Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball Tranfers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    There is only so much scholarship money available. Have to be specific and know the difference between, wants and needs. Have to's and would like to haves
    If Luke comes back, that would really help. Otherwise, we Have to sign a transfer catcher. Need 1 more OF. And need 1 more MIF. Then everything else has to go to arms.

vCash
    Really like the ledbedder pickup. Just make the tournament next year. Should have a good young group that can grow to be special in the next few years.

vCash
    I see it something like this....

RF: Kellum
    CF: Groff or O'donnell
    LF: Ledbetter

3B: Slate
    SS: Lane
    2B: Chester or transfer
    1B: Hines
    DH: Downs
    C: Hancock or transfer

So that's 3 open spots for transfer position players. Then pour all other scholarship money, NIL money, and efforts into re-tooling the pitching staff

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    I see it something like this....

RF: Kellum
    CF: Groff or O'donnell
    LF: Ledbetter

3B: Slate
    SS: Lane
    2B: Chester or transfer
    1B: Hines
    DH: Downs
    C: Hancock or transfer

So that's 3 open spots for transfer position players. Then pour all other scholarship money, NIL money, and efforts into re-tooling the pitching staff
    You forgot Tommy Tanks***

vCash
    I think some will be surprised a little by what we bring in. We aren't settling for guys that haven't proven they can hit it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    I think some will be surprised a little by what we bring in. We aren't settling for guys that haven't proven they can hit it.
    We aren’t necessarily worried about the hitting part. We are worried about the pitching part.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TNDawg35 View Post
    We aren’t necessarily worried about the hitting part. We are worried about the pitching part.
    We? I'm just saying, we're looking and if good hitter is available where we need them, we're going to grab them. Our lineup next year is far from great with what we've got. We're going to sign pitching, but we aren't done with hitters either.

vCash
    If MSU can replace a pen with a weighed average ERA of +7 with dudes that just 4 on ERA, that's a huge swing in outcomes.

That's roughly 12 more wins, 7 more in the SEC. You make a regional and host it.

That's just 6 decent pitchers.

If you could find a Jonathan Holder (just a miracle) you are in a Super.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    We? I'm just saying, we're looking and if good hitter is available where we need them, we're going to grab them. Our lineup next year is far from great with what we've got. We're going to sign pitching, but we aren't done with hitters either.
    Oh no, I agree totally. You take everything and process what you don’t. I just wanna know when the pitchers are coming. There are several decent to good arms in the portal and have already went other places. We knew we needed pitching, we should have cleaned up on that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    I know but he's still a Juco. Those are wildcards for the most part.
    True. But the JUCO's that played at a SEC school are a little bit less of a wild card. See Nate Lowe and Jack Kruger.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouDawg View Post
    Really like the ledbedder pickup. Just make the tournament next year. Should have a good young group that can grow to be special in the next few years.
    Next year is essentially going to be Lemonis's version of Cohen's 2011. With a modern twist because of the players we are going to get for the portal.

Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    If MSU can replace a pen with a weighed average ERA of +7 with dudes that just 4 on ERA, that's a huge swing in outcomes.

That's roughly 12 more wins, 7 more in the SEC. You make a regional and host it.

Exactly. And we don't have to get them all from the portal. I think we see some old guys improve- hopefully Fristoe- and we always seem to have at least one freshman pitcher a year that contributes in some role every year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post

We had 3 Saves this year. THREE. If we had any one of Riley Self, Jon Holder, Spencer Price, Jared Liebelt, Chad Girodo, Cole Gordon, etc - we have 5-8 more wins and likely make post season.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    We had 3 Saves this year. THREE
    Damn! That is horrendous. I didn't even think about that.

vCash
    Oh no, I agree totally. You take everything and process what you don?t. I just wanna know when the pitchers are coming. There are several decent to good arms in the portal and have already went other places. We knew we needed pitching, we should have cleaned up on that.
    The run on pitchers starts next week I believe. I think there are two we're close to grabbing up. Not positive on one but we'll see.

vCash
    What website is the go to for monitoring who is in portal?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Travelingdawg View Post
    Not elitedawgs.... all you'll get here are posters with vague info like "we're about to pickup 3 pitchers, i just can't say who yet" or "we're close with a couple hitters, but I can't drop a name"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by raymonddawg View Post
    Not elitedawgs.... all you'll get here are posters with vague info like "we're about to pickup 3 pitchers, i just can't say who yet" or "we're close with a couple hitters, but I can't drop a name"
    That reminds me of Robin Williams' Donald Rumsfeld impression:

"I don't know where....I don't know when....but something awful is going to happen".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    I don't think you can really compare what happened last summer versus what is happening now. The NCAA approved the 1 Free Transfer Rule on April 28th last year. By rule, we were in a recruiting dead period until June 1. Players had until July 1 to get in the portal.
    https://theathletic.com/news/ncaa-ap.../z4VeShqu36oD/

We were in the middle of a Natty run that went until June 30th. Teams that went deep into Omaha were at a real disadvantage last year with the way the NCAA opened recruiting up. Of the Final Four teams last season a combined 6 portal guys were signed: 1 by Vandy, 2 by MSU, 3 by UT, and 0 by NC State. That is less than LSU or A&M had as teams. Of course, they were sitting at home while we were in Omaha.

I don't want anyone to mistake this we me thinking we shouldn't be hitting hard right now, we should be. I just think the answer isn't quite as simple as "Lemonis missed capitalizing on the Natty in the Portal"
    Cant rep you but good post Brunswick ... you always seem to do your research and it's appreciated
    Cad - I feel your frustration and I thought our 2014 football season would give us a much better bump in recruiting - but it didn't really - not so much as one would expect
    Last edited by FISHDAWG; 06-09-2022 at 11:23 AM.
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Here's a RHP from Stetson we should take a look at. Put up a 3.21 ERA, 55 Ks, 12 BBs in 53 IP as a freshman. He'd be a good bullpen piece with multiple years of eligibility. Currently in the portal.

https://d1baseball.com/player/4wgFCc...nic-stagliano/

Here's a MIF we've been rumored to have reached out to

https://d1baseball.com/player/kpuub28k/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Travelingdawg View Post

Portal FAQ in a student-athlete website

Can anyone view the transfer portal?
    When providing access to the transfer portal for coaching or staff members, by default, the individual will have view only privileges. Edit privileges should only be provided to individuals who will enter and update the student’s record.

Can the public view the NCAA transfer portal?
    Coaches can see who is in the portal, but it is not public information. Athletes can withdraw from the portal; it’s then up to the school to decide whether to take that athlete back and restore his/her scholarship.

Can you remove your name from the transfer portal?
    If a student puts their name in the portal, it is not in there permanently. Student athletes can remove their names if they want to. The portal gives coaches the ability to sort entries by sport, name, conference, division, and school. it also gives them the ability to save entries to a “transfer watchlist”.

Is the transfer portal public?
    But with the advent of the Transfer Portal, interest in the process behind approving transfers has intensified — partly because the idea of a new digital tool for managing it is intriguing, and partly because the media and the public don’t have access to the portal.

This is supposedly a screenshot of the official "portal" database that coaches have access to:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Here's a RHP from Stetson we should take a look at. Put up a 3.21 ERA, 55 Ks, 12 BBs in 53 IP as a freshman. He'd be a good bullpen piece with multiple years of eligibility. Currently in the portal.

https://d1baseball.com/player/4wgFCc...nic-stagliano/

Here's a MIF we've been rumored to have reached out to

https://d1baseball.com/player/kpuub28k/
    Both good, proven D1 players. A 2nd-Baseman is needed and this is a great freshman arm.