Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Somebody talk to me

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    A little dated, but there have been bear sightings outside of Starkville. https://www.mdwfp.com/wildlife-hunti...bum/bear-maps/

I also would not be surprised by it being that close to town. I doubt they are getting crowded into town like they are in other places (by other bears and by development by humans), but it's pretty amazing how little cover they and wild animals in general need stay relatively hidden.
    Prior to around 2006 or so, (my dates won't be exact), there were no documented cases of any resident female bears in the entire state of Mississippi. All a bunch of traveling males which will travel miles and miles. Around that time, some females came across the river and loved it here so much, they decided to stay. Now we have a population that is growing at a really good rate. Multiple cubs seen each year now.

vCash
    Just remember what bears can do!!

https://youtu.be/AgdsZJTf9dw

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    Prior to around 2006 or so, (my dates won't be exact), there were no documented cases of any resident female bears in the entire state of Mississippi. All a bunch of traveling males which will travel miles and miles. Around that time, some females came across the river and loved it here so much, they decided to stay. Now we have a population that is growing at a really good rate. Multiple cubs seen each year now.
    Fascinating and AWESOME! Pardon the dumb question though but these bears cross The MS? And have the female's later arrival caused any problems being outnumbered by males? I've watched wildlife for decades on TV and I'd advise any professional to consider doing a show on this as I think many would enjoy especially considering it's a really cool Recent Event with Baby Bears to boot. They'd just hafta guarantee in writing no college mascot discussion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Just remember what bears can do!!

https://youtu.be/AgdsZJTf9dw
    I had to bean one with a rock in his head last year to finally get him to leave our camp .... he wouldn't leave until we threw the last fried trout and remaining hushpuppies into the camp fire and hit him with that rock
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    I live on the Biloxi Peninsula and have seem bobcats coyotes and foxes most of my life but never deer. During Katrina some deer were apparently relocated to our area by the flooding, 28 FT in Biloxi Back Bay. About a year after the storm we started noticing one or two deer feeding. Now we have 2 herds and have counted over ten in one area and DMR has now been culling the herds.

Banned
    vCash
    I live on the Biloxi Peninsula and have seem bobcats coyotes and foxes most of my life but never deer. During Katrina some deer were apparently relocated to our area by the flooding, 28 FT in Biloxi Back Bay. About a year after the storm we started noticing one or two deer feeding. Now we have 2 herds and have counted over ten in one area and DMR has now been culling the herds.
    So prior you had bobcats, coyotes & foxes living off rabbits, squirrels & underground varmits obviously. If you ever wanna see something bad ASS, check out bobcats taking down deer. Gonna get interesting now on that peninsula. Eventually I'm gonna convert my back yard to an outdoor bobcat enclosure and giving he or she also access to the inside with total free roam like a house cat. And no, I'd NEVER declaw an animal. I'll send pics once the project gets going.
    Last edited by OLJWales; 06-06-2022 at 01:27 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OLJWales View Post
    So prior you had bobcats, coyotes & foxes living off rabbits, squirrels & underground varmits obviously. If you ever wanna see something bad ASS, check out bobcats taking down deer. Gonna get interesting now on that peninsula. Eventually I'm gonna convert my back yard to an outdoor bobcat enclosure so he or she has access to inside with total free roam like a house cat. And no, I'd NEVER declaw an animal. I'll send pics once the project gets going.
    Bad Ass = Greyhounds catching coyotes ... check it out on Google
    https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...8&action=click
    Last edited by FISHDAWG; 06-06-2022 at 02:09 PM.
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Sasquatch is a real possibility

Definitely not a bear

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    Bad Ass = Greyhounds catching coyotes ... check it out on Google
    Holy shit I've never heard about that ! Ever seen those HUGE Trained Tibetan Eagles take down and kill a wolf?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    I had to bean one with a rock in his head last year to finally get him to leave our camp .... he wouldn't leave until we threw the last fried trout and remaining hushpuppies into the camp fire and hit him with that rock
    Couple of years ago I was trout fishing outside of Ellijay. One came off the mountain, knocked on the cabin door, then cleaned out the trash that was full of trout guts by out outside cleaning sink. Bout as close to one as I want to be!
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Couple of years ago I was trout fishing outside of Ellijay. One came off the mountain, knocked on the cabin door, then cleaned out the trash that was full of trout guts by out outside cleaning sink. Bout as close to one as I want to be!
    3 rules in camping. 1. Don't Eat in your sleeping areas. 2. Don't clean your catch near your living areas and most importantly don't Crap near your living areas.

vCash
    There was a documented bear sighting in NE Miss a couple of years ago. Traveling male.

vCash
    Crack whore squatting to pee and her meat curtains hit the ground.

vCash
    3 rules in camping. 1. Don't Eat in your sleeping areas. 2. Don't clean your catch near your living areas and most importantly don't Crap near your living areas.
    Kind of hard not to do that in a cabin LOL. Fish cleaning station was down on the lake.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OLJWales View Post
    Fascinating and AWESOME! Pardon the dumb question though but these bears cross The MS? And have the female's later arrival caused any problems being outnumbered by males? I've watched wildlife for decades on TV and I'd advise any professional to consider doing a show on this as I think many would enjoy especially considering it's a really cool Recent Event with Baby Bears to boot. They'd just hafta guarantee in writing no college mascot discussion.
    Yes. Most of our bear population has swam across the Mississippi from Arkansas and Louisiana. We have a mix of the Louisiana black bear as well as the Northern black bear. Females are having cubs every year so that's why we're jumping in population so much. I can't answer about the lack of females being a problem. I just know the males are traveling sometimes hundreds of miles searching for females and running from other dominant males.

vCash
    We have one on trail cam on our lease in Lawrence county. This was 2 year's ago and only 1 pic.

vCash
    Well, whatever it is, give it room, because it is a big swinging d””k

vCash
    Actually there were 50 black bears documented in Mississippi in 2002 5 of those were females. I don't remember the year the female bear and her cub traveled from Bolivar county across the delta through Oktibbeha county and was hit by a car right near downtown Columbus Ms but you can look it up it was several years ago.

https://www.mdwfp.com/wildlife-hunti...bum/bear-maps/

Last edited by 99jc; 06-06-2022 at 05:58 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
    Actually there were 50 black bears documented in Mississippi in 2002 5 of those were females. I don't remember the year the female bear and her cub traveled from Bolivar county across the delta through Oktibbeha county and was hit by a car right near downtown Columbus Ms but you can look it up it was several years ago.

https://www.mdwfp.com/wildlife-hunti...bum/bear-maps/

I knew my dates were off but the females you are referring to never settled down in Mississippi. I graduated from State in wildlife management and I had a buddy in the black bear research program. I kept up with it for years because I love bears. Once that momma bear saw fit to raise cubs here, that was a game changer.

vCash
    I knew my dates were off but the females you are referring to never settled down in Mississippi. I graduated from State in wildlife management and I had a buddy in the black bear research program. I kept up with it for years because I love bears. Once that momma bear saw fit to raise cubs here, that was a game changer.
    What year you graduate? I was December of 98.