Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball Tranfers

vCash
    It's the portal world now. We can't wait on the draft. Go get every useful player you've got a spot for, then sort it out after the draft. We know who we're losing. If we get a commit from a borderline draft guy, adjust afterwards. Don't just get stuck waiting on something that might not happen. And heck, maybe they do have a couple guys lined up but not publicly committed due to that. We can hope.

vCash
    Seems to be lots of crickets chirping when it comes to MSU getting players out of the portal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    It's the portal world now. We can't wait on the draft. Go get every useful player you've got a spot for, then sort it out after the draft. We know who we're losing. If we get a commit from a borderline draft guy, adjust afterwards. Don't just get stuck waiting on something that might not happen. And heck, maybe they do have a couple guys lined up but not publicly committed due to that. We can hope.
    That?s what Tennessee did last year? brought a bunch of players in and sorted it out in fall.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Bound to be some sleepers in the portals. I don't follow or keep up with recruiting, but things will come together shortly.
    I hear you--but that is what I kept saying about our season--instead of coming together shorty we went to shit shortly.

vCash
    I've been in Lemonis' camp all season even through the debacle that was this year. But color me concerned at this point. We should be authoritative when it comes to getting the people we want to come play here - nobody has more to offer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    I've been in Lemonis' camp all season even through the debacle that was this year. But color me concerned at this point. We should be authoritative when it comes to getting the people we want to come play here - nobody has more to offer.
    this is going to ruffle some feathers, but some need to hear it. In terms of baseball, we have more than almost everyone and as much as the rest, BUT this is Mississippi and small town Mississippi on top of that. Unless a kid is focused solely on baseball and the campus, not many are going to be excited about the area. I'm basically a semi rural Mississippian and even I get the negatives. If you listen closely to our baseball coaches (past and present) talk about recruiting, they give you hints that Starkville and MS isn't for everybody. These kids aren't living in Dudy Noble. If they were, we would be able to cherry pick, but that isn't reality. This is why I won't get my hopes to high for these pitchers from California.

vCash
    My concern is we aren't pulling players from Florida. We always had good FL players. Only one on the roster is a transfer, and he was our best player this year. We've got a draft risk pitcher from FL this time and that's it. We're too MS heavy. I'm all for taking the top MS kids but we're taking too many. Look how many have left after signing, both HS and Juco.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    this is going to ruffle some feathers, but some need to hear it. In terms of baseball, we have more than almost everyone and as much as the rest, BUT this is Mississippi and small town Mississippi on top of that. Unless a kid is focused solely on baseball and the campus, not many are going to be excited about the area. I'm basically a semi rural Mississippian and even I get the negatives. If you listen closely to our baseball coaches (past and present) talk about recruiting, they give you hints that Starkville and MS isn't for everybody. These kids aren't living in Dudy Noble. If they were, we would be able to cherry pick, but that isn't reality. This is why I won't get my hopes to high for these pitchers from California.
    So why did we drop $68M on a new baseball stadium?

vCash
    To possibly outweigh the negatives that Al just mentioned. It's not like picking a kid for an all star team due to him having a pretty momma. MSU baseball needs kids with actual talent.

vCash
    College Baseball players that are worth their salt are generally solely focused on baseball. The only other thing they usually care about are girls. And there ain't no shortage around campus. Never has been.

vCash
    LSU just picked up Baylors SS and lead off hitter… I mean are we literally waiting til after the draft or are we content with what we have?

vCash
    To quote army recruit John Winger- Lemon say "I'm pacing myself"
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    There's some truth in this. We can't sign "anyone we want", but we should be able to get our fair share of the top talent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    To quote army recruit John Winger- Lemon say "I'm pacing myself"
    Well, he did end up defeating the USSR with nothing but a RV, so...**

vCash
    I?m concerned about recruiting now after reading all this

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Activated Alpha View Post
    I?m concerned about recruiting now after reading all this
    I've been concerned. To quote Ruth Langmore in "Ozark", while others are playing chess we are playing 17ing Candy Land.

vCash
    Well I get not reeling in a bunch a players from the West Coast or Northeast. None of them are just naturally going to jump to come to MS just on reputation alone. But at this stage in 2022 Starkville has most things that a smaller southern college town is going to have and need. Now 25 years ago that wasn't necessarily true but its not like we are trying to recruit kids to come play in Afghanistan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by State82 View Post
    I've been concerned. To quote Ruth Langmore in "Ozark", while others are playing chess we are playing 17ing Candy Land.
    Solid quote my friend. Real solid

vCash
    Is McCants transferring from TSUN? I know he is not hitting right now but just curious

vCash
    he struggles with LHP. he can stay