Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
Officially.

He tried to leave I think around 1991 or 1992 or so and LT and legend has it Everett Kennard begged him to stay. He did end up staying. And we kind of went into a small decline for 1993-1994. Then he hired Pat McMahon to be the pitching coach/coach in waiting essentially from Old Dominion where he was the head coach. And we brought in the top recruiting class in the country and ended up going to Omaha for Polk I's last year in 1997. And McMahon's first year in 1998.
The thing about RP announcing his retirement in the early 90's and LT and a few others talked him out of it was a huge Mistake! He was burnt out dealing and battling a losing cause against the Ncaa although everyone in general agreed with him. Baseball wasn't a factor back then to most schools.

Also, word I got when Pat McMahon was HC, he got tired of RP around the the team and clubhouse all the time, kept metaling with his team. Then of course the RP II era was the biggest mistake in Msu baseball, his ego was so huge he wouldn't leave Starkville to recruit, then when he was fired he tried to destroy Msu baseball. But as time has past all things are forgiven and Msu baseball moved on only to have lots of in house troubles. Hopefully we get everything back on track and be Miss State baseball again when we all can enjoy what we have built over many decades.