Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mangum promoted to AAA

vCash

Mangum promoted to AAA

"After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Good for Jake! One more step!

vCash
    But people here say he has no change in the big leagues....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    I'd say very little chance. Mets have 4 guys (nimmo, marte, cahna, and janokowski) that can play cf on the roster. Jake is 26 also, which is pretty old.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I'd say very little chance. Mets have 4 guys (nimmo, marte, cahna, and janokowski) that can play cf on the roster. Jake is 26 also, which is pretty old.
    Mets also had 2 guys with Cy Young stuff coming into the season and another making a hell of a debut. Along with Bassit.

We get so many injuries that I won't be surprised if Jake is in the Big Leagues by the ASB. A logjam at any position on the Mets is nothing that will keep someone out of the Majors.

Jake always struck me as AAAA potential if he found enough power with wooden bats. Seems that he has.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    I think he has a chance but he hasn't quite made it. Getting closer though! Congrats Jake!

vCash
    Jake's arm is good enough to play RF or LF adequately in a fourth OF role. He can also pinch hit, pinch run, and bunt. Really the only thing he doesn't have a ton of is home run power.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Jake's arm is good enough to play RF or LF adequately in a fourth OF role. He can also pinch hit, pinch run, and bunt. Really the only thing he doesn't have a ton of is home run power.
    Khalil lee and nick Plummer are OFers in AAA also. Both are rated higher than jake, and both are on the 40-man roster. For Jake to be promoted, the Mets would have to add him to the 40-man roster, and to do that, they'd have to DFA or trade someone. Again, it's very unlikely that they if a spot comes open in NY that they don't use lee or Plummer first.

ETA... I'm a braves fan, so I'd love to see the Mets end up using their 3rd AAA OF at the mlb level. I just don't see it. If the Mets do have this level of injuries, they're a contender, so they'd almost certainly just trade for an mlb guy
    Last edited by msstate7; 05-23-2022 at 06:21 AM.

vCash
    Most prospects with staying power go straight to the show from AA.

I love Mangum, but you can populate a new country with AAA prospects that never made it that next step. And a handful of "rehab assignments" for true MLB guys on the mend.

AAA is where players go and play out several frustrating years knowing they are just not quite good enough. Many of them become coaches, which is what I hope Jake does someday back in StarkVegas.

That said, I hope I see him in the show and making a play or 2. No matter what, he's a SEC legend.

vCash
    Khalil lee and nick Plummer are OFers in AAA also. Both are rated higher than jake, and both are on the 40-man roster. For Jake to be promoted, the Mets would have to add him to the 40-man roster, and to do that, they'd have to DFA or trade someone. Again, it's very unlikely that they if a spot comes open in NY that they don't use lee or Plummer first.

ETA... I'm a braves fan, so I'd love to see the Mets end up using their 3rd AAA OF at the mlb level. I just don't see it. If the Mets do have this level of injuries, they're a contender, so they'd almost certainly just trade for an mlb guy
    I'm not sure either one of those players is significantly better than Jake. Lee was hitting below the Mendoza Line at AAA and Plummer was a six year minor league free agent who is only a year younger than Jake.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I'm not sure either one of those players is significantly better than Jake. Lee was hitting below the Mendoza Line at AAA and Plummer was a six year minor league free agent who is only a year younger than Jake.
    Lee is 23, and he's played in mlb last year. He started in A ball this year, so that tells me he was coming off an injury.

Plummer is older like Jake, but he's one of the Mets' top 10 prospects (Jake is 22nd) and he's on the 40-man. I suppose jake's best shot is passing Plummer

vCash
    I really hope he at least gets a chance on an MLB bench at some point, he'll definitely work as hard as he possibly can to get there.

His issue is that he K's way too much for a guy with his offensive profile. He's gotten a little better about getting his walks but still doesn't do it a ton and without much power either, he will have to be a clear .300+ guy to make it. To be that, he would have to significantly cut his K's. He is repeating AA this year and has actually been a little worse than last year. That and his age are not a good sign for his chances. But he's now only one step away, so we'll see and I hope he gets there.

vCash
    Where is JT Ginn these days?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    AA

https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...d=ginn--000jt-

vCash
    traded to Oakland. Down in Midland TX with their AA team the Roukhounds. Looks like he K'd 7 in 3.2 in his debut but struggled since. currently on 7 day Injured list for 2nd time this month.
    https://www.milb.com/player/j-t-ginn...-mlb&year=2022

vCash
    Jt has another arm issue, is the word. Hoping it's minor.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Jt has another arm issue, is the word. Hoping it's minor.
    Looks like he might be pitching tonight. Hope he gets it together whatever it is.

vCash
    Thanks for the reply guys. I know I could have googled it but been so busy these days it's easier to get all my information right here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    Most prospects with staying power go straight to the show from AA.
    That's not really true anymore. Almost all top prospects go through AAA. I agree with your main point though, which is that Jake is likely more of a AAAA player than a major leaguer. I do think he will get the call at some point in his career though. Hopefully this year when rosters expand.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yim Yames View Post
    That's not really true anymore. Almost all top prospects go through AAA. I agree with your main point though, which is that Jake is likely more of a AAAA player than a major leaguer. I do think he will get the call at some point in his career though. Hopefully this year when rosters expand.
    Rosters only expand to 28 now, right?