Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Banner Season

vCash

Banner Season

I watched it when it came out today. REALLY GOOD! And really pleased with how it turned out.

I think it would be a good compliment to watch Thunder and Lightning first and then Banner Season. I have a lot of complaints about the SEC Network. But our baseball documentaries are well done and I enjoy both of them.

Honestly wouldn't change anything about it. I will say that if there was a "Bonus scenes" section I would include the LSU series where we beat them on the road which is always big, I would have said something about Preston dominating USM in Pearl which is where I think he emerged as a pitcher, and something about no-hitting Kent State.

I didn't really realize how close we had come to National Titles lately until I stepped back and they reviewed it. The 2014 football season seemed a little out of place though because we really didn't get to where we were that close to playing for a National Championship relative to baseball, women's basketball, the men's basketball Final Four, and even really as far as football we were probably at least as close in 1999 as we were in 2014.

One thing that stood out early in the film. When they were talking to our players about why they came to MSU and they were talking about how they were MSU fans at an early age and also how they loved how hard we played and how hard we grinded out games- THAT IS OUR CULTURE AND IDENTITY that I've been talking about. We need to get back to that ASAP.

Ron Polk's house looks like my house except my house has more Cardinals memorabilia. Definitely want to take a tour of his house though.

The MSU/Ole Miss baseball series in 2021 was the biggest one in the history of the series. Winning that series was HUGE for us that year. The atmosphere for that series was like a Super Regional.

I thought it was funny that pretty much every player and coach at MSU felt like the SEC Tournament is basically worthless and a waste of time. Like basically all of our fans.

The comments that Lemonis made about Notre Dame being a team that was Omaha caliber was interesting to me in light of the fact that this was made before Notre Dame eliminated Tennessee.

I'm really glad they didn't show Niko's home run. I figured that they would show it followed up by Everett Kennard talking about how it's the farthest hit ball he has seen since he invented the LFL. Kudos to the directors for leaving that out. The guy hit a long home run. Congrats on getting one hit the whole Super Regional.

Will Bednar talking to his brother for advice was something that I suspected and was confirmed. Also- Notre Dame's pitcher tipping his pitches in game three. That was cool to hear. I bet that guy is kicking himself.

Bednar's game one the best pitched game in CWS history? Maybe. Best pitched game by a MSU pitcher ever given the stakes? YES.

The Virginia game was interesting how Gautreau called a meeting before the seventh and they changed their hitting approach. Tanner Allen home run I think was the biggest in MSU history. I also didn't realize that TA and Schoch were teammates in summer ball.

TA working with Tanner Leggett on hitting sliders shows what a great leader he was. That whole sequence with Leggett and Skinner sounded like it was out of a movie. Leggett struggling with sliders and working with TA on it and then hitting a slider for the game winning hit sounds like something out of a baseball version of Rocky.

I do kind of wish that they would have showed the fans greeting the team at the hotel in Omaha. Our guys were literally treated like rock stars. I think that would have showed the country a little bit more about how much our fans are invested in the team as well.

Game one of the finals- that was the best I have ever felt after a loss in a championship series best of three. It was literally one bad inning that beat us. And it sounds like the team felt the same way.

I like how the documentary mentioned that after NC State was eliminated due to COVID that it allowed Vandy to have a fresh pitching staff compared to ours which was a little more taxed. Because a lot of fans of other schools like to talk down about our title because of that when it actually gave Vanderbilt an advantage. Not the other way around.

Game 2 of the finals- "If you are going up against a young pitcher and you can get to him early you can knock him out". And that's exactly what we did.

Game 3 of the finals- that might be the best I've ever seen MSU play baseball. We almost no hit Vandy. We hit home runs, we played great defense. We played so well. Looking back on it and the season as a whole and also remembering other MSU teams in the past it really shows you just how hard it is to win a championship in baseball. I knew that going into watching the show but it still made me appreciate it even more.

This year sucked. But this National Championship is going to be something that our baseball program is only going to build on. I think we have much brighter days ahead. I think our team is going to be pissed off next year. I look forward to seeing what Lemonis does to build the team for the short term.

Hail State!

vCash
    I watched and enjoyed. Todd I agree with what you are saying about culture. I?ve said it numerous times before that our teams of past did NOT consist of 5star players all over the place rather consisted of MS kids that worked harder, fought hareder, played smarter and generally grounded out wins.

