Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Here is what needs to bother you about Baseball recruiting

vCash
    We haven't recruited coast to coast and we've been getting too many mama's boys.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho View Post
    Is Nate Chester the next 2baseman? looks to have good size and some pop in the stick
    Maybe, but I'm always hesitant with Juco hitters. Yeah, he might be a Nate Lowe or Jack Kruger, but he also might be a Gunner Halter or Tanner Poole. You just never know.

vCash
    We have MSU Alumni in place at EBC and East Coast Sox. We have also got several from Dulins Dodgers since Bianco pissed them off.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Poor take here. We would?ve won a ton on Friday night with Sims and him being 0-2 is absurdly irrelevant.
    SEC Fridays:

Shutout by Georgia
    Beat Bama 7-6
    Scored 1 vs UPig
    Scored 2 vs LSU
    Beat Auburn 7-6
    Scored 2 vs Mississippi
    Beat Mizzou 13-4
    Lost 8-6 to Fla
    Lost 8-7 to A&M
    Scored 2 vs Tenn

Sims only real impact on Fridays would have likely been in the Florida and A&M games. We might have been able to scratch out one of the others in very low scoring game but you never know. He would have more than likely lost at least 4 Fridays and probably 5. We were 3-7 on Fridays- with him 6-4 is best case with 5-5 more likely.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Multiple things are true here.

- Losing Sims obviously hurt terribly.

- The lack of decent depth behind him is a massive failure by the staff.
    This is definitely true
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    We haven't recruited coast to coast and we've been getting too many mama's boys.
    The staff agrees with you on the last part. There is a big emphasis being placed on recruiting toughness right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    SEC Fridays:

Shutout by Georgia
    Beat Bama 7-6
    Scored 1 vs UPig
    Scored 2 vs LSU
    Beat Auburn 7-6
    Scored 2 vs Mississippi
    Beat Mizzou 13-4
    Lost 8-6 to Fla
    Lost 8-7 to A&M
    Scored 2 vs Tenn

Sims only real impact on Fridays would have likely been in the Florida and A&M games. We might have been able to scratch out one of the others in very low scoring game but you never know. He would have more than likely lost at least 4 Fridays and probably 5. We were 3-7 on Fridays- with him 6-4 is best case with 5-5 more likely.
    Even if that played out like that it would have helped us win other games because Brandon Smith would have been our midweek guy/swing guy in the bullpen making us deeper meaning less high leverage situations for guys like Fristoe and Tepper. And that doesn't even take into account Stone Simmons and for the last half of the year- Auger. It's a domino effect. Especially considering we had a ton of 1-2 run losses. I'm guessing we would have at least 5-7 more wins with even half of the injuries we had.

vCash
    This season’s chances was going to live and die with Landon Sims from the start.

On even making a regional. We just don’t he the sticks to make up for that even if he wins half his starts in league play.

vCash
    A&M got transfers from all over and won the West. Thats coaching from a guy we wouldnt commit to. He has shown his recruiting prowess immediately- unlike our coach.
    It's just really frustrating to see our staff waste a Natty like this one has. It's mind-blowing[/QUOTE]

His interview was a disaster....he was concerned about the country club and shopping for his wife and Cohen felt he wasn't a fit culturally...it ended pretty quickly

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Schultzy View Post
    This season’s chances was going to live and die with Landon Sims from the start.

On even making a regional. We just don’t he the sticks to make up for that even if he wins half his starts in league play.
    I think we make a regional if Simmons stays healthy and we have either Hunt or Auger healthy all year even with Sims being injured. Our starting pitching wasn't nearly as bad as the relief pitching. And I know their ERA's aren't pretty but they were constantly left in too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezsoil View Post
    A&M got transfers from all over and won the West. Thats coaching from a guy we wouldnt commit to. He has shown his recruiting prowess immediately- unlike our coach.
    It's just really frustrating to see our staff waste a Natty like this one has. It's mind-blowing
    His interview was a disaster....he was concerned about the country club and shopping for his wife and Cohen felt he wasn't a fit culturally...it ended pretty quickly[/QUOTE]

That's not what happened with Schlossnagle. TCU pressed him to make a decision while our season was still going on and then Schlossnagle tried to force Cohen to make an announcement while we were still playing in Omaha because of that and it rubbed Cohen the wrong way. Cohen made the right decision there- 100%. Announcing Schlossnagle would have been very unfair to our team and Gary Henderson.

Let's not forget that Lemonis has a National Title and Schlossnagle doesn't- despite more appearances in Omaha. I'll take Lemonis with a different pitching coach over Schlossnagle any day. We're going to get to see what Lemonis can do with transfers next year. And I think we'll be happy with his recruiting once the 2023 class starts the season in 2024.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I think we make a regional if Simmons stays healthy and we have either Hunt or Auger healthy all year even with Sims being injured. Our starting pitching wasn't nearly as bad as the relief pitching. And I know their ERA's aren't pretty but they were constantly left in too long.

