Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball Tranfers

vCash
    Yep, we're dragging ass and making excuses. I'm starting to question a lot of things going on with this staff. We desperately need arms. And honestly, we need proven arms. FR aren't coming in and fixing everything. Our Juco guy throws hard, but he's a lot like the guys Foxhall brings in with some control issues. It looks like we're content to build a team in a couple years instead of now.
    Last edited by Cooterpoot; 06-21-2022 at 09:17 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Yep, we're dragging ass and making excuses. I'm starting to question a lot of things going on with this staff. We desperately need arms. And honestly, we need proven arms. FR aren't coming in and fixing everything. Our Juco guy throws hard, but he's a lot like the guys Foxhall brings in with some control issues. It looks like we're content to build a team in a couple years instead of now.
    I'm with ya on this one Cooter. We seem to be either getting passed up by some or we have our eyes on others. If the latter is true you can be left holding the bag and that's what scares me. Hopefully we don't have to settle for what we're getting but as more time goes by that's my concern.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    I'm with ya on this one Cooter. We seem to be either getting passed up by some or we have our eyes on others. If the latter is true you can be left holding the bag and that's what scares me. Hopefully we don't have to settle for what we're getting but as more time goes by that's my concern.
    I would say, this is unknowable to us, outside of the actual recruiting war room.

Even in business, you hire a girl from Dartmouth. She seems like a straight shooter and well put together. Then, after you get her verbal, she goes silent and you don't have a signed offer letter. You call, she all of a sudden has a boyfriend in law-school in Chicago. "He could live with her parents for a semester, but he is planning to live with her best friend who is a Norwegian girl that drinks too much."

She calls again, wants more money and to work remotely from Chicago.

Then the kid from Navy that you wanted originally, that told you that he wanted to join GE, now wants to talk again.

HR wants the Dartmouth girl, because she is a girl and they thought she had a Norwegian girlfriend in Chicago. They don't want to pass up on an elite diverse candidate, even as the Navy kid is available.

This whole transfer portal thing probably sucks for drama. There is an awesome interview with Dan McDonnell last year, he decided to keep his recruits that he knew better and cherry picked the Portal carefully. Seemed successful, then he got eliminated by Texas A&M that basically retooled in a single summer with a hiring haul of transfers.

vCash
    I saw Holcombe pitch a couple times this year and he actually showed pretty good command. He overthrows at times as a lot of young guys do that throw that hard, but what impressed me was how well he commanded his slider and he also has a fair changeup. I know a lot of people fall in love with the velo but his command of his slider impressed me and what will separate him from some other just velo guys.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    I would say, this is unknowable to us, outside of the actual recruiting war room.

Even in business, you hire a girl from Dartmouth. She seems like a straight shooter and well put together. Then, after you get her verbal, she goes silent and you don't have a signed offer letter. You call, she all of a sudden has a boyfriend in law-school in Chicago. "He could live with her parents for a semester, but he is planning to live with her best friend who is a Norwegian girl that drinks too much."

Then the kid from Navy that you wanted originally, that told you that he wanted to join GE, now wants to talk again.

HR wants the Dartmouth girl, because she is a girl and they thought she had a Norwegian girlfriend in Chicago. They don't want to pass up on an elite diverse candidate, even as the Navy kid is available.

This whole transfer portal thing probably sucks for drama. There is an awesome interview with Dan McDonnell last year, he decided to keep his recruits that he knew better and cherry picked the Portal carefully. Seemed successful, then he got eliminated by Texas A&M that basically retooled in a single summer with a hiring haul of transfers.
    Never hire a girl from Dartmouth. Learned my lesson on that. Lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I saw Holcombe pitch a couple times this year and he actually showed pretty good command. He overthrows at times as a lot of young guys do that throw that hard, but what impressed me was how well he commanded his slider and he also has a fair changeup. I know a lot of people fall in love with the velo but his command of his slider impressed me and what will separate him from some other just velo guys.
    I saw a couple games and he was solid but was inconsistent. Maybe was a off couple days. Assuming we don't try to change everything and just tweak, he will help us. He can go really high in the draft if he progresses.

vCash
    I saw a couple games and he was solid but was inconsistent. Maybe was a off couple days. Assuming we don't try to change everything and just tweak, he will help us. He can go really high in the draft if he progresses.
    Yeah it's always hard to try to evaluate a guy on only seeing him a couple times. I've only seen him a couple of times too and heck I may be way off on him. He definitely has a high ceiling but we all know how that can crumble. Pitchers are harder to evaluate than offensive lineman and quarterbacks. MLB teams draft pitchers every year that are "can't miss" and never get out of the minors, so my evaluations are rudimentary at best. I believe you're right if we just let him alone and just tweak him a little he can be a huge help.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post

Can we get picks of the one who drinks too much???

vCash
    Just from hearing the names of some of the pitchers we are on it could be really good or really bad. We need the chips to fall our way or we are going to be relying on freshman and guys who were inconsistent last year.

vCash
    If we don't sign some quality pitching, we need to sign a new pitching coach. Next season will be a train wreck if we don't. And folks won't survive another train wreck.

vCash
    Just from hearing the names of some of the pitchers we are on it could be really good or really bad.

