Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 6 players have already entered the portal (baseball)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Re: Forsythe

People made up their mind on this kid failing and are unwilling to change their thoughts in light of evidence to the contrary. Same way the people who were seriously calling for Lemo & co's head at this point in time last year are now again yelling for changes because they're right and Lemo sucks in some way. They made their decision and are unwilling to change. They'll explain it away (not Lemo's recruits, Lane had limited AB's, etc. etc.)

Truth of the matter is Forsythe is showing improvement. He hasn't been an "SEC quality bat" but he needed some meat on his bones. A little better spray placement and plate discipiline though and he's a serviceable end of lineup bat with the defense to justify him being an everyday starter. Who would have thought it would just sometimes take a young kid to grow into it.
    Absolutely!! People also forget dude is a true sophomore who was thrown into the lineup last year cause Kam James sucked ass. He should have redshirted last year but I thought he did really well this year especially since he was being jockeyed around like he was between him and Leggett.

I also hate the jockeying Lemonis did in CF. Look at Yeager. It took him a little while to get settled in. Davis really didn’t have that chance. It was too much movement in the field. I also never understood the batting order. Hancock should not have been the 2 man. He rolled over and popped our way too much. LoTann regressed at the plate, yet wanted to pimp everything he hit.

Like I stated, everyone was perfectly fine with Forsythe hitting .250 and then when he hits .270, everyone wants to bitch and complain cause he isn’t hitting dingers or isn’t big enough or yada yada yada… shut the **** up with that he isn’t big enough to hit dingers or is nothing but a spray hitter… who gives a shit as long as the kid hits.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Because he is a singles hitter that average climbed because he had limited AB's. He is really good defensively there is no disputing that- but at 165 pounds he will remain a singles hitter that hits about .250. If you can replace him with a quality player you do it- Foreskin is a late inning replacement- not an SEC SS

Leggs had a lower average but had a bigger impact offensively on limited AB's.
    We could have used a few more singles hitters this year. This is a terrible take.

vCash
    Since when does a SS need to hit for power? You have corner infielder and outfielders for that. The guys in the middle need to play defense and get on base- pop is always welcome, but you need OBP and defense far more. If Forsythe can up his pitch recognition a bit he'll be able to work the count and draw walks and dramatically increase his OBP.

An elite defender with a decent OBP is a SS that starts at most SEC schools. If you can upgrade you do it, but he's not even "a" problem, much less "the" problem, going into next year

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Re: Forsythe

People made up their mind on this kid failing and are unwilling to change their thoughts in light of evidence to the contrary. Same way the people who were seriously calling for Lemo & co's head at this point in time last year are now again yelling for changes because they're right and Lemo sucks in some way. They made their decision and are unwilling to change. They'll explain it away (not Lemo's recruits, Lane had limited AB's, etc. etc.)

Truth of the matter is Forsythe is showing improvement. He hasn't been an "SEC quality bat" but he needed some meat on his bones. A little better spray placement and plate discipiline though and he's a serviceable end of lineup bat with the defense to justify him being an everyday starter. Who would have thought it would just sometimes take a young kid to grow into it.
    This. Our problem is not that our SS is a mediocre hitter with no power. It's great to have a SS that is also an asset on offense, and if we get one to transfer in, great, but that's somewhat of a luxury. Our problem is that we were missing one or two studs at the plate. Yeager, James, Cumbest, Hines, and Hancock were all perfectly fine at the plate. Tanner was slightly disappointing, but he's also a plus catcher. If Kellum Clark's stats matched how pretty his swing is, and then you have a centerfielder that can hit leadoff, and our offense goes from solid to very good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    We could have used a few more singles hitters this year. This is a terrible take.
    Too funny. We were 4th in the SEC in runs scored. We were fine offensively other than having some people on the bottom to drive in runs.

We were last in the SEC in Runs allowed.
    We were last in the SEC in hits allowed
    We were 13th in the SEC in walks allowed
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Too funny. We were 4th in the SEC in runs scored. We were fine offensively other than having some people on the bottom to drive in runs.