His interview was a disaster....he was concerned about the country club and shopping for his wife and Cohen felt he wasn't a fit culturally...it ended pretty quickly
    That's not what happened with Schlossnagle. TCU pressed him to make a decision while our season was still going on and then Schlossnagle tried to force Cohen to make an announcement while we were still playing in Omaha because of that and it rubbed Cohen the wrong way. Cohen made the right decision there- 100%. Announcing Schlossnagle would have been very unfair to our team and Gary Henderson.

Let's not forget that Lemonis has a National Title and Schlossnagle doesn't- despite more appearances in Omaha. I'll take Lemonis with a different pitching coach over Schlossnagle any day. We're going to get to see what Lemonis can do with transfers next year. And I think we'll be happy with his recruiting once the 2023 class starts the season in 2024.[/QUOTE]

Everyone has complained about our recruiting footprint but those classes have players from coast to coast. We have multiple commits from CA in the next few classes. Has that ever happened? Highly rated commits from TX and FL, so we are dipping into the hotbed states where players have the option of staying home and playing for good baseball schools, but we have pulled them. We just need to limp along and keep our heads above water for the next couple years until we can start rolling those type players in.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post

Let's not forget that Lemonis has a National Title and Schlossnagle doesn't- despite more appearances in Omaha. I'll take Lemonis with a different pitching coach over Schlossnagle any day. We're going to get to see what Lemonis can do with transfers next year. And I think we'll be happy with his recruiting once the 2023 class starts the season in 2024.

Everyone has complained about our recruiting footprint but those classes have players from coast to coast. We have multiple commits from CA in the next few classes. Has that ever happened? Highly rated commits from TX and FL, so we are dipping into the hotbed states where players have the option of staying home and playing for good baseball schools, but we have pulled them. We just need to limp along and keep our heads above water for the next couple years until we can start rolling those type players in.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Our recruiting footprint isn't bad. Mississippi produces a lot of MLB players per capita- we're top five as a state in fact. The problem is our population isn't large enough to support a National Championship caliber team with Mississippians alone so we do have to go to the hot bed states to supplement our team.

Our strategy should be to get the best in Mississippi and then supplement from there. Louisiana is also top five or six as well. And Memphis and Alabama are close enough to give us some players too. And also get what we can from the hot bed states.

We need to get away from JUCO's though. That has eaten up too many spots for us recently- especially with pitching.

vCash
    We've "Don't fit Mississippi State" ourselves out of a lot of coaches. Just my generalized comment for the day.
    I'm not worried about any coach on staff but Foxhall. Cheese needs to be better with the runners but that falls on the kids too. We'll be fine if we tweak some things and pull a good load of transfers. We've already cut a few recruits that weren't making the cut and I expect more from the lower classes too. I'll bitch a little but my level of concern is pretty damn low overall.
    Last edited by Cooterpoot; 05-30-2022 at 09:16 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    We've "Don't fit Mississippi State" ourselves out of a lot of coaches. Just my generalized comment for the day.
    I'm not worried about any coach on staff but Foxhall. Cheese needs to be better with the runners but that falls on the kids too. We'll be fine if we tweak some things and pull a good load of transfers. We've already cut a few recruits that weren't making the cut and I expect more from the lower classes too. I'll bitch a little but my level of concern is pretty damn low overall.
    I agree. Foxhall is my only concern. I think our staff fits Mississippi State. But I do think we need to adjust our recruiting slightly. I'm curious to see what direction Lemonis goes from here with it. Him "wanting more toughness" is a positive step in the right direction.

Banned
    vCash
    I may be wrong but the Natty may have made our staff too thankful to our returning players and didn't put enough heat on them with some tough portal players. Every year we must put pressure on our players so they knew they will be replaced if we get someone better. Tough competition for playing time breeds excellence.
    Last edited by OLJWales; 05-30-2022 at 10:06 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OLJWales View Post
    I may be wrong but the Natty may have made our staff too thankful to our returning players and didn't put enough heat on them with some tough portal players. Every year we must put pressure on our players so they knew they will be replaced if we get someone better. Tough competition for playing time breeds excellence.
    I definitely think that happened with us some.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OLJWales View Post
    We had way too many players on the roster who were not SEC players.

vCash
    This year will tell us what the program will be for the next few years. If this humiliating season doesn't put a fire in the coaches A$$ to recruit better talent, he will never recruit elite talent. Regardless of what happens, This could be a wake up call for the entire team. I expect Lemonis to come out swinging on a lot of recruits and transfers. I was hoping we would clean house on assistant coaches, but I guess Lemonis has a little faith in them still. One more season like we had this year, and Cohen will clean house on all of them.

vCash
    State has everything going for them and I mean everything. NIL Money, tradition, history, Natty and the best damn baseball stadium in college baseball with the most energetic and loyal fans. No excuse for not making conference Tournament. No excuse for not making the NCAA tournament. He should have been fired natty or not. They just flat gave up the last three weeks.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    We had way too many players on the roster who were not SEC players.
    Which is simply not excusable for STATE. Been a whole lotta retard, laziness & piss poor mgmt goin' on round here. Natty then Major Buzz Kill pisses me off, confuses and flat out breaks my STATE heart. 17 the HELL outta this BS. Your on your own now Lemonis. These boys are of yo own pickin'. You got some work to do fella.