- badly. Building a roster is a process this time of year. With the draft being later than we're used to we're going to have to be patient because you can not expect players who are making a business decision to just commit just because we want them to. The portal isn't the only avenue that we have. We have to figure out if guys like Hancock, Preston Johnson, and maybe even Kam James are coming back- because they might and they might not and if they don't that affects what we do in the portal. We also need to figure out which one of our high school and JUCO prospects are going to come to school or go pro. Dakota Jordan coming to MSU changes things for us and how we approach the portal. But I assure you that our staff is not "sitting on their ass". Just this week we had a pitcher whose team was in Omaha and would help us out a lot in the bullpen. Now if it's August 1st and we've completely crapped out in the portal then yeah. We can criticize the staff or "be worried". But until then- chill out and be patient. And before anyone says or asks it- no it's not a NIL issue.

    I'll address the other "concerns" as they come down the pike.
    1. Building it is one of the best things we’ve ever done.
    2. We beat every team who showed up to play. Anything else is worthless hypothetical.
    3. Never really have been a Joan Collins fan but hear the show was entertaining.
    4. Lemonis is safe. The rest of the staff, we’ll see. The portal will be one of the early progress evaluations. And I have been a fan, supporter and advocate for Cohen as a player, coach and AD. But now he needs to show he’s still the man for the job.
    5. Get the job done. We pay these folks executive level salaries. Earn it.

  10. #10
    Senior Member basedog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,644
    vCash
    3100
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I'm just going to get ahead of this.

    I fully expect Ole Miss to win today. They needed Daughtry or whatever his name is to pitch the game of his life and he did. Now they have Elliott ready on full rest. And I fully expect Oklahoma to look like they have never stepped onto a baseball field before and their pitcher to suddenly develop Rick Ankiel disease and their coach to do something incredibly mind numbingly stupid that even the worst rec league baseball coach wouldn't even fathom. I'm not sure what since it's something I can't fathom so don't even ask.

    I also fully expect MSU fans to go into full woe is me mode. It's going to happen. It's just who we are. This to me, as a baseball is just as worse as Ole Miss winning a National Championship is the ridiculousness, I'm going to read from our fan base.

    I'm bracing for we shouldn't have built our stadium because that was a waste, our National Championship is tainted, Ole Miss is a dynasty now, we should fire Cohen and Lemonis, how come we haven't signed every player in the portal, and that's really just probably the tip of the iceberg.

    Let me address this so I can just copy cut and paste this for the next year.

    1. Building the new Dude was not a waste. I really shouldn't have to even explain why. In an arms race we have the best baseball stadium. That's not a bad thing. Does that guarantee that we win titles? No. But it doesn't hurt because it shows commitment.

    2. Our championship is not tainted. If they think that us having to face to rested first round pick pitchers on full rest because of COVID knocking out NC State they're stupid. Period. And if anyone thinks that NC State would have definitely beat us- they need to look at ACC history in the CWS. It's literally Virginia a few years ago.... and before them Wake Forest from the 1950's. Or they can look at the Notre Dame team that beat Tennessee this year. Saying Ole Miss winning would taint our National Championship would be like a Cardinals fan saying that the Royals winning the World Series tainted their World Series Championships.

    3. Ole Miss being a dynasty is not a given. Especially since this isn't a young team and Bianco has been there for 23 years. If anything this makes baseball their best sport. And the funny thing about that as a MSU fan is we may have the same amount of National Championships, but we have more SEC titles, SEC Tournament Titles, more Governor's Cups and a winning record in the series by a large margin. Not to mention we beat them in their house this year 2/3. Not to mention we've all seen what can happen one year later.

    4. You're insane if you want Lemonis and Cohen fired. Just like Ole Miss fans that wanted Bianco fired. And yeah our year sucked. Big time. And if it happens again we'll be looking for a new pitching coach. If anyone thinks that Cohen is going to allow any coach to run this program into the ground- you don't know John Cohen. We do have a coach that we know can manage a team on the big stage. And we have enough resources to hire elite assistants if we need to. If I'm Foxhall right now I have Tom House and Nolan Ryan on speed dial.

    5. The portal. Everyone wants some "good news" now. And I agree we need some- badly. Building a roster is a process this time of year. With the draft being later than we're used to we're going to have to be patient because you can not expect players who are making a business decision to just commit just because we want them to. The portal isn't the only avenue that we have. We have to figure out if guys like Hancock, Preston Johnson, and maybe even Kam James are coming back- because they might and they might not and if they don't that affects what we do in the portal. We also need to figure out which one of our high school and JUCO prospects are going to come to school or go pro. Dakota Jordan coming to MSU changes things for us and how we approach the portal. But I assure you that our staff is not "sitting on their ass". Just this week we had a pitcher whose team was in Omaha and would help us out a lot in the bullpen. Now if it's August 1st and we've completely crapped out in the portal then yeah. We can criticize the staff or "be worried". But until then- chill out and be patient. And before anyone says or asks it- no it's not a NIL issue.

