Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portal pitchers

vCash

Portal pitchers

We need several. But the problem is, transfer pitchers are an absolute crapshoot. And we've crapped out almost every time.

I can't think of any we brought in that was a difference maker. Anyone? Maybe JP France kinda did good.

I don't expect the top pitchers in high school to turn down MLB. And I don't have any confidence that we can bring in any arms worth anything. And with our luck, we'll get a good one that tears a UCL.

vCash
    How is most everyone else getting pitchers?

vCash
    We have to raid lower level staffs all over the US
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Not a crap shoot, unless you are harvesting talent sight unseen. Or collecting players on basis of "electric stuff" and MLB potential after 1.5 years in A and A+ ball.

D1 transfers with a track record of innings seems like easy money looking at results around the league.

Getting failed projects from someone else sucks, on the other hand. Xavier Lovette and Davis Rokose were not good at MSU and now not good at TAM and UGA.

Won't get marquee players to transfer, unless you get a special circumstance like Tulane.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    We need several. But the problem is, transfer pitchers are an absolute crapshoot. And we've crapped out almost every time.

I can't think of any we brought in that was a difference maker. Anyone? Maybe JP France kinda did good.

I don't expect the top pitchers in high school to turn down MLB. And I don't have any confidence that we can bring in any arms worth anything. And with our luck, we'll get a good one that tears a UCL.
    Crapped out? JP France and Zach Neff were both pretty good. Stone Simmons looked very good until he got injures. Carlisle Koestler did OK but was lost in the shuffle with all of the COVID players back. Drew Talley had the best ERA of our relievers this year.

Let me put it this way- we've had way more success with portal pitchers than we have with JUCO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    Not a crap shoot, unless you are harvesting talent sight unseen. Or collecting players on basis of "electric stuff" and MLB potential after 1.5 years in A and A+ ball.

D1 transfers with a track record of innings seems like easy money looking at results around the league.

Getting failed projects from someone else sucks, on the other hand. Xavier Lovette and Davis Rokose were not good at MSU and now not good at TAM and UGA.

Won't get marquee players to transfer, unless you get a special circumstance like Tulane.
    A guy like Tanner Hall from USM is the kind of pitcher we need to target. A guy who is an ace at a mid major who is a veteran and wants to prove himself in the SEC. I doubt we'll find an Ethan Small/Dakota Hudson type ace that way but we can find guys that can compete.

vCash
    I'll give you an over under of 1.5.

I'll bet you there's no more than 1 transfer arm that we bring for next year that actually makes a rock solid difference.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    A guy like Tanner Hall from USM is the kind of pitcher we need to target. A guy who is an ace at a mid major who is a veteran and wants to prove himself in the SEC. I doubt we'll find an Ethan Small/Dakota Hudson type ace that way but we can find guys that can compete.
    But under the circumstances, why would he leave a 41-15 record, 17th ranked, likely Regional Host program to come to 26-30, dead last SEC team just so he can pitch in the SEC? He has the same opportunity to get to Omaha from where he is right now as all but 3 or 4 SEC teams this year.

Coastal Carolina followed up their 1 National Championship year with 3 straight 35+ win seasons.

Meanwhile UCLA followed up their NC in 2013 with a 25-30-1 and 12-18 record and MSU followed their NC year with this debacle. I can see us getting a couple of good pitchers from teams that have no chance, but even a guy like Yeager could have stayed at Mercer and played in the tourney more than likely.

I am just perplexed and disgusted so maybe someone will leave a tourney team to come help turn this train loaded with TNT headed for the collapsed tunnel around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    But under the circumstances, why would he leave a 41-15 record, 17th ranked, likely Regional Host program to come to 26-30, dead last SEC team just so he can pitch in the SEC? He has the same opportunity to get to Omaha from where he is right now as all but 3 or 4 SEC teams this year.

Coastal Carolina followed up their 1 National Championship year with 3 straight 35+ win seasons.

Meanwhile UCLA followed up their NC in 2013 with a 25-30-1 and 12-18 record and MSU followed their NC year with this debacle. I can see us getting a couple of good pitchers from teams that have no chance, but even a guy like Yeager could have stayed at Mercer and played in the tourney more than likely.

I am just perplexed and disgusted so maybe someone will leave a tourney team to come help turn this train loaded with TNT headed for the collapsed tunnel around.
    Because he can increase his draft stock by playing against better competition more consistently. USM has been to Omaha once in the past 50 years. We go on average of about every 4 years the past 50. USM may very well get to Omaha this year- who knows? But the odds are better at MSU. It's going to come down to money- as in NIL money. In other words he can make more NIL money at MSU than he can at USM. We also have a good track record of pitchers in MLB. So there are several reasons.

