Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 58 of 58

Thread: WOW, no ego involved

  1. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    645
    vCash
    2800
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    It would be to me. Getting fired from a job because I didn't perform to expectations would certainly be embarrassing to me. I have a high standard for myself. The money is not the issue. The issue is I performed so poorly that they want me gone. And in Mullen's case, they were willing to pay him to go away.
    Glad you have that ethos, but for me when the money hit the table it'll cure the embarrassment. But I've always had a IDGF attitude, others opinions, other than my wife's/kid's, have never meant anything to me. What one perceives as other's opinions is what causes embarrassment for the most part. In my younger days, I may have had your same attitude, but I'm getting ready to shut it down in the next year, so my IDGF meter keeps expanding.

    Mullen is a smarmy little b!tch, he certainly don't care other's think.

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2,770
    vCash
    3100
    Quote Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
    Glad you have that ethos, but for me when the money hit the table it'll cure the embarrassment. But I've always had a IDGF attitude, others opinions, other than my wife's/kid's, have never meant anything to me. What one perceives as other's opinions is what causes embarrassment for the most part. In my younger days, I may have had your same attitude, but I'm getting ready to shut it down in the next year, so my IDGF meter keeps expanding.

    Mullen is a smarmy little b!tch, he certainly don't care other's think.
    The money wouldn't matter to me. If someone called me in and said I hadn't performed up to expectation, and they had no confidence that I could perform up to expectation in the future, and was therefore fired, it would bother me a lot. Because I've always prided myself on getting it done. I've never worked a day, or an hour, or a minute, in my life with the IDGAF attitude. It's not other people's opinions that matter to me. Rather it is my work ethic and ability that I take pride in. I work every day to make the bosses say "that's the most valuable person we have and I wish everyone else was like him." That's the only way I know how to do it.

  3. #43
    Senior Member FISHDAWG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    4,892
    vCash
    1220092
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    The money wouldn't matter to me. If someone called me in and said I hadn't performed up to expectation, and they had no confidence that I could perform up to expectation in the future, and was therefore fired, it would bother me a lot. Because I've always prided myself on getting it done. I've never worked a day, or an hour, or a minute, in my life with the IDGAF attitude. It's not other people's opinions that matter to me. Rather it is my work ethic and ability that I take pride in. I work every day to make the bosses say "that's the most valuable person we have and I wish everyone else was like him." That's the only way I know how to do it.
    I feel the same way and at some point you have to GAF in order to achieve a 6 million dollar salary to begin with.
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

  4. #44
    Senior Member Coach34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    26,066
    vCash
    2610
    Nobody is saying he shouldnt be embarrassed about being fired at Fla. Thats a given. Thats done and over.

    Whatever he does now is fine. He's rich and doesnt have to do much
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

  5. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    645
    vCash
    2800
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    The money wouldn't matter to me. If someone called me in and said I hadn't performed up to expectation, and they had no confidence that I could perform up to expectation in the future, and was therefore fired, it would bother me a lot. Because I've always prided myself on getting it done. I've never worked a day, or an hour, or a minute, in my life with the IDGAF attitude. It's not other people's opinions that matter to me. Rather it is my work ethic and ability that I take pride in. I work every day to make the bosses say "that's the most valuable person we have and I wish everyone else was like him." That's the only way I know how to do it.
    If your boss came in and said we're going to fire you but give you a $20 mil severance OR you can keep on working here for $100k and keep your pride, i'm glad you'd stay, but for 99.999999% of humans, they are out the door with a huge smile. I'm a live and let live cat, you do you.

  6. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2,770
    vCash
    3100
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Nobody is saying he shouldnt be embarrassed about being fired at Fla. Thats a given. Thats done and over.

    Whatever he does now is fine. He's rich and doesnt have to do much
    Exactly correct. Being fired at Florida is embarrassing. But if he's working at a high school teaching kids football and helping them better themselves on the field and off, then there is nothing embarrassing about that. That's an admirable profession.