    I'll address the other "concerns" as they come down the pike.
    Totally agree Todd! Msu Baseball is far from being dead!

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    40
    vCash
    3100
    5 of the last 6 National Champions including MISSISSIPPI STATE have one it after losing game 1 of the championship series. I'm still holding out hope!

  12. #12
    Senior Member maroonmania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    18,131
    vCash
    3700
    If they want to give us an asterisk because of the NC State situation then I am more than happy to give them one on the fact they really didn't even deserve to make the tourney over NC State and others. No doubt once they got in though that they've made it look pretty easy to win. They have one 1 run loss during their entire path and their pitching has been nothing short of amazing.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    4,335
    vCash
    3100
    Did some of their Freshmen pitchers grow up OM fans or did we totally miss on them or think we had better committed? If we totally missed on them, we surely didn't build on our NC year.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    723
    vCash
    2990
    I will never have faith in our athletic department as long as John Cohen is in charge. I will support the team and players but never him.

  15. #15
    Senior Member SailingDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    1,725
    vCash
    3850
    I mean this in the most complimentary way for ole mama lady plantation owner:

    They?re hitting the ball, they?re pitching well, they?re healthy, they?re getting the breaks?yeah they?re going to win it all. I?m mixed about it, but whatevs.

  16. #16
    Senior Member maroonmania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    18,131
    vCash
    3700
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    Did some of their Freshmen pitchers grow up OM fans or did we totally miss on them or think we had better committed? If we totally missed on them, we surely didn't build on our NC year.
    I don't know but OM pitching is so much better than ours right now its ridiculous. They will be stacked on the mound next year even if Delucia doesn't come back. Again today thru 4 no runs allowed. Same song different verse and doesn't seem to matter who they have on the mound.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    8,298
    vCash
    195611
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    OM's run has been very impressive. I'm still holding out for a miracle though... hell, I thought we were done last year after we went down 1-0
    Remember the secret to winning at baseball consists of 2 thing. Good Pitching and Timely Hitting. 2 things which we didn't have at all this year. And I need Elko to get the MVP so I can triple my BYA. Can't believe he was 65 to 1 on winning it
    Last edited by parabrave; 06-26-2022 at 03:36 PM.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Maroonthirteen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    5,192
    vCash
    4388
    OM winning a baseball NC definitely says to me that it is not as difficult to accomplish than I once believed. With the new format, of only playing only 3 different teams in OMAHA, you just need a good matchup to make a run.

    With that said, I'll always cherish MSU baseballs NC. But.... I now definitely feel like State should have more NCs and can win more in the future with this cws format.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Todd4State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    36,548
    vCash
    3700
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    OM winning a baseball NC definitely says to me that it is not as difficult to accomplish than I once believed. With the new format, of only playing only 3 different teams in OMAHA, you just need a good matchup to make a run.

    With that said, I'll always cherish MSU baseballs NC. But.... I now definitely feel like State should have more NCs and can win more in the future with this cws format.
    I agree. We're seeing a shift in college baseball the past few years. The SEC is going to dominate. Actually is already. Most SEC teams are going to get titles the next 10-20 years. We're about to have major scholarship advantages as a league and with the portal the best players are going to leave the PAC 12 to the SEC. It's already happening. I think we'll get our share too. Maybe Florida State gets one with Link at some point. Outside of that I can't see anyone getting one now that Texas will be joining the SEC as well. Maybe Clemson or Georgia Tech if they play their cards right?

    Mid majors aren't even making it to Omaha anymore. Cal State Fullerton was the last one to make it in 2017. The last time a mid major won a game in Omaha was Coastal Carolina. USM may think they are in a good spot- but they really aren't.

    The key is getting elite pitching more than anything. If we do that we'll be right back.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Todd4State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    36,548
    vCash
    3700
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    I don't know but OM pitching is so much better than ours right now its ridiculous. They will be stacked on the mound next year even if Delucia doesn't come back. Again today thru 4 no runs allowed. Same song different verse and doesn't seem to matter who they have on the mound.
    We also returned a decent amount of our pitching. Things can change awfully quickly in one year. Would be hilarious if they went 26-30 next year.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Disclaimer: Elitedawgs is a privately owned and operated forum that is managed by alumni of Mississippi State University. This website is in no way affiliated with the Mississippi State University, The Southeastern Conference (SEC) or the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). The views and opinions expressed herein are strictly those of the post author and may not reflect the views of other members of this forum or elitedawgs.com. The interactive nature of the elitedawgs.com forums makes it impossible for elitedawgs.com to assume responsibility for any of the content posted at this site. Ideas, thoughts, suggestion, comments, opinions, advice and observations made by participants at elitedawgs.com are not endorsed by elitedawgs.com
Elitedawgs: A Mississippi State Fan Forum, Mississippi State Football, Mississippi State Basketball, Mississippi State Baseball, Mississippi State Athletics. Mississippi State message board.