Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "The Balconies" at DWS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    It seems a lot of our fans want stadium capacity to go back to what it was in the Croom era, by installing premium booths, chairbacks, and what not. I guess that's fine if you aren't counting on the team ever being worth a damn again. I thought 62k squeezed in during the 2014 season was the perfect home field advantage for us. Why diminish that? I don't think we need to go below 60k, just in case. Unpopular opinion and weird I know, but we are already small, and I don't want to get much smaller.
    ^^^This!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    It seems a lot of our fans want stadium capacity to go back to what it was in the Croom era, by installing premium booths, chairbacks, and what not. I guess that's fine if you aren't counting on the team ever being worth a damn again. I thought 62k squeezed in during the 2014 season was the perfect home field advantage for us. Why diminish that? I don't think we need to go below 60k, just in case. Unpopular opinion and weird I know, but we are already small, and I don't want to get much smaller.
    https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...ge-since-1981/

It is not "our fans". Watching at home has just gotten so much better over the last several years.

"College football attendance declines for seventh straight season to lowest average since 1981"
    Last edited by Leroy Jenkins; 06-27-2022 at 03:10 PM.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...ge-since-1981/

College football attendance declines for seventh straight season to lowest average since 1981
    The Ole Miss numbers in that article should be an alarming indicator for us. They had their best season since integration, and bumped attendance from their lowest average this century - 48,233 in '19 to 56,472. That is 8,000 people under capacity on average.
    With a "Heisman Candidate" QB in a 10 win season they couldn't do better. 2021 we averaged 49,494 - our lowest since the Slytanic sailed these seas. So, our friends in Oxford are already showing us that even bouncing back to a 9-10 win season will still not get attendance back to it's heydays in the mid 2010s.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    The Ole Miss numbers in that article should be an alarming indicator for us. They had their best season since integration, and bumped attendance from their lowest average this century - 48,233 in '19 to 56,472. That is 8,000 people under capacity on average.
    With a "Heisman Candidate" QB in a 10 win season they couldn't do better. 2021 we averaged 49,494 - our lowest since the Slytanic sailed these seas. So, our friends in Oxford are already showing us that even bouncing back to a 9-10 win season will still not get attendance back to it's heydays in the mid 2010s.
    Sad, but true. Being a season ticket holder is not cheap. TV vs 11:00 games in early Sept doesn't help. We used to have AL fans buy our season tickets just to be able to see them play in person because their waiting list is so long. Heck, we can't even sell out that game anymore. Here, I'll fix it. Move baseball to DWS and FB to the Dude, sellouts if baseball rebuild works.***
    Last edited by Goldendawg; 06-27-2022 at 04:37 PM.

vCash
    The problem is simple. Tv is cheap. Cost of attendance is expensive. The school is offering no luxury or amenities to compete with tv but yet raises prices over and over.

The schools have the largest revenues in their history. Yet they want $2700 donations for seats in the clouds for example. The answer is, schools will have to do massive upgrades to stadiums for the common fan to come back in great numbers. That means provide more amenities, cheap food and drink and in a comfortable environment at a cheaper price. I'm thinking something like the club level but available to everyone in the lower level.
    Last edited by Maroonthirteen; 06-28-2022 at 03:42 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    The problem is simple. Tv is cheap. Cost of attendance is expensive. The school is offering no luxury or amenities to compete with tv but yet raises prices over and over.

The schools have the largest revenues in their history. Yet they want $2700 donations for seats in the clouds for example. The answer is, schools will have to do massive upgrades to stadiums for the common fan to come back in great numbers. That means provide more amenities, cheap food and drink and in a comfortable environment at a cheaper price. I'm thinking something like the club level but available to everyone in the lower level.
    If we could just get stadium WiFi and/or cell tower boosters, it would be a start.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Who were their home P5 games last year? What was the average attendance to those? Ole Miss only expanded capacity to jump ahead of us, not that they needed to.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    Or just watch the JumboTron, which is what a lot of people do anyway.
    More and more folks are watching the ?JumboTrons? in their living rooms. And for a fraction of the cost.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EdwardDrayton View Post
    More and more folks are watching the ?JumboTrons? in their living rooms. And for a fraction of the cost.
    Yuup, I'm basically paying $5,000 (not counting travel expenses) for three people to mostly watch the Jumbotron.

vCash

vCash
    The biggest problem is cost of hotel or equivalent accommodations in Starkville for those of us traveling. More and more our student body is made up of out of state students and alumni. The prices are ridiculous on game weekends. Secondly, I would say in a normal season (not a magical year or terrible year) our attendance can fluctuate 5,000 or more in average depending on game times. Since we are normally not a contender we get fewer prime time games, and get more 11:00 and Thursday games than anyone, along with Vandy and OM. Those game times really affect my ability or desire to travel for a game.

vCash
    If we start winning the fans will come. Our offense is boring and the only personality in the team is the head coach. Fans need entertainment.

vCash
    Just announced that the Balconies are sold out.

So now instead of 2 empty upper deck sections, we made more money and add a unique feature no one else has. But Cohen and Co. are just idiots who know nothing.***

vCash
    Tip of the cap to Cohen. He must have gauged interest before announcing these for them to sell this fast.

Im definitely limited to my world view on things. No way I would pay that to stand or sit, cheaper beer or not. But thank you to those that do. Well done.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    Tip of the cap to Cohen. He must have gauged interest before announcing these for them to sell this fast.

Im definitely limited to my world view on things. No way I would pay that to stand or sit, cheaper beer or not. But thank you to those that do. Well done.
    I thought it was interesting they announced this after season tickets were reselected

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    If we start winning the fans will come. Our offense is boring and the only personality in the team is the head coach. Fans need entertainment.
    you are a 17ing idiot. the only thing boring is you go root for the rebs

vCash
    i did not get one but was told they may add more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLostDawg View Post
    I thought it was interesting they announced this after season tickets were reselected
    They probably wanted to gauge how many season ticket holders they might displace before they pulled the trigger.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
    you are a 17ing idiot. the only thing boring is you go root for the rebs
    Ahhhh.....I'm hurt.