Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hard Truths for Us.

Senior Member THE Bruce Dickinson's Avatar
    vCash

Hard Truths for Us.

With Ole Miss on the brink of their first real championship in baseball, MSU fans need to face reality in several ways...

1. We aren't going to win the national championship in football ever. With NIL starting to take full affect we simply can't keep up with some of the other programs in this country. I know I will get the "This is a loser attitude" from many posters here, but it's simply a reality. 8/9/10 win seasons at Mississippi State are great years and it doesn't matter that much if we lose the Egg bowl some years. It's going to happen.

2. Men's basketball goal every season should be to make the NCAA tournament, 1 seed, 11 seed it doesn't matter. Make the tournament. Even the blue bloods don't make the tournament every year in and out. Once you are in crazy things can happen. That's the beauty of March madness.

3. We have an elite baseball program with national prominence. That won't change with our reputation and facilities. An Ole Miss title in 2022 doesn't cheapen our 2021 championship. We will be back.

Other than that, I don't really care.

Just some late night thoughts. Flame away and Boomer Sooner.
    Last edited by THE Bruce Dickinson; 06-25-2022 at 01:04 AM.

vCash
    Go to sleep....sheeshhh.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    Go to sleep....sheeshhh.
    AND DONT WAKE UP

vCash
    1. I had suspicions of this after the 1999 season. Lose at Bama and Arkansas after being undefeated. 2014 was a straight punch to the nose confirmation.

2. We had a helluva run with Williams and Stans. They maximized the program's potential. Maybe Jan can achieve what they did. Maybe.

3. Boom! Spot on! I don't care what colonel sanders does this weekend. State still
    Has the best baseball program in state.
    Last edited by Maroonthirteen; 06-25-2022 at 08:43 AM.

vCash
    1. Mostly agree. But I wouldn't say never or 0 chance. 99 and 18 had #1 D in land. Anytime you do that, you have a chance. 2014 we had great balance and peaked too early. The chance is very slim though.

2. Yep basketball with just a few key players, chemistry and the March madness opportunity, just make the tourney. Better chance here to make some noise and have a chance.

3. Whatever another team does, never subtracts from happened previously. We are a top baseball program and was NC in 2021 in a year where the competition was as good as ever. I'd say CWS pitching was among best ever and the records and stats prove it (partly due to Covid extra year and so many pitchers on staffs). One could argue the 2021 NC was harder than any other year to win.

The emotion of our suck year followed by OM NC run is the MSU way and feels bad but the facts are nothing is removed from MSU baseball just OM baseball moved up a tick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bruce Dickinson View Post

1. We aren't going to win the national championship in football ever.
    This is stupid. Just 85 years ago, we were in the same conference as Sewanee. Times change. Kodak was once a monster stalwart of a company and Apple and Amazon and Google didn?t even exist. The Alamo was in the middle of nowhere and now it?s in the downtown area of the 7th largest city in the US. Things change. To say we won?t ever win it is dumb. Nobody knows what the future brings.

vCash
    Thats why I have zero confidence in Cohen or Keenum. I cant see those two making us any more than a bottom third of SEC Athletic Department. We need leadership that can get more than the diehard fanbase and a very small number of money people to buy in to MSU Athletics. Ole Miss Athletics was basically dead and buried in 2017 and we could not surpass them. They are coming off a Sugar Bowl, Baseball playing for a Natty. Kermit is the weakest major coach they have and we cant do better than beat him half the time.
    MSU Baseball, Basketball and WBB are in total rebuilds. Football is staring at 6-6 with paid attendance being 40k. Our whole season hinges on finding a LT so we can block 3 with 5 and dink and dunk the ball down the field. We are still trying to figure out NIL while everyone else seems to have it figured out.
    We had a chance to upgrade in our Athletic Department and instead hired a retread who went to Wake Forest to learn from them and bring back ideas to grow athletics and marketing from Wake Forest 🤷.
    Last edited by Leeshouldveflanked; 06-25-2022 at 10:19 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    This is stupid. Just 85 years ago, we were in the same conference as Sewanee. Times change. Kodak was once a monster stalwart of a company and Apple and Amazon and Google didn?t even exist. The Alamo was in the middle of nowhere and now it?s in the downtown area of the 7th largest city in the US. Things change. To say we won?t ever win it is dumb. Nobody knows what the future brings.
    Ok most people don't live 85 years so there's that. But in a lifetime the odds of us winning a nc in todays environment is about .0001 so there's a chance.

