Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looks like we have started restructuring the signing class

vCash

Looks like we have started restructuring the signing class

For baseball. Saw on the other board that a couple kids from an academy and Fancher won?t be coming to State.

vCash
    So you have to start recruiting kids in the 8th grade to get them on your college baseball team, but we can drop guys at the last moment? Who do you replace them with if you have to recruit that long?

I'm not against dropping anyone BTW... I just want a team that isn't 103rd in Rpi

vCash
    It's what needs to be done.

We've got to do a better job of evaluating. You don't win in this league by taking borderline players. Our Juco evaluations have been bad too. If you look at our JUCO players, there might be 2 who are talented enough to be on an SEC roster. I'm sorry, but Leggett, Skinner, Seibert, Corder, Tullar, Stinnett, Talley won't cut it. Throw Walling in there too even though he's a little different. Gotta do a better job of evaluating and getting better players in here.

vCash
    One- Linc Sheffield has been committed to Hinds for awhile now. Maybe a month or two.

Fancher went to this swing guru in St Louis that works with Aaron Judge who basically teaches an uppercut swing and thinks he knows more than anyone else about hitting. I think that messed him up honestly.

The third one if it's who I think you are talking about- Colton Bradley- has had some injuries this year from what I've heard. That one may be more speculation. We'll see.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    So you have to start recruiting kids in the 8th grade to get them on your college baseball team, but we can drop guys at the last moment? Who do you replace them with if you have to recruit that long?

I'm not against dropping anyone BTW... I just want a team that isn't 103rd in Rpi
    Yep. And you'll be the first one bitching about them when they aren't producing here too.

They're going to be replaced with transfers from the portal probably.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    It's what needs to be done.

We've got to do a better job of evaluating. You don't win in this league by taking borderline players. Our Juco evaluations have been bad too. If you look at our JUCO players, there might be 2 who are talented enough to be on an SEC roster. I'm sorry, but Leggett, Skinner, Seibert, Corder, Tullar, Stinnett, Talley won't cut it. Throw Walling in there too even though he's a little different. Gotta do a better job of evaluating and getting better players in here.
    I think JUCO ball is going to take a hit because of the portal. Why go to Hinds, Meridian, etc when you can go to USM and if you perform there potentially transfer to MSU? You'll be playing against much better competition and can show what you can do against SEC teams.

So even less reason to even look there for talent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Yep. And you'll be the first one bitching about them when they aren't producing here too.

They're going to be replaced with transfers from the portal probably.
    I'm good with replacing them in the portal. Once you go heavy with portal guys though, doesn't that pretty much become your path going forward? If you go portal, you lose those guys quickly, and you don't really have quality young players bc you went with experience. Not saying this is a bad thing...

vCash
    I'm good with replacing them in the portal. Once you go heavy with portal guys though, doesn't that pretty much become your path going forward? If you go portal, you lose those guys quickly, and you don't really have quality young players bc you went with experience. Not saying this is a bad thing...
    For us I think it's a short term fix. Our 2023 class and 2024 class are both significantly better than our current one. We have no choice based on what we are losing unless we want to suffer through a disaster of a season again. We're caught up between COVID eligibility rules and changing four coaches in four years. I suspect we will be targeting older players from the portal- see RJ Yeager which won't affect the newcomers from 2024 going forward very much if at all.

vCash
    I'll also add- I don't think we're going to add as many players from the portal as some fans think. We'll get some recruits we don't expect in and some players back that we don't expect. That's going to have to be somewhat settled before we even look at the portal.

vCash
    And one more thing- our recruiting classes are changing. A lot more out of state players. A lot more higher end players. I suspect we'll see much fewer JUCO players too for a variety of reasons.

The anticipated scholarship changes are going to allow us to go after bigger fish and keep more of them. Possibly top 51-200 draft prospect players and keep them. Yes it will benefit everyone in the SEC too. But we'll be recruiting on a much more level playing field than before.

vCash
    One- Linc Sheffield has been committed to Hinds for awhile now. Maybe a month or two.

Fancher went to this swing guru in St Louis that works with Aaron Judge who basically teaches an uppercut swing and thinks he knows more than anyone else about hitting. I think that messed him up honestly.

The third one if it's who I think you are talking about- Colton Bradley- has had some injuries this year from what I've heard. That one may be more speculation. We'll see.
    That guy is the biggest idiot in baseball, and that says a lot. But he's an entertaining Twitter follow.

vCash
    Look, if kids have to be offered so early, they better be prepared to be dropped when they suck. Just how it works. Being the biggest kid peters out after about 13. I know of at least two I expect to be dropped within the next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Look, if kids have to be offered so early, they better be prepared to be dropped when they suck.
    My kids are Football/basketball- not baseball. But there's no way in hell I'd let them commit before their Jr year in HS at the earliest. People just dont have alot of sense these days. Few players know where they want to go in the 9th grade. Hell, they cant even decide on what to eat at their next meal yet.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    My kids are Football/basketball- not baseball. But there's no way in hell I'd let them commit before their Jr year in HS at the earliest. People just dont have alot of sense these days. Few players know where they want to go in the 9th grade. Hell, they cant even decide on what to eat at their next meal yet.
    I have always wondered why kids were recruited so early in baseball and why with a few exceptions no one really flips their commitment. I wonder if as the popularity of the sport grows that will change. I know there is a gentleman's agreement there with baseball recruiting for a lot of people but if my job depends on players then I'm not worried about that sort of thing.

vCash
    I know this is how it's done in baseball, but could you imagine having to call 14-year-olds begging them to come to your school? Damn, I hate the thought of older kids, but middle schoolers! Baseball recruiting sucks.

vCash
    It's that way in baseball and softball. It's damn ridiculous. But the NCAA tried to stop it with "official offer" dates and contact limitations that didn't slow it down. Kids have to know it's meaningless. Funny thing is, the coaches complain about it too, but they still take these commitments.
    Last edited by Cooterpoot; 05-11-2022 at 09:30 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    I have always wondered why kids were recruited so early in baseball and why with a few exceptions no one really flips their commitment. I wonder if as the popularity of the sport grows that will change.
    Doesn't baseball operate on the honor system of not recruiting a committed player? If so, just another reason why baseball recruiting sucks. I'd piss off the whole conference if I were a coach, I'd recruit whoever I wanted till they sign

vCash
    I keep seeing people say that we are going to get players back that we did not expect and I will be honest, outside of 9-10 guys I would prefer to blow up whatever this is. We need 5-6 pitchers out of the portal and 5-6 position players. I have been saying it for 3 weeks and the last 6 games have proven my thinking. If we roll any iteration of this team out there next year we will be no better, and probably much worse. This team is broken, and honestly they just are not very talented. Potential does not mean a damn thing if that potential is never realized.

vCash
    I know this is how it's done in baseball, but could you imagine having to call 14-year-olds begging them to come to your school? Damn, I hate the thought of older kids, but middle schoolers! Baseball recruiting sucks.
    I'm a year away from having to deal with AAU basketball. I'm really dreading that BS. Had to be the postman to father this giant

Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    I'll also add- I don't think we're going to add as many players from the portal as some fans think. We'll get some recruits we don't expect in and some players back that we don't expect. That's going to have to be somewhat settled before we even look at the portal.
    Correct. We are going to hit the portal, but it's not going to be some outlandish number. Scholarship $ becomes a factor as well.