Inquiring minds want to know who they are.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Travelingdawg View Post
    Just from hearing the names of some of the pitchers we are on it could be really good or really bad.

Inquiring minds want to know who they are.
    The big fish is Skenes. Dominic Stagliano from Stetson is another name as well as Zach Devito from Tulane. Matt Keating from USCw and Hunter Cranton at San Diego St are two more to keep an eye on.

As of now we are not pushing for Christian Little from Vandy

vCash
    Stetson kid is a draft risk. Skenes not committing is concerning. The rest are way behind those two IMO. But we need a ton of pitching help.

vCash
    Zach Devito from Tulane is a good pitcher we're on.

But we need a weekend starter to pair with Cade, and right now, we don't have one. I'm not going to say Skenes is a must get bc there's a lot of teams on him but a starting pitcher near his caliber absolutely is a must get or we're in deep shit next year.

The bats will be fine

vCash
    Bound to be some sleepers in the portals. I don't follow or keep up with recruiting, but things will come together shortly.

vCash
    Thanks Vegas.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Bound to be some sleepers in the portals. I don't follow or keep up with recruiting, but things will come together shortly.
    Hope we do a heck of a lot better than some sleepers.

vCash
    I'm going to wait until after the draft until around August 1 before I make a judgement call on this. Adding Gartman will help a lot I think. Hopefully he'll play the Houton Harding/Peyton Plumlee role. Also, KC Hunt has looked really good this summer. Need to see what Fristoe does this summer. I expect there to be competition no matter who we bring in. We also return Pico and we've added a reliever from Ball State. Holcombe is going to be a big test for Foxhall IMO. He has the same credentials as Walling did at this time. We need him to be a contributor. We also return Cade Smith who is proven and potentially Preston Johnson. Odds are at least one freshman will pan out in year one.

Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    The thing is he really does need some mechanical tweaks. So we can't just hope that Foxhall leaves him alone. It's ridiculous to have a pitching coach that potentially can't develop pitchers- but Holcombe is going to be a big test for Foxhall as well as the others.

If we don't sign some quality pitching, we need to sign a new pitching coach. Next season will be a train wreck if we don't. And folks won't survive another train wreck.
    You're right that Foxhall is coaching for his job next year. Regardless of what/who we bring in we can't just rely on the portal every year. Our pitching coach has to develop pitchers to a degree. Even in MLB the pitching coaches develop their players and they're way more polished than college pitchers obviously. We can't have a pitching coach that is essentially a "game manager". And if we have another year of a staff wiped out with injuries that's a huge red flag as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    The big fish is Skenes. Dominic Stagliano from Stetson is another name as well as Zach Devito from Tulane. Matt Keating from USCw and Hunter Cranton at San Diego St are two more to keep an eye on.

As of now we are not pushing for Christian Little from Vandy
    A lot of fans are forgetting about Thatcher Hurd as well. If we get Skenes we're probably pretty close to being done with starters because that would mean we would have Skenes*, Cade Smith, Hunt probably, Fristoe*, Gartman, Holcombe*, and whatever freshmen competing for spots. Sure, we'll take a Stagliano or someone of that caliber. Really our focus should be more on the bullpen. We need a closer as badly as we need an ace to emerge.

I figured we wouldn't push too hard for Little just because I had heard he was looking for a guaranteed rotation spot and the reality is we're going to have a ton of competition in the fall.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I'm going to wait until after the draft until around August 1 before I make a judgement call on this. Adding Gartman will help a lot I think. Hopefully he'll play the Houton Harding/Peyton Plumlee role. Also, KC Hunt has looked really good this summer. Need to see what Fristoe does this summer. I expect there to be competition no matter who we bring in. We also return Pico and we've added a reliever from Ball State. Holcombe is going to be a big test for Foxhall IMO. He has the same credentials as Walling did at this time. We need him to be a contributor. We also return Cade Smith who is proven and potentially Preston Johnson. Odds are at least one freshman will pan out in year one.

The thing is he really does need some mechanical tweaks. So we can't just hope that Foxhall leaves him alone. It's ridiculous to have a pitching coach that potentially can't develop pitchers- but Holcombe is going to be a big test for Foxhall as well as the others.

You're right that Foxhall is coaching for his job next year. Regardless of what/who we bring in we can't just rely on the portal every year. Our pitching coach has to develop pitchers to a degree. Even in MLB the pitching coaches develop their players and they're way more polished than college pitchers obviously. We can't have a pitching coach that is essentially a "game manager". And if we have another year of a staff wiped out with injuries that's a huge red flag as well.
    Holcombe has way more command than walling. I talked to a Phillies cross checker and they have him pretty high on their draft board and think his mechanics are pretty solid. He may need some tweaking but it's not much. He's pretty close right now.