Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
Paul Gregory had some really good teams when I was in school. Bunch of talent and dirt baggers also. What a great gentleman he was also
Crowds where big back then also. Say what folks want but MSU baseball started what the college crowds are now days.
Man U should have seen Phil Still hit and play 3rd base, he was drafted by Yankees, his probably not getting called up was Craig Nettles at third.
Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
We lived in Starkville in '76-78 while my dad was finishing his post grad work at State and I remember going to games at the Dude back then(I was in my early teen years then) and remember the big crowds and being naive, I just figured all college baseball teams had than kind of fan support.. Heck I remember when Buck Showalter was called Nat lol!

Just fun, simple times then.
Contrary to popular belief Polk came to MSU in part because of our crowds- not the other way around.

He had Georgia Southern going to regionals in the 1970's- which was a minor baseball miracle. But the school didn't support him. Georgia Southern had been going to regionals at MSU that were hosted at Dudy Noble even though MSU didn't qualify. That's where MSU and Polk first met. A lot of fans and boosters wanted Polk to replace Gregory and I guess the administration got caught up on Bragan's MiLB credentials and the fact that he was a scout that helped identify players for the Big Red Machine. The administration eventually got it right after they realized that Bragan was a train wreck.