The fact that we were always behind and needing runs has really warped some peoples understanding of the offense this year.

Great example - we lost 12 games by 2 runs or less. In 8 of those we scored 5 or more runs. That's a whole lot of production wasted by bad pitching.
    Last edited by BrunswickDawg; 05-24-2022 at 09:48 AM.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    It's simple on Foreskin or any position- if you can upgrade? You do it. Thats the bottom line.

We brought in Yeagerbomb this past year. Foreskin was a little better defender so we moved him to 2nd. Nobody else stepped up. Leggs had his moments but wasnt consistent enough at SS with the glove or bat. Meche needs to go to a lower level. Downs wasnt ready yet. Look around and see whats out there

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    I get what you are saying. But I also see the need for some continuity rather than 8 new guys in the line up.

New Leadoff (LF or 2B)
    New 2 hole (LF/2B/DH)
    Hines 1B
    Hancock C
    Clark RF
    James CF
    New (LF/2B/DH)
    Alford 3B
    Forsythe SS

The middle of the line up would need to be flexible to keep 3,4, and 5 from all batting LH.
    I'm not concerned with the returning guys. They're fine and will be better. Clark had his soph struggles (not uncommon).
    Hines needs to cut down Ks a little.
    Doubt Hancock comes back but we'll see.

It's all about who we bring in, especially pitching side. I trust Exlax before Taco Bell more than I trust Foxhall.

vCash
    It's simple on Foreskin or any position- if you can upgrade? You do it. Thats the bottom line.

We brought in Yeagerbomb this past year. Foreskin was a little better defender so we moved him to 2nd. Nobody else stepped up. Leggs had his moments but wasnt consistent enough at SS with the glove or bat. Meche needs to go to a lower level. Downs wasnt ready yet. Look around and see whats out there
    Why in the freak to you continue to call these guys names. Really? Are 7 years old or something. Use his damn name.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    I agree w the Forsythe part. I know people wil disagree and that's fine. But he wasn't our problem.
    Not at all. I mean sure I will take a first round type talent at SS of course. But play elite defense and hit .280 at SS and that will work.

Lane
    Hines
    Hancock
    Clark
    Alford
    Downs

That's a start. We need arms more than anything.

vCash
    There is real truth here. If you can upgrade you do it. Kelly Bryant led Clemson to a football ACC championship and a spot in the playoffs. The next year, Dabo replaced him with a freshman named Trevor Lawrence. This was not an indictment of Bryant, but rather Trevor Lawrence was simply an upgrade.

I like Forsythe a lot. But if a new shortstop rolls onto campus that defends like Forsythe but hits like Brent Rooker, then you have to play him. This isn't T-ball where everyone gets to play to make mama happy.

Having said that, when I have a list of biggest current needs in the portal, shortstop certainly isn't at the top of the list.

vCash
    Rumor this morning is we are losing 20 or so guys off the roster. Supposedly 53% of the roster or something to that affect. Just sit back and let it play out. Lots of movement to come.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinto View Post
    Rumor this morning is we are losing 20 or so guys off the roster. Supposedly 53% of the roster or something to that affect. Just sit back and let it play out. Lots of movement to come.
    Well we had 11 Seniors (some with eligibility left), and 5 others go in the portal. Add LoTan and Sims in the draft and that already gets you to 18. So 20 isn't really that much.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    There is real truth here. If you can upgrade you do it. Kelly Bryant led Clemson to a football ACC championship and a spot in the playoffs. The next year, Dabo replaced him with a freshman named Trevor Lawrence. This was not an indictment of Bryant, but rather Trevor Lawrence was simply an upgrade.

I like Forsythe a lot. But if a new shortstop rolls onto campus that defends like Forsythe but hits like Brent Rooker, then you have to play him. This isn't T-ball where everyone gets to play to make mama happy.