  7. #47
    Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    3,215
    vCash
    3138
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    The money wouldn't matter to me. If someone called me in and said I hadn't performed up to expectation, and they had no confidence that I could perform up to expectation in the future, and was therefore fired, it would bother me a lot. Because I've always prided myself on getting it done. I've never worked a day, or an hour, or a minute, in my life with the IDGAF attitude. It's not other people's opinions that matter to me. Rather it is my work ethic and ability that I take pride in. I work every day to make the bosses say "that's the most valuable person we have and I wish everyone else was like him." That's the only way I know how to do it.

    So are you at the very top of your field like Mullen was his? Mullen could have played it safe and stayed at a job at a local high school for his entire career and went 40 years coaching high schoolers without getting fired. He didn’t though. He made it to one of the top ten programs in the country which is a bigger accomplishment than 99.99999 % of the people on this board. “Getting the job done” in the SEC where it is an absolute shark tank and you get fired for winning less than 10 games at certain programs isn’t embarrassing. There are a whole bunch of excellent coaches that have gotten fired for unreasonable expectations at certain schools. People having ridiculous expectations is what got a lot of them fired, not their actual job performance. You didn’t say this specifically but if you are implying that Dan Mullen had a work ethic issue, you are wrong.
    Last edited by Jarius; 05-16-2022 at 08:41 PM.

  8. #48
    Senior Member Todd4State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    36,438
    vCash
    3700
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    So are you at the very top of your field like Mullen was his? Mullen could have played it safe and stayed at a job at a local high school for his entire career and went 40 years coaching high schoolers without getting fired. He didn’t though. He made it to one of the top ten programs in the country which is a bigger accomplishment than 99.99999 % of the people on this board. “Getting the job done” in the SEC where it is an absolute shark tank and you get fired for winning less than 10 games at certain programs isn’t embarrassing. There are a whole bunch of excellent coaches that have gotten fired for unreasonable expectations at certain schools. People having ridiculous expectations is what got a lot of them fired, not their actual job performance. You didn’t say this specifically but if you are implying that Dan Mullen had a work ethic issue, you are wrong.
    Ironically, if he had stayed here he wouldn't have had to deal with unrealistic expectations and would have been allowed to keep his country club together for as long as he wanted.

    The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence.

  9. #49
    Senior Member Coach34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    26,066
    vCash
    2610
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Ironically, if he had stayed here he wouldn't have had to deal with unrealistic expectations and would have been allowed to keep his country club together for as long as he wanted.

    The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence.
    Thats what kills me about Mullen. Hey asshole- you wanted the big job. You constantly chased it while you were coaching at State. You get it? And you dont put the work in or time to keep it. It's almost like you coasted in it and then got fired on purpose- knowing they would owe you millions.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

  10. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    740
    vCash
    433750
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    Took a High School gig like Cannizzaro.

    Ironic that they both were involved with the same woman back in the day.
    FYI that idiot got shit canned from that too. Right before high school playoffs started. There ain't no telling what that idiot did now.

  11. #51
    Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    3,215
    vCash
    3138
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Ironically, if he had stayed here he wouldn't have had to deal with unrealistic expectations and would have been allowed to keep his country club together for as long as he wanted.

    The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence.
    I agree with that and that’s why I shook my head when he left, especially when we had that team returning. However, he went to 3 straight NY6 bowls while inheriting a team that went 4-8 the year prior to his arrival. Firing him for 1 bad year is pretty ridiculous in my opinion, but I don’t feel sorry for him.

  12. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    4,673
    vCash
    3000
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckdog View Post
    FYI that idiot got shit canned from that too. Right before high school playoffs started. There ain't no telling what that idiot did now.
    Met a TCU Grad / Insider who was unhappy that Schloss told him he was bolting to STATE. He also told me Cann is a long time friend and they talked after his shit hit the fan in Vegas. After all he told me about him, I'm convinced any "Rumors" are actual fact including sexting on the job. Said Cann has been that way his entire adult life. SAD. Unfortunately it was a one time get together cuz I'd love a scoop on WTF happened with "Schloss to STATE."
    Last edited by OLJWales; 05-17-2022 at 12:51 PM.

