Thread: OT: Oktibbeha County Lake

vCash

OT: Oktibbeha County Lake

Gonna be spending a few days at the KOA on Oktibbeha County Lake in late June. Anyone have any fishing tips?

vCash
    Did they ever fix the levee?

vCash
    I was out there in January and it looked fixed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman79 View Post
    Gonna be spending a few days at the KOA on Oktibbeha County Lake in late June. Anyone have any fishing tips?
    Lake has grown up with brush around the edges. Not even sure you can get a boat in at the ramp. When I was in college and fished with my uncle the place we always went is completely inaccessible due to brush. The levee is not permanently fixed. It's just got a good bandaid on it. Last I heard they had run out of money. That may have changed. If you can get a boat in I would say go to the edge of all the brush grown up and see what you can find.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    Lake has grown up with brush around the edges. Not even sure you can get a boat in at the ramp. When I was in college and fished with my uncle the place we always went is completely inaccessible due to brush. The levee is not permanently fixed. It's just got a good bandaid on it. Last I heard they had run out of money. That may have changed. If you can get a boat in I would say go to the edge of all the brush grown up and see what you can find.
    Never been on it but it sounds like that brush would have lots of brim & bass hanging out. Getting the boat out beyond all of it then casting towards it. Got me thinking about fishing; been a long time. I always liked eating fresh caught. Are most all MS Lakes still clean enough to eat the fish? I don't trust anything here in DFW. catch & release only.
    Last edited by OLJWales; 05-27-2022 at 05:59 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OLJWales View Post
    Are most all MS Lakes still clean enough to eat the fish? I don't trust anything here in DFW. catch & release only.
    Oh yeah. Especially the bigger impoundments. No issues from that standpoint.

vCash
    Sounds like I need to take my kayak and put it to use.

vCash
    Stay there often. Kayak is a good way to go. Was there in the fall and the dam still wasn't fixed. Not sure if they fixed it or not since then but if they did that was super fast considering they haven't even been working on it.

Great campground though. Fun fact is that it's owned by Rick Stansbury

ETA: I hope they've fixed it, super cool set up when the lake is at normal pool and the campground can function as intended.

vCash
    Are the Supervisors in Oktibbeha county that incompetent that they can?t get the Levee fixed? It?s not that big of a Levee.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    Are the Supervisors in Oktibbeha county that incompetent that they can?t get the Levee fixed? It?s not that big of a Levee.
    It's had issues for years. It didn't really blow up until a couple years ago when they thought it was on the brink of failure. There's unverified reports they started repairs but ran out of money and had to stop, but had at least done enough to let traffic across it. I know it still doesn't look like they're letting the lake get to full capacity. With all the brush that's grown up I don't think it'll ever really be accessible to bank fish again.