Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I?ve never been so apathetic

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    Towards MSU sports.

I think this is the first time I?ve even looked at the message board or state athletics media in about a month (maybe more). I don?t think I?ve actively watched state sports since the egg bowl and I only halfway watched it. I hope the rest of the fanbase isn?t feeling half the way I am about it. Really hoping football season changes that.

First time in 30 years I?ve been like this. Trying to get reinvigorated but?.meh?
    I'm pretty damn fired up about our football team. We return 17 starters on a team that won 7 games and went to the portal and juco and got a lot of help in key spots. I'm really excited about our new men's basketball coach too. This will be the first year in a long time that I give a shit about basketball.

vCash
    The other thing that hasn't been said is the Covid situation.

2020 & 2021 had limited recruiting visits etc.... It had to effect the recruiting evaluations and even some player development. I don't know the details but I bet there is someone that does know and could fill us in.

Lemonis & Co. will right the ship, They are too good at coaching & recruiting as a staff not to get it done. If they don't', the next group will. Mississippi State is one of the "Have's" in baseball now that NIL deals are possible. Do not despair.

The only reason to be down on the baseball program is this year's performance but the future of Mississippi State baseball is as good as anyone's anywhere. Of that, I have no doubt. We can only wish the Basketball & Football programs could be so lucky and those programs should be in pretty good shape going forward.

I know I certainly like both Men's and Women's Round-ball hires and we should find out a lot about Leach this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Rock View Post
    The other thing that hasn't been said is the Covid situation.

2020 & 2021 had limited recruiting visits etc.... It had to effect the recruiting evaluations and even some player development. I don't know the details but I bet there is someone that does know and could fill us in.

Lemonis & Co. will right the ship, They are too good at coaching & recruiting as a staff not to get it done. If they don't', the next group will. Mississippi State is one of the "Have's" in baseball now that NIL deals are possible. Do not despair.

The only reason to be down on the baseball program is this year's performance but the future of Mississippi State baseball is as good as anyone's anywhere. Of that, I have no doubt. We can only wish the Basketball & Football programs could be so lucky and those programs should be in pretty good shape going forward.

I know I certainly like both Men's and Women's Round-ball hires and we should find out a lot about Leach this year.
    It hurt player development and scouting, and the roster expansion and extra eligibility may have made it worse. While we benefited from the extra pitchers last year, the 2019 and 2020 players who couldn't break through into the line up or regular innings are almost all gone from the program. 2019 we had 17 commits (not included draftees who signed with MLB clubs) and 10 are gone (Bednar included in that); 2020 we had 14 commits, 8 are gone. And while a number have panned out, some of the "developmental guys from those classes (Siebert, Corder, McGowen, Tepper, Meche) are obviously not ready for prime time in their 2nd and 3rd seasons like a lot of players have been. Guys who break thru like Forsythe, Cade, and Hunt and Kam have all seen improvement and contributed. Hopefully the large number '21 of kids who sat out this season have a little more normal development process.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Steve posted an article yesterday that said of the 74 CWS winners, 29 failed to make post season the following year.
    Looking at the winners in the past 20 years, after winning in 2006 and 2007 Oregon State finished 2008 at 28-24; Fresno State in 2008 followed up with a 34-30 record in '09; after beating us in 2013 UCLA went 25-30-1.
    So having a down year is not unusual at all.

This season was a let down for sure. I think something we forget in our perspective as fans is that we built a team that barring COVID would have had a 4 year CWS run - something that has only been done by 1 other SEC school (Florida 2015-2018) and only 11 schools total.