vCash
    Gloom, despair, and agony on me
    Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
    If it weren’t for bad luck, I’d have no luck at all
    Gloom, despair, and agony on me
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    The OP is spot on. I'll always watch our football team and support them 100%, but I've accepted the fact that we are what we are. Baseball should get MSU athletics 100% priority.

vCash
    Dave Emerick says see ya Leach? gone to SoCal

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    1. Mostly agree. But I wouldn't say never or 0 chance. 99 and 18 had #1 D in land. Anytime you do that, you have a chance. 2014 we had great balance and peaked too early. The chance is very slim though.

2. Yep basketball with just a few key players, chemistry and the March madness opportunity, just make the tourney. Better chance here to make some noise and have a chance.

3. Whatever another team does, never subtracts from happened previously. We are a top baseball program and was NC in 2021 in a year where the competition was as good as ever. I'd say CWS pitching was among best ever and the records and stats prove it (partly due to Covid extra year and so many pitchers on staffs). One could argue the 2021 NC was harder than any other year to win.

The emotion of our suck year followed by OM NC run is the MSU way and feels bad but the facts are nothing is removed from MSU baseball just OM baseball moved up a tick.
    Number 1 - Dan checked out early before bama and OM and went on his annual job search. Definitely didn't build on the season.

vCash
    Football still pays the bills (along with SEC checks). I'm glad we won a National Championship, but some of you guys act like we should expand the Dude to 60K seats and reduce DWS to 15K. A couple of more baseball seasons like this past one and getting a good seat won't be an issue. We buy season tickets for football for almost 55 years. I attend a few baseball games with a friend in baseball. Outside of the SEC and a couple more conferences college baseball attendance is non-existent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    Football still pays the bills (along with SEC checks). I'm glad we won a National Championship, but some of you guys act like we should expand the Dude to 60K seats and reduce DWS to 15K. A couple of more baseball seasons like this past one and getting a good seat won't be an issue. We buy season tickets for football for almost 55 years. I attend a few baseball games with a friend in baseball. Outside of the SEC and a couple more conferences college baseball attendance is non-existent.
    No. Everyone on this board knows that football pays the bills. We aren't saying anything like you suggested. We just know how things are gonna go. A 8 or 9 win season in football is as good as it'll ever get. That's great. Pays the bills just fine. Focus efforts like NIL on baseball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    No. Everyone on this board knows that football pays the bills. We aren't saying anything like you suggested. We just know how things are gonna go. A 8 or 9 win season in football is as good as it'll ever get. That's great. Pays the bills just fine. Focus efforts like NIL on baseball.
    NIL may ruin college sports as we know it. I by know means know our story behind the scenes but NIL$ has to go to FB also or we won't sniff 8 to 9 wins. Same for success we want in MBB. I give the $ and support I can. Maybe NIL is the former "under the table" stuff and a game we all played the best we could, but "The Wild, Wild We$t" is out in the open and some of these figures are mind boggling. Guess many are really not worried about being "student athletes", more like free agents every year, Hail State!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    The way LSU and some others are spending money you can forget baseball also.

vCash
    Im sure I will have push back but I dont like the NIL excuse for everything, we haven't not done much in basketball or football in the past few years regardless.. its another excuse at this point. We have a veteran football team with good players in year 3 under Leach, we need to make noise this season. Basketball is also one of those sports where things can get turned around really quick.. NIL or not you can win really fast even with coaching changes in Basketball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    Sooo, you're saying there's a chance.......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    Sooo, you're saying there's a chance.......
    Oh most definitely. You know, if I purchase a lottery ticket then there is a chance I could be rich beyond my wildest dreams.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Dawg View Post
    The way LSU and some others are spending money you can forget baseball also.
    Yep. But we dropped $60M+ on a baseball stadium.