Thread: Dante Kelley and the QB targets

vCash

Dante Kelley and the QB targets

Dante offer sheet has G5/FCS offers and MSU/Vandy. Not very impressive at 1st glance. WHat gives?

Which MSU QB prospect is better? Parson or Petty. Parson will not come if another QB is offered and accepts.

Maybe I am not informed. I don't follow recruiting as closely in the age of NIL/transfer portal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    Dante offer sheet has G5/FCS offers and MSU/Vandy. Not very impressive at 1st glance. WHat gives?

Which MSU QB prospect is better? Parson or Petty. Parson will not come if another QB is offered and accepts.

Maybe I am not informed. I don't follow recruiting as closely in the age of NIL/transfer portal.
    Petty is class of 24. Parsons is class of 23

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan77 View Post
    Petty is class of 24. Parsons is class of 23
    Ok. My bad. Old-timers is kickin' in.

vCash

We cant want to be the State school but then complain about their offer sheets.

We have some issues recruiting that I dont feel comfortable getting into yet but I just dont think we should give up on an in state kid this early

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post

We have some issues recruiting that I dont feel comfortable getting into yet but I just dont think we should give up on an in state kid this early
    A+ tease, Bucky. I'm intrigued...

vCash
    A lot of these guys will be further evaluated in the fall. But let's be honest, this is our recruiting. We're pulling almost no high end prospects outside of a player here or there.

vCash
    There are a lot of High School kids in this state that don't get a lot of exposure that can still be SEC worthy. Their offer sheets can be short if they play at smaller places or even if they have developed or grown a lot since last year.

These camps can be where guys get to show what they can do against other top level competition. Chris Jones didn't have an offer until a camp. I am not saying we found another 5 star this year but lots of good players come from these camps. Some even end up in the NFL.

What I watch for as a layman that can't really evaluate talent is if a guy gets and offer during camp or immediately thereafter. Those guys usually at least have the athleticism to be in the SEC. Some need to gain some weight or play a different position but the talent is usually there for these guys.

vCash
    What I hate to see as far as recruiting is an offer going late to a guy that camped just to fill out a signing class. Those guys rarely work out but ever since the portal came along, that may be more of a thing of the past.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    A lot of these guys will be further evaluated in the fall. But let's be honest, this is our recruiting. We're pulling almost no high end prospects outside of a player here or there.
    We pulled a good player yesterday. The ranking services seem to operate along corridors more than they used to which leaves a lot of ground uncovered. They're not reliable beyond the top 150.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post

Not sure what you are alluding too but we have let's just say rectified some issues from the last two classes.

vCash
    Way too early to making judgements on 2023 recruiting, especially with NIL. Many of the “ranked” guys will be flipping and flopping until the last day. A lot of these guys will be getting “stars” when they get more offers down the line.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    We pulled a good player yesterday. The ranking services seem to operate along corridors more than they used to which leaves a lot of ground uncovered. They're not reliable beyond the top 150.
    And I can show you how recruiting rankings matter, while at the same time saying they're lacking. Offers don't lie though. Not many kids falling between the cracks anymore. Any kid without a P5 offer is at least a question mark. Some of these kids will eventually get some. Some won't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Rock View Post
    There are a lot of High School kids in this state that don't get a lot of exposure that can still be SEC worthy. Their offer sheets can be short if they play at smaller places or even if they have developed or grown a lot since last year.

These camps can be where guys get to show what they can do against other top level competition. Chris Jones didn't have an offer until a camp. I am not saying we found another 5 star this year but lots of good players come from these camps. Some even end up in the NFL.

What I watch for as a layman that can't really evaluate talent is if a guy gets and offer during camp or immediately thereafter. Those guys usually at least have the athleticism to be in the SEC. Some need to gain some weight or play a different position but the talent is usually there for these guys.
    Chris Jones was also an EXTREME outlier. We got lucky he never went to another camp before the All American Bowl or he would have blown up way before January. Anyone on that staff will tell you to this day that they thought Chris Jones was the best prospect they had ever seen. They thought it was miles ahead of Nkemdiche.

vCash
    And I can show you how recruiting rankings matter, while at the same time saying they're lacking. Offers don't lie though. Not many kids falling between the cracks anymore. Any kid without a P5 offer is at least a question mark. Some of these kids will eventually get some. Some won't.
    I would say it is a huge question mark, especially when P5 schools ?offer? 100+ kids.

vCash

OM doesn't recruit MS high school kids anymore so he won't get an offer from them.

vCash
    Not many kids falling between the cracks anymore. Any kid without a P5 offer is at least a question mark.
    I think more players fall through the cracks now. There's a lot of SEC caliber players that are unknown at this point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    I think more players fall through the cracks now. There's a lot of SEC caliber players that are unknown at this point.
    Absolutely. The portal has not helped HS or Juco kids