I know we all want to have a juggernaut program that never has down years - but I think a lot of what we dealt with this season is the cumulative impact of the uncertainty and coaching turnover between Cohen and Lemonis. The fact that our team stayed highly competitive during all that speaks volumes about the program overall. We had a down season in '15 that propelled us to greater heights then we had seen in a long time, hopefully this season helps kick us to the next level beyond that.
    Sure we had pitchers (and some good ones) that were injured but we also had 6 starters back and some of them just haven't been what we thought. I was looking for Lo Tan and James to have big seasons and I think a lot of other people did too. Just didn't happen.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Rationalizations are the soothing salve to the chafed soul of all us Mississippi State fans.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    Sure we had pitchers (and some good ones) that were injured but we also had 6 starters back and some of them just haven't been what we thought. I was looking for Lo Tan and James to have big seasons and I think a lot of other people did too. Just didn't happen.
    Interestingly, the 6 returning starters did well though (so far)
    '21 stats below are regular season only:

Hancock in '21 .268, 10 HR 51 RBI; '22 .280 7 HR 27 RBI
    LoTan: '21 .286 11 HR 40 RBI; '22 .317 7 HR 38 RBI
    Kam: '21 .267 9 HR 47 RBI; '22 .303 8 HR 31 RBI
    Forsythe: '21 .262 1 HR 17 RBI; '22 .290 0 HR 9 RBI
    Clark: .279 2 HR 7 RBI; '22 .241 13 HR 37 RBI
    Cumbest: .329 8 HR 15 RBI; '22 .303 12 HR 30 RBI

What is evident is that we missed having TA and Rowdey setting the table. That shows up in the reduced RBI's. Even as good as RJ & Hines have been, they doesn't measure up to TA & Rowdey's OBP at the top of the lineup.
    Couple that with not replacing Dubrule's production and those 3 holes will kill a line up.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EdwardDrayton View Post
    1. Yes, a year ago we won a NC but we are like the Montreal Canadiens of college baseball. We fell far and hard.

2. Nothing proven yet with men?s and women?s basketball so all subjective at this point. Can say it is good that we have more than seven players on the womens team now.

3. Again nothing proven with football at this point. All hope and dreams. Leach apparently is all in with Will Rogers and sure hope that works out for his sake.

4. Let?s be honest. Not many of us really care about tennis, softball, etc etc. But there?s nothing amazing going on there anyway.
    Yeah I agree nothing really going on yet in any other sports to get the fan base all excited. Some cautious hope and optimism and that is it. Football is on it's last hope this year. Get it done this year or it ain't happening.

Baseball is the real kick in the gut. Our most proud tradition curb stomped in humiliation by everyone. We can't even wear our NC gear into post season. It really sucks. We all still have great memories of last year. I went to Omaha for the first time last year and it was great.

vCash

What is evident is that we missed having TA and Rowdey setting the table. That shows up in the reduced RBI's. Even as good as RJ & Hines have been, they doesn't measure up to TA & Rowdey's OBP at the top of the lineup.
    Couple that with not replacing Dubrule's production and those 3 holes will kill a line up.
    Good post. The returners actually performed pretty good. Even the new guys - Yeager, Hines, etc. The real killer was pitching which everyone knows. Our pitching last year was special. NCAA record Ks in season. Set several records in CWS. Good depth and just shutdown performances from all over. Oh and the best closer in baseball. That is a formula to win a NC. We got none of that this year after injuries.

vCash

What was Hancocks batting average with RISP this year vs last?

vCash
    No idea. What is your point now?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Rock View Post
    Let's see ---

1) won a national championship a year ago in baseball - have some nice pieces but team needs tweaking for sure to be competitive. Thing is, we still have the coaches in place that got that title, no reason think they can't do it again.

2) Have two new HC in Womens and Mens basketball and both seem to be doing well in shaping up a roster for next year and the mens' HC has taken teams to the dance and won games at places with way less resources.

3) Leach's system should be maturing with a seasoned QB with probably the best defense he has ever had. It's make or break year for him to show this can be done. Should be exciting whichever way it goes

4) Track, Golf, Tenniss, Volleyball, Softball are all doing better than I can remember. I am sure someone will point out where I am wrong but everytime I turn around I see one of those getting headlines.