There is zero reason that we can't do what Texas A&M did last year with the portal with our resources. It's almost like some of our fans want us to fail.

https://www.thebatt.com/sports/a-m-s...ae6145950.html

vCash
    Totally agree with this approach. Those guys are out there and are motivated to play in the best conf and best atmosphere in college baseball. Go get them.

vCash
    Because he can increase his draft stock by playing against better competition more consistently. USM has been to Omaha once in the past 50 years. We go on average of about every 4 years the past 50. USM may very well get to Omaha this year- who knows? But the odds are better at MSU. It's going to come down to money- as in NIL money. In other words he can make more NIL money at MSU than he can at USM. We also have a good track record of pitchers in MLB. So there are several reasons.

There is zero reason that we can't do what Texas A&M did last year with the portal with our resources. It's almost like some of our fans want us to fail.

https://www.thebatt.com/sports/a-m-s...ae6145950.html
    I refuse to believe it is that our fans want us to fail, I just do not think they fully understand the portal. I mean hell I follow college sports closely and have trouble understanding all of it.

Back to the original point, Tanner Hall is definitely a guy we need to target. He would immediately be a weekend rotation guy for you and probably the Friday night guy.

A couple of more guys we will probably look at, and you can look at their numbers and figure out why:

William Privette- College of Charleston
    Smith Pinson- Kennesaw St
    Triston Dixon- Tx State
    Blake Morgan- Old Dominion

We also need to keep watch on that situation at LSU. If there is legs to the rumors of players hating Johnson then we need to steal a couple of their arms.

vCash
    Chase Dollander was the SP for Tenn against us in Game 1. He is 8-0 with a 2.30 ERA this year

Last year- he pitched for Georgia Southern

Thats how you portal
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Chase Dollander was the SP for Tenn against us in Game 1. He is 8-0 with a 2.30 ERA this year

Last year- he pitched for Georgia Southern

Thats how you portal
    Chase Dollander was 4-3 last year at Georgia Southern with a 4+ ERA. The portal is just like high school recruiting in a lot of ways. IT IS A CRAPSHOOT. It truly is just how they develop and I lot of that is self development. If you would have told anyone last year that Chase Dollander was going to be the SEC pitcher of the year and the Friday night ace of the #1 team in college baseball they would have just assumed you were a parent. I mean hell, Jake Mangum was basically cut the fall of his freshman year and six months later he is the national freshman of the year and hit .420 on the year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Chase Dollander was 4-3 last year at Georgia Southern with a 4+ ERA. The portal is just like high school recruiting in a lot of ways. IT IS A CRAPSHOOT. It truly is just how they develop and I lot of that is self development. If you would have told anyone last year that Chase Dollander was going to be the SEC pitcher of the year and the Friday night ace of the #1 team in college baseball they would have just assumed you were a parent. I mean hell, Jake Mangum was basically cut the fall of his freshman year and six months later he is the national freshman of the year and hit .420 on the year.
    This is a stretch - apparently Tennessee saw something in him that we didn't

vCash
    Does anyone have a link to the 2022 baseball transfer portal? Be nice if the fans could see who is available.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    I refuse to believe it is that our fans want us to fail, I just do not think they fully understand the portal. I mean hell I follow college sports closely and have trouble understanding all of it.

Back to the original point, Tanner Hall is definitely a guy we need to target. He would immediately be a weekend rotation guy for you and probably the Friday night guy.

A couple of more guys we will probably look at, and you can look at their numbers and figure out why:

William Privette- College of Charleston
    Smith Pinson- Kennesaw St
    Triston Dixon- Tx State
    Blake Morgan- Old Dominion

We also need to keep watch on that situation at LSU. If there is legs to the rumors of players hating Johnson then we need to steal a couple of their arms.
    Privette is awesome, disgusting numbers. Looks like a relief ace
    Pinson also looks great, no walks
    Dixon is a twice per weekend relief guy, looks good. Got roughed up 2 or 3 times.
    Blake Morgan, a non basket-case lefty. He shut down USM one time. No walks. A lefty with an era under 11.00? Luxury

MSU would be in Hoover and probably hosting a regional with 4 cats with these numbers nearly 200 quality innings with sub 9.00 ERA. How about we send Hancock to KSU for Pinson, McGowan to TSU for Dixon, Meche and Seibert to Charleston for Privette, and Skinner+Walling to ODU for Morgan. All these schools would be getting players with Omaha experience and NC rings for a middle reliever.

vCash
    Possibly that we will have to find a whole starting rotation in the Portal.

Our 500th Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    This sounds like bad news on Cade. But I think Pico can be a solid starter next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    Not really a profound statement here is it? Our starters this year were slated as relief guys…….just stating a fact bud

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 662dawg View Post
    This sounds like bad news on Cade. But I think Pico can be a solid starter next year.
    Can we find a pitch coach who can harness his lower half? He has similar issues as Fristoe only from the other side. The common denominator of the 2 is Fox.