Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Ole Miss with literally the easiest CWS schedule ever...

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,399
    vCash
    3100

    Ole Miss with literally the easiest CWS schedule ever...

    If OM wins the CWS, OM will be the first baseball national champion to not have beaten a top 8 seed in the CWS.

    In the 2022 CWS OM has played only one game against any seed, the #14 seed. (Only 8 teams were seeded until recently).

    Only 3 other teams have even reached the CWS finals without beating a top 8 seed, but all 3 faced a top 8 seed in the finals.

    So 2022 OM has literally the easiest CWS schedule ever.

    Also, the 2022 CWS overall has the second weakest set of teams (4 #1 NCAA regional seeds, 3 #2 regional seeds, and 1 #3 regional seed) since the Super Regional format started (the 2007 CWS had 3/3/2).
    Last edited by MedDawg; 06-25-2022 at 11:54 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    6,026
    vCash
    3100
    Quote Originally Posted by MedDawg View Post
    If OM wins the CWS, OM will be the first baseball national champion to not have beaten a top 8 seed in the CWS.

    In the 2022 CWS OM has played only one game against any seed, the #14 seed. (Only 8 teams were seeded until recently).

    Only 3 other teams have even reached the CWS finals without beating a top 8 seed, but all 3 faced a top 8 seed in the finals.

    So 2022 OM has literally the easiest CWS schedule ever.

    Also, the 2022 CWS overall has the second weakest set of teams (4 #1 NCAA regional seeds, 3 #2 regional seeds, and 1 #3 regional seed) since the Super Regional format started (the 2007 CWS had 3/3/2).
    Nice work MedDawg. We knew they had a easy row but you gave Bulldog nation some nice talking points for Monday morning. Congrats OM will be NC but you got a gift too. The OM way and MSU gets one the hard way. Just the DNA of both schools.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    6,026
    vCash
    3100
    And how many national seeds did MSU beat in CWS? Beat TX twice, Vandy twice, Virginia?

  4. #4
    Senior Member basedog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,636
    vCash
    3100
    Doesn't matter because in months ahead I doubt anyone remembers who they beat except Ole Dixie fans.

    I guess I am in the minority about TSUN winning a Natty, I could care less.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,399
    vCash
    3100
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    And how many national seeds did MSU beat in CWS? Beat TX twice, Vandy twice, Virginia?
    In the 2021 CWS State beat #2 national seed Texas twice and beat #4 national seed Vandy twice.

  6. #6
    Senior Member StarkVegasSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    3,004
    vCash
    98074
    We played 2 national seeds in Omaha last year in number 2 Texas, number 3 Vandy, and Virginia was 3 seed. Ole Miss has played number 14 Auburn, a 2 seed in Arkansas 3 times, and a 2 seed Oklahoma at least two times.

    Now take a closer look at those matchups. That Auburn team, the same Auburn team we took 2 of 3 from and should have swept, is a very home run reliant team. Which you cannot be in Omaha. Massive advantage Ole Miss even before you factor in Delucia.

    Arkansas should have handled OM and I still do not understand DVH not starting Hagan Smith game 2. That cost them the series, because OM always knew they would be able to go back to Delucia.

    And now you have an Oklahoma team that is used to playing in front of 2,700 and they are playing in front of 27,000. It is a recipe for exactly what we saw last night: passed balls, errors, and missed pitches.

    I say all that to say this, yea Ole Miss still had to win those games, but it seems like every break they needed has broken EXACTLY their way.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    195
    vCash
    3000
    bUt We RiG tHe BrAcKeTs

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    1,270
    vCash
    3000
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Doesn't matter because in months ahead I doubt anyone remembers who they beat except Ole Dixie fans.