One thing I wish our PR Dept or our media people would get across to the national media is that when we put 15,000 fans in Dudy Noble field that how rural the area around Starkville is. That Starkvillle is not like Fayetteville, Baton Rouge or Knoxville were there are half a million people. Starkville has aprox 75,000 residents. The largest population is a 2 hour drive away. I watched a lot of the regionals and super regionals this year and the only regional I saw that was remotely close to the enthusiasm and energy our fans bring was East Carolina Univ

vCash
    Does it come on again? I missed it

vCash
    I haven't seen it yet but our staff managed things incredibly. I even give Foxhall credit there (and still do). They manage well. Gotro is a good coach. He catches some flack but sometimes the players just don't deliver. We're going to fine. Just have to get a couple players in the boat and a couple get better this summer and fall.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Yes. It's on 3-4 more times between last night and Friday.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    This morning at 8:00 and this afternoon at 1:00 I think.

vCash
    9:00 am this morning. I just set the DVR to record. Thanks!!!

vCash
    The only thing I thought would be mentioned that wasn't was Mangum's interview after we were beaten (screwed) by Louisville in the '19 CWS where he mentioned that Lemonis would be the first to bring us a CWS championship. I thought that would be worked in there somewhere.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    The only thing I thought would be mentioned that wasn't was Mangum's interview after we were beaten (screwed) by Louisville in the '19 CWS where he mentioned that Lemonis would be the first to bring us a CWS championship. I thought that would be worked in there somewhere.
    I thought so too. It would have been a perfect lead-in. Especially since he mentioned that Lemonis would bring the first NC to MSU.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    That would have been excellent. I was pissed off at that umpire for his gnats ass strike zone in the 9th.

Senior Member William Tecumsah Sherman's Avatar
    vCash
    Bednar?s CWS performance just blows me away every time I re-visit it. Just dominant.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tecumsah Sherman View Post
    Bednar?s CWS performance just blows me away every time I re-visit it. Just dominant.
    I agree. It was unbelievable. A thing of beauty. We don't win without him. But we don't win without all those other pieces either. Big pitching performances, extremely timely hitting, huge defensive plays, 0 errors, etc......
    We played almost perfect baseball.

vCash
    If you have the ESPN app you can watch it on demand. It's a damn good production.

vCash
    It's still funny to me that the final out was not really an out. Dude beat the throw on that bunt, but Ump was ready to pack it in, and Corbin said screw it and didn't challenge.

vCash
    great show--really proud of our Dogs.. but watched it with a bad taste in my mouth because we went from penthouse to the outhouse

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    It's still funny to me that the final out was not really an out. Dude beat the throw on that bunt, but Ump was ready to pack it in, and Corbin said screw it and didn't challenge.
    Well it was such a ****y move by Corbin to try the bunt in the 9th with 2 outs in a 9-0 title game the runner should have just been called out on principle alone. Un-written rules and shit.

I finished watching the doc today. Something that stood out to me was what Kyle Peterson said about having an ace. He said something along the lines of having a 1st round caliber ace gives the team a different level of confidence and that teams feed off it because they know that guy is in control. I think that is something that is somewhat under-rated with us losing Sims. We missed that dearly with Sims and KC going down. As much as we all like Presto, he isn't. Cade has started growing into it, but that Ace really sets the tone and a lot times it allows the #2 guy to thrive and grow into that role.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Well it was such a ****y move by Corbin to try the bunt in the 9th with 2 outs in a 9-0 title game the runner should have just been called out on principle alone. Un-written rules and shit.

I finished watching the doc today. Something that stood out to me was what Kyle Peterson said about having an ace. He said something along the lines of having a 1st round caliber ace gives the team a different level of confidence and that teams feed off it because they know that guy is in control. I think that is something that is somewhat under-rated with us losing Sims. We missed that dearly with Sims and KC going down. As much as we all like Presto, he isn't. Cade has started growing into it, but that Ace really sets the tone and a lot times it allows the #2 guy to thrive and grow into that role.
    Always enjoy your posts. I 100% agree with everything you just said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Always enjoy your posts. I 100% agree with everything you just said.
    I bet that bunt burned you up like it did me. It was so bush, and so like Corbin's petty ass.
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    I bet that bunt burned you up like it did me. It was so bush, and so like Corbin's petty ass.
    Yeah it did! Just no call for it there. Not a corbin OR vandy fan. It was kinda cool that the ump called him out when clearly he was safe. Kinda like the ump giving the middle finger to corbin.

vCash
    Great show but couldn't help notice last statement by Lemonis was that and when we win we are going to party. Injuries aside, I think we did party our way into a hangover in 22.** Time to rebuild asap and play with a hard nosed attitude in 23! Hail State!