Page 24 of 44 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 MSU FOOTBALL RECRUITING Discussion Thread

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msu15 View Post
    I will be absolutely stunned if that kid ends up in Maroon.
    His recruitment has been all over the place. UM was the clear fav for a long time. Vandy was in the pic and then we made huge inroads with him, problem is so has LSU. Not sure what their db board looks like but this one will likely come down to NIL. I don't like our chances against LSU if that holds true.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    You can blame our previous recruiting numb nut for screwing up Dowdell's recruitment. The kid probably would've jump on our offer had we not 17d it up. He's a State fan.
    Since you seem to have some insight, in general, do RBs want to come here and play in this system? Two years ago when they were getting blown up immediately after the catch, I'd have said absolutely not. However, Marks and DJ seem to have come into their own and aren't crash test dummies anymore now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RisperDawg View Post
    Since you seem to have some insight, in general, do RBs want to come here and play in this system? Two years ago when they were getting blown up immediately after the catch, I'd have said absolutely not. However, Marks and DJ seem to have come into their own and aren't crash test dummies anymore now.
    The problem is that I struggle to see how we get a RB drafted. I think DJ and Marks are really good backs and would be featured backs at several P5 schools. The problem for us is that they simply don't get the opportunity here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    The problem is that I struggle to see how we get a RB drafted. I think DJ and Marks are really good backs and would be featured backs at several P5 schools. The problem for us is that they simply don't get the opportunity here.
    You could make the argument they develop NFL skills better here (pass pro and receiving ability).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCoachKlein View Post
    You could make the argument they develop NFL skills better here (pass pro and receiving ability).
    This. Outside of a Derrick Henry there really aren't "feature backs" in the nfl anymore. They have to pass protect and catch the ball now, those are the most important things now, and DJ and Marks both do that well, on top of displaying the running skills they have.

vCash
    The problem with that is that look who the NFL is drafting.

Breece Hall
    Kenneth Walker
    Zamir White
    Isaiah Spiller
    Brian Robinson
    Tyrion Davis-Price
    Kevin Harris
    James Cook

I could go on - but you get the point. These guys ran the ball. DJ and Marks averaged less than 10 carries a game. Its good for tread on the tire, but teams are going to want to know if the guy they are drafting can carry it 200 times in a season, unless you are a speed freak then they don't care.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    LSU is making things interesting, but I definitely wouldn't be "stunned", it's more like 50/50. I would have been shocked last year at this time with him being an OM legacy and all. But where we are today, I wouldn't trade places with anyone.
    Revised prediction 60/40, State.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    The problem with that is that look who the NFL is drafting.

Breece Hall
    Kenneth Walker
    Zamir White
    Isaiah Spiller
    Brian Robinson
    Tyrion Davis-Price
    Kevin Harris
    James Cook

I could go on - but you get the point. These guys ran the ball. DJ and Marks averaged less than 10 carries a game. Its good for tread on the tire, but teams are going to want to know if the guy they are drafting can carry it 200 times in a season, unless you are a speed freak then they don't care.
    Breece and Walker do both very well. Cook is used more as a receiving back.

Most teams without a Barkley or Jacobs or Henry have a 1-2 punch with a between the tackles runner and a passing back. I don't think it hurts us, but it does make us more attractive to the latter type.

vCash
    Breece and Walker do both very well. Cook is used more as a receiving back.

Most teams without a Barkley or Jacobs or Henry have a 1-2 punch with a between the tackles runner and a passing back. I don't think it hurts us, but it does make us more attractive to the latter type.
    Sure - but my point is that NFL teams draft the guys who carry the ball a ton in college.

vCash
    Sure - but my point is that NFL teams draft the guys who carry the ball a ton in college.
    Carries per year
    Marks 93
    Johnson 76.3
    James Cook 57.5

Yes I cherry picked the receiving back from your list. Point is, if they test above the athletic threshold, they will be drafted if not they'll probably still get a chance on a practice squad. They have plenty of carries on tape, and lots of teams have drafted backs that only ran out of shotgun in college.

vCash
    We don't have NFL RB talent here. Maybe they make a practice squad. We aren't recruiting SEC RBs much. We go get smallish quick guys that fit the scheme. We have to hope for a guy like a Darrin Sproles. The big guys we get are generally just slower between the tackle guys. We could've pulled Dowdell. We 17 d that up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    We don't have NFL RB talent here. Maybe they make a practice squad. We aren't recruiting SEC RBs much. We go get smallish quick guys that fit the scheme. We have to hope for a guy like a Darrin Sproles. The big guys we get are generally just slower between the tackle guys. We could've pulled Dowdell. We 17 d that up.
    As long as he goes to Oregon and not the bears, I don?t care.

Kid is a difference maker.

vCash
    Gabriel Moore commits

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Gabriel Moore commits
    Information?

Don?t know who that is.

vCash
    Information?

Don?t know who that is.
    6'4", 250 DL from Louisville, MS., .8600. Moves us up to #31 and JC RB still not ranked. Go to genespage, clink on FB REC at top, then Team Rankings, Commits, Targets, whatever you are interested in. Is Free. Hail State!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Gabriel Moore commits
    He related to Charles?
    "We will have no problem in handling Kentucky."-Turfdawg67. MSU suffered a 27-17 defeat in 2022 with 225 yards in total offense.

vCash
    His brother.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Travelingdawg View Post
    His brother.
    Wow good to see there weren't any burnt bridges there(I know it wasn't our fault)
    "We will have no problem in handling Kentucky."-Turfdawg67. MSU suffered a 27-17 defeat in 2022 with 225 yards in total offense.

Senior Member William Tecumsah Sherman's Avatar
    vCash
    By all accounts, Gabriel is quite different from his brother. Also, I think his ranking is a little low. He hasn?t gone to any camps.

vCash
    I could see Johnson getting drafted late or making a practice squad because of his size and ability to break tackles in space. Marks probably not