Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Memo to Coach Leach: IT and I mean IT is TIME Damnit

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    This will be the best team Leach coaches at State. We will see the proof this Fall
    I find that unlikely, unless Rogers is so good that he leaves early for the NFL after this year. The offense should be amazing in 2024 when Rogers is a 5th year senior.

vCash
    Our schedule is very tough every year, and drawing Georgia as our rotating East opponent makes it even tough than usual.

However, Arizona is the weakest team in the P5 other than Vanderbilt, and Memphis/Bowling Green both at home makes for a fairly easy non-conference slate. If we are less than 4-0 outside the SEC, that's a huge oof for Leach.

Inside the SEC, we should have at least a solid chance against LSU, Auburn, Arkansas, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, and Kentucky. I bet we get more than 2 of those.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyPirate View Post
    Best team he’s had yet....but I think given time he will have better O lines and q bs who can run and throw deep will give the offense a much different look.
    I dont see us having better OL's. We just had a guy drafted top 10 and our C is getting a ton of pub. We'll see how they keep developing players- but we havent signed anybody close to Cross under Leach.

Leach doesnt remotely look for a mobile QB. Leach is 61- he will only have 3-4 more recruiting classes at most. NIL is at hand now.

This will be his best team at State
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    7 wins will be the ceiling. I believe we really struggle to get bowl eligible this year.
    With you on this.

vCash
    This season is on Will. How far has he come? How well has he matured? Can he hit the deep threat consistently?

This team goes as far as he goes.

vCash
    We have to win all 4 non conference games and then beat Auburn Arkansas and Ole Miss. Losing any of those will be inexcusable. Alabama and Georgia are out the window so that leaves 3 games @LSU, @UK and aTm. Win 1 of those and a bowl game and it?s a good year. Win 2 and that should put us in a NY6 bowl

vCash
    It's not a loser mentality at all to be concerned about the Left Tackle position and the fact that Will Rogers has concrete shoes.

There will be triple the amount of sacks this season.

vCash
    I see 6-7 wins. Maybe 8 if things go well. (regular season, excludes bowl game)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    It's not a loser mentality at all to be concerned about the Left Tackle position and the fact that Will Rogers has concrete shoes.

This, along with losing Polk, is why I think we will not be as good as we were last year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    This, along with losing Polk, is why I think we will not be as good as we were last year.
    Polk is a loss, but not one that can't be overcome. He didn't even get drafted. Justin Robinson has the potential to fill those yards, as does Jamire Calvin, as does RaRa. In Leach's system, I wouldn't be shocked if a kid like Scoobie Ford broke out with 800-900 yards this season.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    This will be the best team Leach coaches at State. We will see the proof this Fall
    I don't think so. This is a lot like a couple of Mullen's teams. Lots of talent overall but a glaring weakness or two that hamstrings us. We're going to be good everywhere but the tackle spots. Unfortunately, those are sort of important in the SEC. I don't think Will can keep the accuracy he needs while constantly taking shots. I know the weather was a factor too, but that is part of what happened at the egg bowl. I am also not sure Will can stay healthy a whole season with two subpar tackles.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Polk is a loss, but not one that can't be overcome. He didn't even get drafted. Justin Robinson has the potential to fill those yards, as does Jamire Calvin, as does RaRa. In Leach's system, I wouldn't be shocked if a kid like Scoobie Ford broke out with 800-900 yards this season.
    ^^^ Polk had a great year, but he's a product of the system. His YAC was not good at all, and YAC is what really makes this offense hum!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    wonder who will be our new go-to for 1st down guy ... Last year it was Austin Williams but who knows this year
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    wonder who will be our new go-to for 1st down guy ... Last year it was Austin Williams but who knows this year
    Austin is still playing this season the last I read. He caught a lot of passes in the middle of those zone coverages. He could have a big year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Austin is still playing this season the last I read. He caught a lot of passes in the middle of those zone coverages. He could have a big year.
    wow, I thought he was done. Doesn't he have a masters by now ? .... If so, you just made my day
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    I dont see us having better OL's. We just had a guy drafted top 10 and our C is getting a ton of pub. We'll see how they keep developing players- but we havent signed anybody close to Cross under Leach.

Leach doesnt remotely look for a mobile QB. Leach is 61- he will only have 3-4 more recruiting classes at most. NIL is at hand now.

This will be his best team at State
    Cross is not on this team. The o lines when cross was here had some holes. Leach and His o line coach can and will have better o lines than what we?ve had just based on stacking recruiting classes. Leach will never have a run first q b but he will have guys who can avoid a sack and run for a first down if it?s open. It will also open up the defense when he gets one of these blue chip recruits who has a big arm who can stretch the field vertically and throw sideline to sideline.

You have to recruit pass blocking O lines and stack/build recruiting classes. It?s nonsense to say ?nope he can?t ever have a better o line here?.

The kid he?s looking at from FSU is a very mobile q b

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post

That’s a legit concern. Holes on the O line combined with a q b who can not avoid a sack to save his life is a bad combo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyPirate View Post
    Cross is not on this team. The o lines when cross was here had some holes. Leach and His o line coach can and will have better o lines than what we?ve had just based on stacking recruiting classes. Leach will never have a run first q b but he will have guys who can avoid a sack and run for a first down if it?s open. It will also open up the defense when he gets one of these blue chip recruits who has a big arm who can stretch the field vertically and throw sideline to sideline.

You have to recruit pass blocking O lines and stack/build recruiting classes. It?s nonsense to say ?nope he can?t ever have a better o line here?.

The kid he?s looking at from FSU is a very mobile q b
    He might have qbs that are more mobile and elusive, but I don't think any of his recruits are going to be routinely scrambling for first downs. They are going to stay behind the line of scrimmage and keep their head up until they can't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    He might have qbs that are more mobile and elusive, but I don't think any of his recruits are going to be routinely scrambling for first downs. They are going to stay behind the line of scrimmage and keep their head up until they can't.
    Watch tape of Minshew. The guy was a matador against the pass rush and would run for a first down when it was there. Makes a huge difference against sec d lines. Leach q b s are never going to be RPO or run first but buying time, avoiding a sack and extending a play are invaluable and really make the O lines job easier.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Will scrambled for a few first downs last year. One of the most memorable was AU late in the first half when we starting to put things together. Getting that first down alone was effing huge. We scored a td three plays later, iirc.