Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball Tranfers

vCash

Baseball Tranfers

So are waiting for the draft or what? I saw where USCw best pitcher is going to A&M per Rogers. I mean there are 2 Tulane players we were rumored for and both seasons are over. Plus they promoted their assistant coach to head coach. So what are we waiting on!!?? I mean hell we need a whole pitching staff and we have gotten what 1 or 2 so far?

vCash
    Yeah. I'm antsy to see some movement.

vCash
    and we lost the Miami of Ohio pitcher to AU. He was rumored to MSU.

vCash
    This coaching staff took one hell of a victory lap after that natty.

vCash
    We're about to get another transfer I believe. I expect one by maybe end of week, we'll see.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    We're about to get another transfer I believe. I expect one by maybe end of week, we'll see.
    Go ahead and spill it. Who is it? Atleast say it’s a pitcher…

vCash
    Lemonis needs +20 transfers or new players. Need a full pitching staff with only 4 guys potentially coming back, factoring the draft (Sims, Hunt, B Smith, Loftin, Preston, The Amphibian) and injury recovery (Stone, Stinnett, Auger).

If the JC guy MSU signed is really 99 to 100, he is a draft risk too.

The coaches know next year is for all the marbles, so they have clarity. Also, Vitello, Van Horne, LSU, OSullivan, Bianco, Butch and Schloss are all busy for the next month, could give MSU and edge on recruiting and scouting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TNDawg35 View Post
    So are waiting for the draft or what? I saw where USCw best pitcher is going to A&M per Rogers. I mean there are 2 Tulane players we were rumored for and both seasons are over. Plus they promoted their assistant coach to head coach. So what are we waiting on!!?? I mean hell we need a whole pitching staff and we have gotten what 1 or 2 so far?
    The only Tulane player I've heard that we're in on is Groff.

Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    Lemonis needs +20 transfers or new players. Need a full pitching staff with only 4 guys potentially coming back, factoring the draft (Sims, Hunt, B Smith, Loftin, Preston, The Amphibian) and injury recovery (Stone, Stinnett, Auger).

If the JC guy MSU signed is really 99 to 100, he is a draft risk too.

The coaches know next year is for all the marbles, so they have clarity. Also, Vitello, Van Horne, LSU, OSullivan, Bianco, Butch and Schloss are all busy for the next month, could give MSU and edge on recruiting and scouting.
    I don't expect Simmons or Auger to contribute much if at all next year. Expect them to be redshirted. Good chance that Stinnett is done with baseball much less MSU.

There's a lot of moving parts here still. The regionals literally ended yesterday so players are just now entering the portal. We'll see some more players enter after the Supers and Omaha as well.

And as you said we need to try to figure out what is going to happen with the draft with our recruits and former players.

Also, the Cape starts in a few days. I'll be keeping a close eye on Fristoe.

Holcombe the JUCO you are referring to likely will be coming to school.

vCash
    Our pursuit of Groff is starting to heat up immensely.

We are on the AF pitcher Skenes but behind a couple of teams at the moment.

We are on a couple of other pitchers as well, should start to become clearer in the next week.

Also do not be surprised if you see some LSU guys hit the portal this week.

vCash
    If we see a trend of losing portal targets, especially pitchers, we have problems outside of simple roster issues. We just won a NC and have more than half of a roster to fill out, therefore plenty of playing time and innings available.

I hope we have gotten rid of the waitress that was telling baseball recruits how shitty Starkville and MSU is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    and we lost the Miami of Ohio pitcher to AU. He was rumored to MSU.
    Butch capitalizing on his current season on the recruiting trail...wish our guy had done that last year around this time, and maybe we wouldn't be in the situation we are now.

No days off in recruiting in the SEC in any sport...I don't understand why State can't seem to hire people that understand this. Recruiting has to be a passion of the coach in this league...and frankly, the money is so good that it should be demanded and expected. Lemonis clearly let his foot off the gas last year and got lazy. He can fix it, but it's a damn shame that it got to this point so quickly, and on the heels of a Natty. That just can't happen. I know I'm beating a dead horse, it just kills me when we fail to build off of good seasons in any sport. Happens too much here.

The baseball portal updates on guy like Groff, are starting to sound a lot like the Moseley situation in hoops...a lot of noise and nothing to show for it. Really need to start closing these guys. We are no longer the shiniest object in the room, and as Omaha progresses, we will only look less appealing.
    Last edited by CadaverDawg; 06-08-2022 at 10:07 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Butch capitalizing on his current season on the recruiting trail...wish our guy had done that last year around this time, and maybe we wouldn't be in the situation we are now.

