Page 32 of 44 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 MSU FOOTBALL RECRUITING Discussion Thread

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DEDawg View Post
    No. I think we should be able to consistently sign 1 to 2 of the top 3 in state players.
    Ok so as long as we agree on that, then we can give our staff a pass in years where they want someone.

Like let's say last year. 2 of the top 3 went to Bama and Georgia. The third one is now currently on our roster. So in 2022 our staff did exactly what you asked them to do. We got 1 of the Top 3.

In 2021, Bama got one, LSU got one, and Oregon got the other. LSU in our area holds close to as much weight as Bama so I would say that's going to happen and there's not much we can do about it. Oregon has similar pull from the money side.

In 2020 we got 1 of the Top 3 so mission accomplished.

In 2019 one went to Georgia, we got Charles Cross, and Ole Miss got Ealy. So mission accomplished there.

In 2018 we got 2 of the Top 3.

So are we really not doing what we are capable of? We aren't going to win many battles against the machines of college football. Bama, Georgia, LSU, Ohio State, Clemson, Oregon to some degree, and other money powerhouses like TAMU, Texas, and Oklahoma that just have a crap ton more money than we do.

So it sounds like we've done a pretty good job by the standards you laid out except for this year, where the kid we did get at #4 was like .45 composite points behind #3.
    Last edited by MetEdDawg; 12-22-2022 at 01:40 PM.

vCash
    Composite rankings. Some on here are too short sighted to aggregate this back to 2018 and see it is a valid concern. Like my original post said, go back and look at the past 4 years. Then go look at 2009-2018. Hell put it in a data visualization tool if you want, maybe a picture will get my point across.

Isaac Smith is an incredible get and a great job by the staff and possibly was the #1 in state ranked player by the coaches (even tho I do not buy that). We have not recruited the top 3 in state players well the past 4 years and got 0 of them this year, 0 of them last year, and 0 of them in 2021.

Both statements are true.
    Go back and find that T&L podcast where they went through the top 10 rated players from like the past decade. Our coaches were much better at finding talent than the composite rankings and it wasn't even close.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    Ok so as long as we agree on that, then we can give our staff a pass in years where they want someone.

Like let's say last year. 2 of the top 3 went to Bama and Georgia. The third one is now currently on our roster. So in 2022 our staff did exactly what you asked them to do. We got 1 of the Top 3.

In 2021, Bama got one, LSU got one, and Oregon got the other. LSU in our area holds close to as much weight as Bama so I would say that's going to happen and there's not much we can do about it. Oregon has similar pull from the money side.

In 2020 we got 1 of the Top 3 so mission accomplished.

In 2019 one went to Georgia, we got Charles Cross, and Ole Miss got Ealy. So mission accomplished there.

In 2018 we got 2 of the Top 3.

So are we really not doing what we are capable of? We aren't going to win many battles against the machines of college football. Bama, Georgia, LSU, Ohio State, Clemson, Oregon to some degree, and other money powerhouses like TAMU, Texas, and Oklahoma that just have a crap ton more money than we do.

So it sounds like we've done a pretty good job by the standards you laid out except for this year, where the kid we did get at #4 was like .45 composite points behind #3.
    Then I think we completely agree with each other. 2020 we got one who will be an NFL player and was a huge impact player for us. 2019 we got one who was a first round draft pick and a huge impact player for us. 2018 we got two, one couldn't get his head on straight and is still an SEC starter, the other is a solid SEC starter. That is a GREAT hit rate.

Yes it sucks but we have to figure out how to start doing that consistently and add on to the great job we are doing evaluating lesser ranked players. We got lucky this year with Rogers, let's start winning those battles out of HS.

Our 500th Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCoachKlein View Post
    Go back and find that T&L podcast where they went through the top 10 rated players from like the past decade. Our coaches were much better at finding talent than the composite rankings and it wasn't even close.
    And I have a feeling this current staff will be just as good at finding talent that fits what they want to do.

vCash
    Then excellent job. Go get 1/2 of the top 3 ranked in state players as well. I really do not know how I can make this any clearer.
    How do you get 1/2 of Top 3 players? Solomon is not on our staff!******* Great job done by our staff closing this year. Hail State!

vCash
    No. I think we should be able to consistently sign 1 to 2 of the top 3 in state players.
    We did
    Isaac Smith is prob the 2nd best college prospect in the state if not the best

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    We did
    I think Perkins is far and away #1. I agree that Smith is second best, though.

vCash
    Who are our portal targets?

Where are we with that WR from Old Dominion or maybe it was James Madison.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    We did
    1. Perkins...(huge gap).... 2. Smith....(big gap).... 3. Pick one.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

Our 500th Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    1. Perkins...(huge gap).... 2. Smith....(big gap).... 3. Pick one.
    People who believe this will eat these words in 3 years. 1. Smith 2. Perkins 3. Pick one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    Who are our portal targets?

Where are we with that WR from Old Dominion or maybe it was James Madison.
    Heard SR say we were after Gunner Britton OT from Western Kentucky.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeyDawg View Post
    Heard SR say we were after Gunner Britton OT from Western Kentucky.
    And it sounds like he's coming if Mason Miller stays
    "We will have no problem in handling Kentucky."-Turfdawg67. MSU suffered a 27-17 defeat in 2022 with 225 yards in total offense.

was living way out West, but now back in the blessed state of Mississippi
    vCash
    WKU sure had a fun offense to watch the other day in their bowl game

vCash
    Is anyone hearing rumblings that we may be getting into the QB transfer game?

I have heard from two different people that give way more money than me that we are snooping around.

vCash
    Is anyone hearing rumblings that we may be getting into the QB transfer game?

I have heard from two different people that give way more money than me that we are snooping around.
    😎

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    ��
    Ok - that is what I thought as well.

vCash
    Ok - that is what I thought as well.
    Yeah I've heard we're kicking the tires on a couple that were pretty highly rated out of high school. Not sure if we'll get any but I know we've been as you said snooping around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Yeah I've heard we're kicking the tires on a couple that were pretty highly rated out of high school. Not sure if we'll get any but I know we've been as you said snooping around.
    names?

Banned
    vCash
    names?
    Names I've heard from, frankly, not the most reliable source, so take it with a grain of salt. (same guy who swore we were on WR chambers from FIU both last year and this year. less so this year.)

Jay Butterfield
    Luke Altmeyer
    Brady Allen (though he's likely going Louisville)
    Common Cooper (this the one that Leach was likely going to bring in a la Jack Abraham)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Names I've heard from, frankly, not the most reliable source, so take it with a grain of salt. (same guy who swore we were on WR chambers from FIU both last year and this year. less so this year.)

Jay Butterfield
    Luke Altmeyer
    Brady Allen (though he's likely going Louisville)
    Common Cooper (this the one that Leach was likely going to bring in a la Jack Abraham)
    Here's a name i've heard from several different people, but I'm not sure how realistic it is at this point but I know there's been some interest and that's Ty Simpson.
    Last edited by Commercecomet24; 12-27-2022 at 03:24 PM.