  13. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    645
    vCash
    2800
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    I agree with that and that’s why I shook my head when he left, especially when we had that team returning. However, he went to 3 straight NY6 bowls while inheriting a team that went 4-8 the year prior to his arrival. Firing him for 1 bad year is pretty ridiculous in my opinion, but I don’t feel sorry for him.
    Supposedly Mullen's remarks at press conference, where we said something to the effect, "we'll worry about recruiting when the season is over," greatly contributed to his firing. Obviously he is smart and accomplished, and understands how important recruiting is and that it goes on 24/7, but that flippant remark didn't sit well with the fans.

  14. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    11,227
    vCash
    3400
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Thats what kills me about Mullen. Hey asshole- you wanted the big job. You constantly chased it while you were coaching at State. You get it? And you dont put the work in or time to keep it. It's almost like you coasted in it and then got fired on purpose- knowing they would owe you millions.
    I think Mullen was a little burned out at state and legitimately thought the problem was that he didn't think he could compete for a national championship at MSU and that if he went to a new program, he'd get his fire back. And I think he was fired up for a year or so at UF, but lost his edge again and really stopped giving a 17 when he started having to put up with negative reactions to his results.

  15. #55
    Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    3,215
    vCash
    3138
    Quote Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
    Supposedly Mullen's remarks at press conference, where we said something to the effect, "we'll worry about recruiting when the season is over," greatly contributed to his firing. Obviously he is smart and accomplished, and understands how important recruiting is and that it goes on 24/7, but that flippant remark didn't sit well with the fans.
    Yea I mean he wasn’t very good at recruiting. However, he recruited just as well here as Joe Moorhead did, which everyone loved as a recruiter. Leach is also recruiting in that same area.

  16. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    11,227
    vCash
    3400
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    Yea I mean he wasn’t very good at recruiting. However, he recruited just as well here as Joe Moorhead did, which everyone loved as a recruiter. Leach is also recruiting in that same area.
    Mullen may have recruited similar based on rankings, but Moorhead did a much better job recruiting needs. He was left with a pretty imbalanced roster and huge holes that needed to be filled on the OL and that is basically the only thing he was good at.

  17. #57
    Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    3,215
    vCash
    3138
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Mullen may have recruited similar based on rankings, but Moorhead did a much better job recruiting needs. He was left with a pretty imbalanced roster and huge holes that needed to be filled on the OL and that is basically the only thing he was good at.
    Mullen’s tenure here and Moorhead’s tenure here would say Mullen recruited needs much better than Moorhead did. Mullen was here for nearly a decade and did better than pretty much any of his predecessors. Seems to me the needs were being met just fine.
    Last edited by Jarius; 05-19-2022 at 05:24 PM.

  18. #58
    Senior Member Coach34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    26,066
    vCash
    2610
    Mullen recruiting kids that were underrated and had to be projected what they would be 2-3 years down the road was literally his best trait as a coach. JoVester isnt in his class on that
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Disclaimer: Elitedawgs is a privately owned and operated forum that is managed by alumni of Mississippi State University. This website is in no way affiliated with the Mississippi State University, The Southeastern Conference (SEC) or the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). The views and opinions expressed herein are strictly those of the post author and may not reflect the views of other members of this forum or elitedawgs.com. The interactive nature of the elitedawgs.com forums makes it impossible for elitedawgs.com to assume responsibility for any of the content posted at this site. Ideas, thoughts, suggestion, comments, opinions, advice and observations made by participants at elitedawgs.com are not endorsed by elitedawgs.com
Elitedawgs: A Mississippi State Fan Forum, Mississippi State Football, Mississippi State Basketball, Mississippi State Baseball, Mississippi State Athletics. Mississippi State message board.