Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I?ve never been so apathetic

vCash

I?ve never been so apathetic

Towards MSU sports.

I think this is the first time I?ve even looked at the message board or state athletics media in about a month (maybe more). I don’t think I’ve actively watched state sports since the egg bowl and I only halfway watched it. I hope the rest of the fanbase isn?t feeling half the way I am about it. Really hoping football season changes that.

First time in 30 years I?ve been like this. Trying to get reinvigorated but?.meh?
    Last edited by Dawgology; 05-11-2022 at 09:34 PM.

vCash
    #spoilt

FFS...

vCash
    Let's see ---

1) won a national championship a year ago in baseball - have some nice pieces but team needs tweaking for sure to be competitive. Thing is, we still have the coaches in place that got that title, no reason think they can't do it again.

2) Have two new HC in Womens and Mens basketball and both seem to be doing well in shaping up a roster for next year and the mens' HC has taken teams to the dance and won games at places with way less resources.

3) Leach's system should be maturing with a seasoned QB with probably the best defense he has ever had. It's make or break year for him to show this can be done. Should be exciting whichever way it goes

4) Track, Golf, Tenniss, Volleyball, Softball are all doing better than I can remember. I am sure someone will point out where I am wrong but everytime I turn around I see one of those getting headlines.

This is more a you thing. It happens, I go through times where life is not about sports for me too but Mississippi State sports is not in a bad way. In fact, I think the future is bright.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Rock View Post
    Let's see ---

1) won a national championship a year ago in baseball - have some nice pieces but team needs tweaking for sure to be competitive. Thing is, we still have the coaches in place that got that title, no reason think they can't do it again.

2) Have two new HC in Womens and Mens basketball and both seem to be doing well in shaping up a roster for next year and the mens' HC has taken teams to the dance and won games at places with way less resources.

3) Leach's system should be maturing with a seasoned QB with probably the best defense he has ever had. It's make or break year for him to show this can be done. Should be exciting whichever way it goes

4) Track, Golf, Tenniss, Volleyball, Softball are all doing better than I can remember. I am sure someone will point out where I am wrong but everytime I turn around I see one of those getting headlines.

This is more a you thing. It happens, I go through times where life is not about sports for me too but Mississippi State sports is not in a bad way. In fact, I think the future is bright.
    Since I can't rep this I will simply say GOOD POST
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Let's see ---

Truth.
    I'm frustrated as hell with the baseball team but haven't forgotten or soured on what those coaches did last year.

Just going to make it a loooong summer likely with no baseball team playing in just a few weeks.

vCash
    You're like a lot of the fan base right now (lower than whale shit on the bottom of the ocean). Good thing you haven't been watching because the basketball and baseball teams sure as heck wouldn't have helped your morale. The baseball season is the kicker for me. I'm used to the inconsistency in the football and basketball programs but baseball is a special thing at MSU and while we've had the occasional bad season here and there this year is especially frustrating given last years run and the potential this team had.
    Last edited by Saltydog; 05-12-2022 at 08:16 AM.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Let's see ---

1. a .500 season a year after winning the NC is cause enough to be apathetic towards the baseball team this year. Someone asked the question recently and I haven't been able to find the answer but has there ever been another team to have as bad a season after winning a NC? It's such an anomaly I wouldn't blame those wondering if Lemonis and co can do it again.

2. Men's basketball is the one sport at State where one would have great reason to be apathetic. We don't necessarily have a history of winning here and the last decade or so has been pretty hard to watch. It's interesting though that the reason given for optimism is the same one some of us were saying about Leach.

3. Football is about the only sport I'm looking forward to and it's because of Leach. I think he can win here but even if we don't have the year we want I love watching the pressers.

4. I don't keep up with those and I imagine most couldn't tell you what those sports have been doing. Not taking away from the point but most people don't follow MSU for track.

