Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SEC rumored to be going to pods for football

vCash
    Will each pod champ then vie for the overall championship? I think they should do it like sec basketball and be done with it. What if u go 3-0 in the pod but go 0-5 vs the others.

vCash
    I really hope the "pods" are each based on each teams rivalries. That makes the most sense to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I really hope the "pods" are each based on each teams rivalries. That makes the most sense to me.
    Todd, that would be good in theory but can it be done? Florida, South Carolina, Kentucky, Georgia, all have in-state out of conference rivalries they will have to keep playing. Those also qualify as their P-5 non-con game. Haven?t we been playing Alabama and LSU longer than anyone else has or pretty close?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    Todd, that would be good in theory but can it be done? Florida, South Carolina, Kentucky, Georgia, all have in-state out of conference rivalries they will have to keep playing. Those also qualify as their P-5 non-con game. Haven?t we been playing Alabama and LSU longer than anyone else has or pretty close?
    Yes on both accounts. And it's ridiculous that we have had to play Bama and LSU that much.

If Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and Kentucky and etc. want to count that as their P5 game I'm good with that. With the way things rotate they may have a season where they play Vanderbilt, Mizzou, Kentucky, and etc. which will lighten their schedule up some.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    Not sure that trend will hold true for the long haul......
    I would agree based on media and history. However, Texas hasn't won jack in over 20 years. They've had/have every tool to be successful and are mediocre in football. Joining the SEC isn't going to give them any other advantages.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    I would agree based on media and history. However, Texas hasn't won jack in over 20 years. They've had/have every tool to be successful and are mediocre in football. Joining the SEC isn't going to give them any other advantages.
    A&M hasn’t won Jack ever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    A&M hasn’t won Jack ever.
    So your point?

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    So your point?
    One has at least had historical success and it ain't A&M. I've heard about how they are a sleeping giant for 30 years. They are literally Mississippi State on the field and have been for most of my life (outside our Croom years). Texas has proven that if they are run correctly they can be elite. A&M has not.

vCash
    Well they just brought in the highest rated recruiting class now that buying players is legal. With their money- they likely wont be outside the Top 5 for quite some time.

I'd expect them to be very good over the next decade
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Well they just brought in the highest rated recruiting class now that buying players is legal. With their money- they likely wont be outside the Top 5 for quite some time.

I'd expect them to be very good over the next decade
    They had 3 top ten recruiting classes in a row (1 top 5 class) prior to this past class and have been very average. Texas (also very average) has accumulated 3 top 5 signing classes during that same time frame. Both of their issues isn't talent. Jimbo is not a great coach and I don't expect him to do anything special there until he decides to run an offense that doesn't require a quarterback to obtain a PHD in astrophysics to master.

vCash
    They finished Top 5 in 2020 and had they not lost their QB in the early season in 2021- likely finish top 10 at worst. Losing your starting QB is a big deal. They are no longer average.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    They had 3 top ten recruiting classes in a row (1 top 5 class) prior to this past class and have been very average. Texas (also very average) has accumulated 3 top 5 signing classes during that same time frame. Both of their issues isn't talent. Jimbo is not a great coach and I don't expect him to do anything special there until he decides to run an offense that doesn't require a quarterback to obtain a PHD in astrophysics to master.
    Jameis Winston was able to run that offense pretty well with just some extra, hands-on work studying marine biology, so not sure your comment on getting a phd in astrophysics is accurate.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    They finished Top 5 in 2020 and had they not lost their QB in the early season in 2021- likely finish top 10 at worst. Losing your starting QB is a big deal. They are no longer average.
    The guy was named the starter the first week of the season and was average until getting hurt, just like his backup. Jimbo talked about how comparable the 2 were all the way up until week 1. He did nothing in the first game and a half to indicate he would have made that team a top 10 team. A&M has been average for a very long time and until they prove otherwise they will be thought of as such by most people.
    Last edited by Jarius; 05-19-2022 at 03:51 PM.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Jameis Winston was able to run that offense pretty well with just some extra, hands-on work studying marine biology, so not sure your comment on getting a phd in astrophysics is accurate.
    Jimbo is famous for having an extremely large playbook and also famous for having a lot of average quarterback play in our conference. Winston was good and would have been good here like some other ones he’s coached but he has yet to have anyone against SEC competition be a real threat at quarterback.
    Last edited by Jarius; 05-19-2022 at 04:28 PM.

vCash
    I'll remind you of all this after we play A&M

vCash
    Looking forward to our head coach beating the Aggies for the 9th time in his career.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    And I'll remind you going into playing A&M that we are 5-3 in our last 8 games against them no matter what happens in that game. No one is scared of that school, least of all Mike Leach who has dropped his nuts on them more times than most.