Having said that, when I have a list of biggest current needs in the portal, shortstop certainly isn't at the top of the list.
    Agree on both points. You should always look to get better at least every position.
    But SS is down the list on things needs to be addressed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinto View Post
    I don't think we have 53% of the roster that would constitute a loss.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TNDawg35 View Post
    Absolutely!! People also forget dude is a true sophomore who was thrown into the lineup last year cause Kam James sucked ass. He should have redshirted last year but I thought he did really well this year especially since he was being jockeyed around like he was between him and Leggett.

I also hate the jockeying Lemonis did in CF. Look at Yeager. It took him a little while to get settled in. Davis really didn’t have that chance. It was too much movement in the field. I also never understood the batting order. Hancock should not have been the 2 man. He rolled over and popped our way too much. LoTann regressed at the plate, yet wanted to pimp everything he hit.

Like I stated, everyone was perfectly fine with Forsythe hitting .250 and then when he hits .270, everyone wants to bitch and complain cause he isn’t hitting dingers or isn’t big enough or yada yada yada… shut the **** up with that he isn’t big enough to hit dingers or is nothing but a spray hitter… who gives a shit as long as the kid hits.
    Let's just compare some SEC shortstops to ours shall we?

Foreskin- .273 avg with 3/1/0 (4 total Xbase hits) 12 RBI's .359 OBP

Mississippi-Gonzalez .... .280 with 9/3/16 (28 XBH's) 45 RBI's .417 OBP
    UPig- Battles.... .289 with 12/1/8 (21 XBH's) 36 RBI's .356 OBP
    LSU- Thompson.... .294 with 12/0/6 (18 XBH's) 28 RBI's .401 OBP
    Tennessee- Lawson .253 with 6/1/10 (17 XBH's) 37 RBI's .387 OBP
    Auburn- Moore .274 9/0/4 (13 XBH's) 28 RBI's OBP .335
    Florida- Rivera .265 7/1/9 (17 XBH's) 28 RBI's OBP .366

Thats quite alot of offense to give up at SS compared to what other teams are getting. Plus, he had the highest strikeout rate in our starting line-up
    Last edited by Coach34; 05-24-2022 at 11:51 AM.

vCash

Clearly pitching was the issue with this year. Every team's hitting can be improved as D. Only the really good teams have great pitching which is also why we won it last year, plain and simple.

vCash
    Let's just compare some SEC shortstops to ours shall we?

Foreskin- .273 avg with 3/1/0 (4 total Xbase hits) 12 RBI's .359 OBP

Mississippi-Gonzalez .... .280 with 9/3/16 (28 XBH's) 45 RBI's .417 OBP
    UPig- Battles.... .289 with 12/1/8 (21 XBH's) 36 RBI's .356 OBP
    LSU- Thompson.... .294 with 12/0/6 (18 XBH's) 28 RBI's .401 OBP
    Tennessee- Lawson .253 with 6/1/10 (17 XBH's) 37 RBI's .387 OBP
    Auburn- Moore .274 9/0/4 (13 XBH's) 28 RBI's OBP .335
    Florida- Rivera .265 7/1/9 (17 XBH's) 28 RBI's OBP .366

Thats quite alot of offense to give up at SS compared to what other teams are getting. Plus, he had the highest strikeout rate in our starting line-up
    So his average and obp are in line.
    He just doesn't have the extra base hits.
    He is an elite defender though.

The number to beat is 75k for the Kansas SS if one of you wants to pay that. I personally would rather spend it on arms.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Rock View Post
    Why in the freak to you continue to call these guys names. Really? Are 7 years old or something. Use his damn name.
    Can’t rep this but couldn’t agree more. Enough is enough.

But it is true IF and that is a big IF you can upgrade you upgrade. Just don’t think you want to remove your best SS who has his average coming along. That would be dumb.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    So his average and obp are in line.
    He just doesn't have the extra base hits.
    He is an elite defender though.

The number to beat is 75k for the Kansas SS if one of you wants to pay that. I personally would rather spend it on arms.
    He also slumped really bad and apparently finally fixed the hole in his swing. At least that is what they said on TV. I would take his defense along with hitting .280-.300. He just has to work on hitting to the gaps. He isn't ever going to be a homerun hitter but neither was Mangum. He also needs to become a good bunter if he really wants to up his value.