Thread: Sam Purcell

vCash

Sam Purcell

https://hailstate.com/podcasts/dear-...am-purcell/185

Take a second to listen to this, I think he will get our girls back where we were a few years ago. We have a really good roster and he hired some really good assistant coaches

vCash
    good interview i think we hit a homerun with this hire...time tells all thanks for posting.

vCash
    If his coaching matches his level of enthusiasm and energy, we have a great one. I expect he will have the hump full again with his efforts to connect with the fan base.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCMSTFAN View Post
    https://hailstate.com/podcasts/dear-...am-purcell/185

Take a second to listen to this, I think he will get our girls back where we were a few years ago. We have a really good roster and he hired some really good assistant coaches
    Almost as good of an interviewer as JoMo. I'm sure he's going to bring us a championship.**

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Almost as good of an interviewer as JoMo. I'm sure he's going to bring us a championship.**
    I see what your doing here but you gotta love his enthusiasm and roster he put together.. sure he is unknown like Jomo but he deserves a shot and I like him so far. I have a feeling he will do better than Jans simply because he will be able to recruit to the SEC.. Im still worried about if Jans recruiting will match his coaching.

vCash
    I see what your doing here but you gotta love his enthusiasm and roster he put together.. sure he is unknown like Jomo but he deserves a shot and I like him so far. I have a feeling he will do better than Jans simply because he will be able to recruit to the SEC.. Im still worried about if Jans recruiting will match his coaching.
    I have no problem with purcell and didn't even listen to the interview. I just think it's funny when people take anything from how a coach interviews. Rick Ray wasn't a bad interviewer. He wasn't eloquent, but he knew the right things to say and came off as a great guy (which I think he was based on how gracious and appreciative he was when he was fired, whereas somebody like Croom was somehow bitter about failing his way to a multi-million dollar payday). People were convinced Moorhead was going to be a great coach. Stansbury was a terrible interviewer. Most head coaches tend to be good interviewers because you don't get to that level without being able to communicate with donors and administration and generally be able to rep the university well.

vCash
    You do realize that without the off the court thing at Bowling Green Chris Jans would not be at State right? Jans was on a rocket ship to a blue blood program before that. This guy is the real deal. He is 10-15x more proven and battle tested than Purcell. He also has done it twice now at non blue bloods. I am not worried in the least bit with Jans.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    You do realize that without the off the court thing at Bowling Green Chris Jans would not be at State right? Jans was on a rocket ship to a blue blood program before that. This guy is the real deal. He is 10-15x more proven and battle tested than Purcell. He also has done it twice now at non blue bloods. I am not worried in the least bit with Jans.
    Whoaaaa now, let's not get to far ahead of things. I like Jans. But, 1 21-12 season at Bowling Green doesn't put him on a rocketship to a blue blood. Bowling Green had been terribly coached, but had an NBA player on the roster. A competent coach in the MAC should go 21-12 in the MAC with an NBA player. Odds are he would have spent about the same number of years at BG as he did at NMST. I doubt he was in line to replace Coach K or Roy Williams.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    People were convinced Moorhead was going to be a great coach.

only the dumbass people....didn't like the hire and called for his head after the Kentucky debacle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    I have no problem with purcell and didn't even listen to the interview. I just think it's funny when people take anything from how a coach interviews. Rick Ray wasn't a bad interviewer. He wasn't eloquent, but he knew the right things to say and came off as a great guy (which I think he was based on how gracious and appreciative he was when he was fired, whereas somebody like Croom was somehow bitter about failing his way to a multi-million dollar payday). People were convinced Moorhead was going to be a great coach. Stansbury was a terrible interviewer. Most head coaches tend to be good interviewers because you don't get to that level without being able to communicate with donors and administration and generally be able to rep the university well.
    Why even comment on something if you didn't hear the interview? And Jomo wasn't known to be a good speaker so I don't know why you are comparing the two. Bottom line is I watch both men's and women's basketball alot and know the rosters very well, Im not a fair weather fan like some around here are.... this women's team damn near made the tourney with only 7 girls is basically coming back but we add Jessika Carter and a bunch of solid high major transfers to the fold.... that gives me some assurance that we will be a good team next year. As far as Purcel goes, he didn't get to where he is by not knowing how to coach, I get that he is still unknown as a HC but he started things off right recruiting well and maintaining our core pieces.. he seems smart and enthusiastic about what he has here, and that's coming from a guy who recruited and coached girls from Louisville who were just in the final 4 and also just got drafted. You would have heard that if you listened to the interview.. he knows when has has a good team and he said he has one at State

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    I have no doubt that Jans can coach, but what you need to worry about is if he can recruit. Just being a good coach won't get it done in the SEC when you are playing UK, Bama, Tennessee, Auburn, Florida, Arkansas type teams every week. Ask any good coach in the nation and they will tell you their success starts with recruiting. My initial concern with the Jans hire was his recruiting, I still have that concern... the guys he brought in are good mid major players...not sure if they are SEC starters.
    Last edited by NCMSTFAN; 06-09-2022 at 02:07 PM.

vCash
    Dude is on fire...you can tell he is loving every minute of it. MSU will be back in SEC/NCAA discussions. Ceiling Sweet 16?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
    People were convinced Moorhead was going to be a great coach.

only the dumbass people....didn't like the hire and called for his head after the Kentucky debacle.
    Ha, Ha, yes some were. I don't blame many for the optimism considering the talent we had on the roster and he was national O coord of the year. No one could know what a mess he would be. The bring championship and telling Fitz to clear room for Heisman off the plane concerned me instantly but I was hoping he would be good.

I am hopeful of Jans and Purcell. Both haven't really thrown too many red flags yet but lets see how next year goes. Neither have said anything really stupid I don't think and you gotta like their energy.