I think you have a point about life though. I definitely have lost some interest in sports as a whole over the last 5 or so years. I'm not as fanatic as I used to be and although I don't post as much as others but I've been checking ED for the "news" many times a day religiously for nearly a decade and I don't do that as much anymore either.
    Last edited by Matt3467; 05-12-2022 at 09:01 AM.

vCash
    From 1976-2007 State did not have 1 losing baseball season.

Then we had 3 straight thanks to Polk's stopping recruiting off campus and crashing in 2008. 2008, 2009, 2010 as Cohen had to rebuild. Then we had 2015's hiccup
    Now 2022.

31 straight winning seasons to now 5 losing seasons in the last 15. With only 5 seasons in the last 41 years- its understandable if people are down and concerned.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    What sports are we finishing in top half of SEC for sports year fall21/Spring 22?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post

Then we had 3 straight thanks to Polk's stopping recruiting off campus and crashing in 2008. 2008, 2009, 2010 as Cohen had to rebuild. Then we had 2015's hiccup
    Now 2022.

31 straight winning seasons to now 5 losing seasons in the last 15. With only 5 seasons in the last 41 years- its understandable if people are down and concerned.
    Concern sure, but apathetic or not caring is more about each individual. Personal thoughts about where each team is headed is always an issue. The portal and NIL monies throw it in our face that we are a have not program but that was always the case. That's not new. I

I think basketball has made two good hires and both roster are starting to shape up a bit. That is exciting to me.

Then football is in one of those years that could unite the sunshine pumpers like me and the doom and gloomers to go one way or the other with Leach. He has to prove it can work now. Let's see which way it goes.

To me, it's exciting times even in baseball. Sure, they underperformed this year but there are some really nice young talented players on that team and Lemonis just won a title last year. It's always a challenge to win in the SEC but never more than now. Baseball was a an afterthought most places for a lot of those 31 straight winning seasons, which made it easier back then in my opinion. It's a long summer ahead, I intend to play a lot more golf. Maybe the fall will be better, I hope so.

vCash
    Guys i am telling you i have been following MSU sports since 1968 i am pretty good now in my premonitions on the teams before they start. I have a very good feeling about the football team and i think the men's and women's basketball teams will be greatly improved. Many underestimate the effect coaching has... see Alabama pre-Saban. the new basketball coaches will succeed here and i know Leach will have a great season this year and will continue to build on that. you gloom and doomers need to get some cannabis gummies and chill out.. HAIL 17ING STATE!

vCash
    Let's see ---

1)baseball gets a pass this year. It was going to be down anyway but the injuries to the pitching staff put it WAY down.
    2) wait and see mode for me. Show me something and I'll get excited. I won't till it happens.
    3) will struggle to have a winning season. I don't see us being much better than last year, if any, and the schedule is harder for sure.
    4) I don't care one way or the other.

vCash

Now 2022.

We didn?t have real SEC TV money during that timeframe. No reason with that money now we shouldn?t be a top 25-30 program in all our sports and Top 10 Baseball annually.

vCash
    1. Yes, a year ago we won a NC but we are like the Montreal Canadiens of college baseball. We fell far and hard.

2. Nothing proven yet with men’s and women’s basketball so all subjective at this point. Can say it is good that we have more than seven players on the womens team now.

3. Again nothing proven with football at this point. All hope and dreams. Leach apparently is all in with Will Rogers and sure hope that works out for his sake.

4. Let’s be honest. Not many of us really care about tennis, softball, etc etc. But there’s nothing amazing going on there anyway.

vCash
    If Lemonjuice doesn't get baseball straightened out, I'm not overly concerned as I think we can get a coach who can get us back on track (it is easy to win in Starkvegas). I'm most concerned about football, i renewed season tickets, but have my doubts that Leach can win more 6-7 games a year, he doesn't seem willing to change and we know that adapting is important in football (kind of reminds me of Joe Lee Dunn). We seem to be falling behind UM, Ark and Kentucky, we have to at least stay even with those three.

