Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hopefully Lesson are Learned - Baseball Transfers at Select Schools

vCash
    We need a near complete overhaul of the pitching staff. We know the core that should come back but we have some guys with really good stuff that shouldn’t take a roster spot going forward. If you can’t live on the corners with some type of movement or special spin, you can’t make it at this level. 95mph alone isn’t that special anymore.

vCash
    Please tell me we didn't actually have DiChiara wanting to commit and told him no. That's the equivalent of Devonta Smith wanting to transfer here in 2020 and Leach telling him no.
    Last edited by Quaoarsking; 05-18-2022 at 05:19 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    1/4 transfers are SEC caliber players. That's not good evaluation skills, especially when so many great players were in the portal other SEC teams nabbed. Why did we take Von Seibert?
    Why are you talking about JUCO players when we're talking about the portal?

Auger was a hit until he was hurt.
    Seibert is just redundant more than anything
    Davis has been good when they've played him a a has performed like he was expected to given his history.
    Yeager leads the SEC in home runs. He was a huge hit
    Corder is a Miss so far but has two years left to figure it out.

So our portal guys were hits. Not to mention Simmons was a hit until he got hurt.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    Please tell me we didn't actually have DiChiara wanting to commit and told him no. That's the equivalent of Devonta Smith wanting to transfer here in 2020 and Leach telling him no.
    In 2021 at Samford, he hit .273 with 18 hr’s. When you take into consideration that true freshman Hunter Hines has almost identical numbers, playing in the SEC, I can understand why we didn’t take him. I don’t think anyone expected him to make the type of jump that he made.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    In 2021 at Samford, he hit .273 with 18 hr’s. When you take into consideration that true freshman Hunter Hines has almost identical numbers, playing in the SEC, I can understand why we didn’t take him. I don’t think anyone expected him to make the type of jump that he made.
    Or expecting that the same level of production would have occurred here had he come... looking at stats on another team does not mean that someone would have produced equally in our roster...

How many wins would our SP's have if our bullpen wasn't complete shit???? Cade Smith got dicked more than anyone on the team!!!! He leads the team in ERA (when taking out the injured pitchers), yet we have 10 pitchers with an ERA over 4 and 8 over 5 (not count Forsythe in either w/ his 23 ERA)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    I can understand not expecting him to be a Golden Spikes finalist, but I just don't see how we can not let him have one of 35 roster spots.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    I can understand not expecting him to be a Golden Spikes finalist, but I just don't see how we can not let him have one of 35 roster spots.
    Because we were loyal to Hancock and felt like Hines was going to earn a starting job once he got on campus. Yes it was a mistake but you can see their mindset. We have to get away from the "loyalty mindset". Bama doesnt have that shit in football. The best play and the pretenders move on
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Because we were loyal to Hancock and felt like Hines was going to earn a starting job once he got on campus. Yes it was a mistake but you can see their mindset. We have to get away from the "loyalty mindset". Bama doesnt have that shit in football. The best play and the pretenders move on
    The loyalty mindset was way worse with the pitching than first base. Or just flat out Dan Mullen-esque roster management. It doesn't take Joe Torre to figure out we had one LHP coming back and that was Cam Tullar who was pretty ineffective. We should have gotten 2-3 pitchers out of the portal in addition to Auger and Walling. And at least two of those pitchers from the portal should have been LHP. We could have easily made it work and attract pitchers because we lost our top three starters from last year- Bednar, MacLeoud, and Harding. There was never any guarantee that Sims could start even. For all we knew we may have had to move him back to closer. He ended up hurt which is a possibility with all pitchers. We never even really replaced Sims so we had a closer role open as well. It's mind blowing that our four coaches messed that up.

At least with first base we had Hancock who we knew could do the job and a first baseman that a lot of pro scouts liked in Hines who has put up similar numbers as DiChara in a ballpark that is much more difficult to hit home runs in.