    I guess I am in the minority about TSUN winning a Natty, I could care less.
    I would care a lot more if we didn?t win it last year. It doesn?t give them a leg up it just ties us

  9. #9
    Senior Member Maroonthirteen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    5,183
    vCash
    4388
    Ties us in one category. As you know, we have more cws, supers and regional appearances.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Fairhope, AL
    Posts
    1,160
    vCash
    3000
    Losses today and tomorrow will forever rank them with the Jean Van de Veldes of history. Hope is alive.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Hambone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    NW MS
    Posts
    1,602
    vCash
    96009
    They still had to go to someone else’s regional, someone else’s super and then be the visiting team for the championship series.

    Damn impressive regardless of who they’ve had to play.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,201
    vCash
    3700
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    They still had to go to someone else’s regional, someone else’s super and then be the visiting team for the championship series.

    Damn impressive regardless of who they’ve had to play.
    Miami. I could be wrong, but it seems like Miami doesn’t even make it out of regionals over the last 10 years. Baseball across the board seems to be down this year, whether because of the covid backlog, top teams losing their aces to injury, or whatever. Tenn seemed like the only true powerhouse this year and they sputtered at the end and didn’t make it.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,328
    vCash
    32000
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    Tenn seemed like the only true powerhouse this year and they sputtered at the end and didn’t make it.
    UM better thank their lucky stars for ND and Link Jarrett.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,163
    vCash
    3168
    I mean, if this consoles you. You do you I guess.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    6,026
    vCash
    3100
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    Miami. I could be wrong, but it seems like Miami doesn’t even make it out of regionals over the last 10 years. Baseball across the board seems to be down this year, whether because of the covid backlog, top teams losing their aces to injury, or whatever. Tenn seemed like the only true powerhouse this year and they sputtered at the end and didn’t make it.
    Yeah I think several factors just depleted many programs this year. Fact reveals that the field was weak as it has ever been. OM still had to win it and they did but they got a gift. I mean last 4 in and that team wins it? Can you imagine that happening in basketball? Ark is the team that has to feel bad, they had a real chance this year but just choked it away again.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    201
    vCash
    3200

    What this says to me is that its our own fault for not making it to Omaha

    We showed we could play with OM and auburn. We clearly had momentum coming out of the series in Oxford.
    We didn?t nut up and make the CWS, which was set up this year for a less talented team to win. OM did.
    We fell apart down the stretch.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    6,026
    vCash
    3100
    Quote Originally Posted by cujo View Post
    We showed we could play with OM and auburn. We clearly had momentum coming out of the series in Oxford.
    We didn?t nut up and make the CWS, which was set up this year for a less talented team to win. OM did.
    We fell apart down the stretch.
    This is true. We had the momentum coming out of that weekend but when we faced Delucia in the gov cup OM took it back. We fell apart and they found a couple of pitchers.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Commercecomet24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    19,534
    vCash
    3100
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    This is true. We had the momentum coming out of that weekend but when we faced Delucia in the gov cup OM took it back. We fell apart and they found a couple of pitchers.
    We did fall apart after the Governors cup, but Delucia didn't pitch against us in that game. It was Mcdaniel, Nichols and Johnson. Delucia pitch the first game in oxford against us that we lost 4-2

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Posts
    470
    vCash
    3000
    This will only make the rivalry that much richer.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Todd4State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    36,533
    vCash
    3700
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho View Post
    This will only make the rivalry that much richer.
    When we play them in Starkville next year it's going to be nuts.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Disclaimer: Elitedawgs is a privately owned and operated forum that is managed by alumni of Mississippi State University. This website is in no way affiliated with the Mississippi State University, The Southeastern Conference (SEC) or the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). The views and opinions expressed herein are strictly those of the post author and may not reflect the views of other members of this forum or elitedawgs.com. The interactive nature of the elitedawgs.com forums makes it impossible for elitedawgs.com to assume responsibility for any of the content posted at this site. Ideas, thoughts, suggestion, comments, opinions, advice and observations made by participants at elitedawgs.com are not endorsed by elitedawgs.com
Elitedawgs: A Mississippi State Fan Forum, Mississippi State Football, Mississippi State Basketball, Mississippi State Baseball, Mississippi State Athletics. Mississippi State message board.