No days off in recruiting in the SEC in any sport...I don't understand why State can't seem to hire people that understand this. Recruiting has to be a passion of the coach in this league...and frankly, the money is so good that it should be demanded and expected. Lemonis clearly let his foot off the gas last year and got lazy. He can fix it, but it's a damn shame that it got to this point so quickly, and on the heels of a Natty. That just can't happen. I know I'm beating a dead horse, it just kills me when we fail to build off of good seasons in any sport. Happens too much here.

The baseball portal updates on guy like Groff, are starting to sound a lot like the Moseley situation in hoops...a lot of noise and nothing to show for it. Really need to start closing these guys. We are no longer the shiniest object in the room, and as Omaha progresses, we will only look less appealing.
    Unfortunately, recency bias is a thing. People tend to remember the most recent events, and we recently looked like poo. Should have capitalized more when we were in Omaha. Of course, we can still get some players, but it's funny how fast the shine gets knocked off that natty when you look as bad as we did this year. Add to that your in state and SEC rivals still playing, and it's hard to swallow.

vCash
    So Butch takes a target player, has about the same 2022 class, better 2023 class, and maybe the same 2024 class ... at Auburn. With a worse stadium, worse tradition, no championship, ugly uniforms, ugly school colors, for another small town school, and MSU has the "elite" recruiter

When is this elite recruiting supposed to kick in.

Even Ole Miss' recruiting looks just as good or better as MSU's in coming years, even with OM coach rumors and a history of epic chokes
    Last edited by The Federalist Engineer; 06-08-2022 at 11:35 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    So Butch takes a target player, has about the same 2022 class, better 2023 class, and maybe the same 2024 class ... at Auburn. With a worse stadium, worse tradition, no championship, ugly uniforms, ugly school colors, for another small town school, and MSU has the "elite" recruiter

When is this elite recruiting supposed to kick in.

Even Ole Miss' recruiting looks just as good or better as MSU's in coming years, even with OM coach rumors and a history of epic chokes
    Our 22, 23, and 24 classes are rated #8, #8 and #4

vCash
    I just don't think recruiting rankings in baseball translate to on-the-field results like they do in football and basketball. Too many unknowns and too many crapshoots. Unless you hang on to a handful of top 5 round draft choices. Which isn't going to happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post

I don't think you can really compare what happened last summer versus what is happening now. The NCAA approved the 1 Free Transfer Rule on April 28th last year. By rule, we were in a recruiting dead period until June 1. Players had until July 1 to get in the portal.
    https://theathletic.com/news/ncaa-ap.../z4VeShqu36oD/

We were in the middle of a Natty run that went until June 30th. Teams that went deep into Omaha were at a real disadvantage last year with the way the NCAA opened recruiting up. Of the Final Four teams last season a combined 6 portal guys were signed: 1 by Vandy, 2 by MSU, 3 by UT, and 0 by NC State. That is less than LSU or A&M had as teams. Of course, they were sitting at home while we were in Omaha.

I don't want anyone to mistake this we me thinking we shouldn't be hitting hard right now, we should be. I just think the answer isn't quite as simple as "Lemonis missed capitalizing on the Natty in the Portal"
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by State82 View Post
    I just don't think recruiting rankings in baseball translate to on-the-field results like they do in football and basketball. Too many unknowns and too many crapshoots. Unless you hang on to a handful of top 5 round draft choices. Which isn't going to happen.
    This is a good point why I think the portal is important. Get someone who has proven themselves as a G5 or P5 player. That is a much safer investment. Don't get people that were highly ranked out of high school but failed at the P5 level at a different program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripp McNeely View Post
    Our 22, 23, and 24 classes are rated #8, #8 and #4
    In baseball, you have to look at the whole crop and then mentally discount all the Blaze Jordan and James McCants and James Woods that are super high rated, but will never play for MSU. Some are the crazy people that like to talk to Salesmen from the Glenngarry Glennross movie.

Poor Jack Lemmon thinks he won the sales competition, then Kevin Spacey informs him the buyers are crazy people that will never actually close the deal. But Jack had been ringing the bell, for sales.

Even the mighty Texas midget that Coach34 does not like, that's a 95% fake croot. Same with the amphibian.

Baseball teams at MSU are built on middle of the class players like Pilkington and Hunter Hines, so tough to judge. So in overall, you can judge that Auburn is not behind us in any way, looking at the upper but mid-range players that both teams will likely keep.

vCash
    MSU just gained a commitment from Samfords best player.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by raymonddawg View Post
    MSU just gained a commitment from Samfords best player.
    Samford is usually pretty good. Who is it?

By the way, I didn't realize Maurice Hampton was at Samford. He was a 4 star baseball/football player that we wanted out of a memphis that went to LSU, and clearly didn't turn out to be as good as once thought. Did he get injured or something? What happened to him? He seemed like a can't miss player