Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tennessee Catcher tested hot for PEDs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    So Bianco is great.... until he's not...
    I think he's a good coach, who was really good. Was Polk bad, good, or great?

vCash
    Polk was better than Bianco who is a good coach. Great is for Coaches like Saban, it's about championships for elites.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Polk was better than Bianco who is a good coach. Great is for Coaches like Saban, it's about championships for elites.
    This. Only way to judge greatness is championships. If you don't win em you're good not great. That's how success is measured. Lot of good coaches out there who just don't have that little extra to be great.

vCash
    Polk went to Omaha 8 times I believe. With 3 different programs. That puts him in a different class than bianco, who is good too.

vCash
    Polk was The Goat as far as program building- he showed everybody else how to do it. All the things that had to be included besides in-game coaching
    He recruited well but so many times his teams lacked in an area that never would allow him to win a title
    Very good coach but the lack of a title hurts him tremendously. He's Marv Levy
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    This. Only way to judge greatness is championships. If you don't win em you're good not great. That's how success is measured. Lot of good coaches out there who just don't have that little extra to be great.
    So Gary Gilmore (coastal Carolina) is a better coach than Polk? Not sure I buy that

vCash
    When has the NCAA only tested 1 player? Something isnt right about this story

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Polk was The Goat as far as program building- he showed everybody else how to do it. All the things that had to be included besides in-game coaching
    He recruited well but so many times his teams lacked in an area that never would allow him to win a title
    I agree! Well thought out post. Like ur take "Goat" on building a program.

vCash
    Marc levy is football, and I'd say the best football wins it all much more often than the best baseball team.

vCash
    When has the NCAA only tested 1 player? Something isnt right about this story
    They don't. It's several that get randomly tested at regionals and supers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    They don't. It's several that get randomly tested at regionals and supers.
    Could've been just 1 Tenn player though, right?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentSteel16 View Post
    Almost sounds like Hugh Freeze and Ole Miss ???.

You nailed it. They def have that DB, cheating, cocky vibe.

I knew they were juicing. It's so obvious.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    So Gary Gilmore (coastal Carolina) is a better coach than Polk? Not sure I buy that
    I said championships(plural). You can win one and still be a good but not great coach. You win more than one you could enter that great category. Success is measured by championships that's just the way it is. There's obviously other things that would make one a good coach, program building, recruiting, etc but to be judged elite you have to win the big one.

vCash
    He was more successful than Polk....He was not as good over his career

The title matters but you also have to look at other things. Dan Marino never won a title but is probably the best passer in NFL history. Trent Dilfer won a title.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I said championships(plural). You can win one and still be a good but not great coach. You win more than one you could enter that great category. Success is measured by championships that's just the way it is. There's obviously other things that would make one a good coach, program building, recruiting, etc but to be judged elite you have to win the big one.
    So where you rate Bobby cox with just 1?

vCash
    Could've been just 1 Tenn player though, right?
    No- they test multiple players on each team

vCash
    I'm all Braves, but Bobby was arguably the best "in season" manager of all time, and arguably the worst "post season" manager of all time.

vCash
    No- they test multiple players on each team
    Then that sorta throws out the rampant juicing allegation

vCash
    I rate him as shitty winning 1 with a Hall of Fame pitching staff. Bobby Cox rates somewhere around Art Howe as a manager. At least Art Howe could hit

vCash
    I love Bobby and he's a Hall of Famer and it hurts me he didn't win more titles but he'll go down in history as a manager who should've won more titles but didn't close the deal. He got out managed in some of them. Just the way it is. To be the MAN you have to win when it counts. That's my opinion and if yours is different that's fine but I judge players and coaches on winning championships but that's just me.