Seeing us fall apart after the natty, makes what Saban and Belicheat do (keep coming back and competing at a high level year after year of winning championships) even more impressive. The focus and fire they have to maintain in themselves, their staff and team, it is just incredible.
    Last edited by viverlibre; 05-12-2022 at 11:16 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    We didn?t have real SEC TV money during that timeframe. No reason with that money now we shouldn?t be a top 25-30 program in all our sports and Top 10 Baseball annually.
    So what exactly should be done currently that isn't already employed from an athletic department view? I will hang up and listen.

vCash
    Let's see ---

Dang good post.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
    If Lemonjuice doesn't get baseball straightened out, I'm not overly concerned as I think we can get a coach who can get us back on track (it is easy to win in Starkvegas). I'm most concerned about football, i renewed season tickets, but have my doubts that Leach can win more 6-7 games a year, he doesn't seem willing to change and we know that adapting is important in football (kind of reminds me of Joe Lee Dunn). We seem to be falling behind UM, Ark and Kentucky, we have to at least stay even with those three.

Seeing us fall apart after the natty, makes what Saban and Belicheat do (keep coming back and competing at a high level year after year of winning championships) even more impressive. The focus and fire they have to maintain in themselves, their staff and team, it is just incredible.
    Steve posted an article yesterday that said of the 74 CWS winners, 29 failed to make post season the following year.
    Looking at the winners in the past 20 years, after winning in 2006 and 2007 Oregon State finished 2008 at 28-24; Fresno State in 2008 followed up with a 34-30 record in '09; after beating us in 2013 UCLA went 25-30-1.
    So having a down year is not unusual at all.

This season was a let down for sure. I think something we forget in our perspective as fans is that we built a team that barring COVID would have had a 4 year CWS run - something that has only been done by 1 other SEC school (Florida 2015-2018) and only 11 schools total.

I know we all want to have a juggernaut program that never has down years - but I think a lot of what we dealt with this season is the cumulative impact of the uncertainty and coaching turnover between Cohen and Lemonis. The fact that our team stayed highly competitive during all that speaks volumes about the program overall. We had a down season in '15 that propelled us to greater heights then we had seen in a long time, hopefully this season helps kick us to the next level beyond that.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Injuries have nothing to do with the inability to throw strikes and compete on the mound

For example, if you go take a gander at Fristoe?s PG profile, you will see he walked as many batters as he K?d

Yes, electric stuff but wouldn?t that tell you it will be exasperated in the SEC where you don?t need a boat paddle to hit like with PG

We may work on command in bullpens but the stats bear out the staff as whole has poor command

vCash

Now 2022.

Interesting stat definitely. Another thing to think about is that from 1976-1996 MSU, LSU, and occasionally Arkansas were the only baseball programs in this conference that gave one iota of a crap about the sport. Yea there were programs like Auburn, Georgia, and Tennessee that were respectable and might bottle a 2-3 year run but no sustainability. From 96-present look what has happened. Bianco got it rolling in Oxford, Corbin built a machine in Nashville, McMahon, Lopez, and O?Sullivan got Florida on the map, Polk and Dave Perno got UGA going again, and now Vitello has built the next monster. Add into that A&M coming into the league and this is what you get. The days of us waltzing into Lindsey Nelson or Foley Field or Swayze and winning 2 of 3 because the name on the front of our jersey are long gone.

I am not in any way saying that this season is not concerning, because it is. But people that are saying this should not happen just because we are Mississippi State need to adjust their thinking. This is exactly what happens when you A) lazily recruit(Polk II) or B) recruit/evaluate and develop incorrectly(2015 and 2022). You have to recruit the portal and evaluate high school talent better than ever nowadays. The margin for error is razor thin and with Texas coming in that margin will get even smaller. I mean think what one relief pitcher does for this team. We have at least 10 more wins.