This is more a you thing. It happens, I go through times where life is not about sports for me too but Mississippi State sports is not in a bad way. In fact, I think the future is bright.
    After saying this, you make the previous post look like the most Karen post ever. Repped

vCash
    We certainly have a potential for a big upswing in sports starting with football. Whether we live up to that potential is another story. I think if we get to 9 wins whether it?s with a bowl game or not, that?s a successful season. 8 wins is average and anything below that will be disappointing. I would almost rather have LSU and UK at home this year than UGA and aTm because we most likely won?t beat either of those anyway.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PGHBulldogBG View Post
    We certainly have a potential for a big upswing in sports starting with football. Whether we live up to that potential is another story. I think if we get to 9 wins whether it?s with a bowl game or not, that?s a successful season. 8 wins is average and anything below that will be disappointing. I would almost rather have LSU and UK at home this year than UGA and aTm because we most likely won?t beat either of those anyway.
    We beat A&M as much as we beat anyone in the conference. That game is a tossup almost every year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    We beat A&M as much as we beat anyone in the conference. That game is a tossup almost every year.
    Yeah, I still don't understand anyone writing off that game. As long as Jimbo is there that game will likely be competitive (cue MS7 post about how awesome Jimbo is and how now he has a QB, yada yada yada).
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    After saying this, you make the previous post look like the most Karen post ever. Repped
    "Karen post"? haha. ok.

My apathy has 50% to do with the performance of the MSU athletic program and 50% to do with current trends in portal use and recruiting.

College sports used to be about a student of your favorite school who was competing on the field and representing your school because they were PART of your school. Committed. 100% part of the student body. Now I see mercenaries just like pro-sports. Going to the highest bidder. Good for them for making that money but I think it kills the spirit of what college sports was meant to be. Of course, that spirit has been dying for a while now. Now, I rarely learn the names of players because I know many will be moving on within a year or two.

This combined with the poor performance of basketball and baseball. Coupled with mediocre results in football and egg bowl losses. In addition to the weird Covid season and everything that went along with that just kind of got me out of it all. I'm sure it has a lot to do with getting into my 40's and watching family members die over the past couple of years and through that finding joy in other places and (not to sounds overly dramatic) discovering the importance a family time and memories outside of athletics. It's a confluence of all of that and many people that I used to go to games with feel the same way now. It's hard to get a big group together to go anymore. Even to get together and watch it at home is difficult now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PGHBulldogBG View Post
    Prepare to be disappointed, if we get to 8 wins, Leech should be coach of the year. My expectations are 7 wins. Will needs to take a huge step this season, not from a stats standpoint, but from a big play standpoint, like not taking a sack at the worst time or running for 2 yards on 4th and 1 late in the game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandjunky View Post
    Injuries have nothing to do with the inability to throw strikes and compete on the mound

For example, if you go take a gander at Fristoe?s PG profile, you will see he walked as many batters as he K?d

Yes, electric stuff but wouldn?t that tell you it will be exasperated in the SEC where you don?t need a boat paddle to hit like with PG

We may work on command in bullpens but the stats bear out the staff as whole has poor command
    What a sorry bs post!!!!!!!! Honestly, what did you expect from Fristoe?????????

vCash
    Apathy is probably mostly to do with your age. At least it is for me....then the other 50% is NIL, schools involvement in politics, prices...combo of it all together.

The other 50%.... I've become aware with age and experience the hierarchy of college football. We pretty much know the outcome of the big games.

vCash
    I truly don't understand the apathy for Mississippi State. Sure, It's right after loosing four straight at baseball, losing the Egg Bowl and Bowl game in football and then Howland's teams never seemed to live up to the talent. But WBB was inspiring what those 7 players did with an interim coach and all those other side teams I mentioned seem to be improving. Maybe people just need some time to decompress. I can name lots reasons why Football, baseball and both BB teams have a bright future but:

I do get the apathy for sports in general. Trust me, there have been years of my life I didn't even watch a game or even know who played in the Super Bowl or even our bowl opponent or even whether we had one, much less attend any events. I lost my wife to heart disease in 2008 after a three year battle with heart troubles and my daughter to cancer in 2019, throw in numerous other life thingy's and sports are just a fodder. It's entertainment. I have a healthy understanding of where sports belong in my life. It can be a nice distraction.

The NIL monies mean nothing to me. Why? It's always been that way. There were the have's and the have not's and State is more of a have right now than at any other time of my life. SEC monies are making a difference.

The portal? I think they will have to dial that back somewhat but in the meantime, State has really gotten better players than we have lost.

vCash
    It starts and stops at the top. We have been headed down overall for a few years.