Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Lemonis...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Falcon View Post
    And the MVP of the College World Series last year was a Lemonis recruit.
    He was awesome. Let's find some more bc this team is an abomination

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    What is our record if Sims is healthy?
    In the SEC we're 4-4 on Fridays. We scored 2 or less runs in all 4 losses so I'm gonna say he would not have made much of a difference there. Now, move him to Saturday and I think we would have seen some wins. UGA L 11-12, UPIG L 5-12, LSU L 3-4, Mizzou L 8-19. I think we at least win the UGA and Mizzou games with a good chance of also getting the LSU game. Maybe the UPIG game too if things played out like they actually did. They got 8 of their 12 in the first 3 innings. That wouldn't have happened with Sims. Of course with Sims back, PJ could have been long relief for Cade if needed on Sundays. That could have prevented some late inning meltdowns like we saw this year. He seemed to perform better in that role last year than as a starter this year.

vCash
    We should?ve never moved him out of the closer roll. How many games have we blown this year because we have blown it late in the game?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CJDAWG85 View Post
    We should?ve never moved him out of the closer roll. How many games have we blown this year because we have blown it late in the game?
    It may be earlier in this thread but somebody posted the other day that last year we gave up something like 51 8th and 9th inning runs in 68 games. In 48 games this year we have already given up 80.

vCash
    His elbow would've blown closer or not.

vCash
    I counted like 10-12 games this year. Big swing in the record with Sims coming in late.

vCash
    It wouldn?t been gone in week 3.

vCash
    It wouldn?t been gone in week 3.
    No it may have been gone sooner than that! Closing is more stressful on an arm than relieving because it's max effort on every pitch

vCash
    Losing Simmons was as big a blow as Sims because he was our closer and he was showing dominance.

vCash
    We used him once a weekend last year.

vCash
    If we go 0-7 in this last stretch, which is entirely possible, we will see a change somewhere. My money would be on it being Gautreau. Foxhall has a built in excuse, although development, or lack there of, of Tepper, Fristoe, Tullar, Stinnett, etc. falls on his shoulders. Also, Lemonis hired Foxhall so he will be more loyal to him.

vCash
    Fristoe has to go. Dude is a headcase.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    If we go 0-7 in this last stretch, which is entirely possible, we will see a change somewhere. My money would be on it being Gautreau. Foxhall has a built in excuse, although development, or lack there of, of Tepper, Fristoe, Tullar, Stinnett, etc. falls on his shoulders. Also, Lemonis hired Foxhall so he will be more loyal to him.
    Gautreau needs to go.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjoelner34 View Post
    In the SEC we're 4-4 on Fridays. We scored 2 or less runs in all 4 losses so I'm gonna say he would not have made much of a difference there. Now, move him to Saturday and I think we would have seen some wins. UGA L 11-12, UPIG L 5-12, LSU L 3-4, Mizzou L 8-19. I think we at least win the UGA and Mizzou games with a good chance of also getting the LSU game. Maybe the UPIG game too if things played out like they actually did. They got 8 of their 12 in the first 3 innings. That wouldn't have happened with Sims. Of course with Sims back, PJ could have been long relief for Cade if needed on Sundays. That could have prevented some late inning meltdowns like we saw this year. He seemed to perform better in that role last year than as a starter this year.
    In an alternate universe- Sims, Simmons, and Auger do not get hurt. What does that mean...

100 + 50 + 40 = 190 innings are thrown by pitchers with sub 3 ERAs. That is 30% of the load in a good season.

That would have allowed PJ, Cade, Pico, BSmith, and KC Hunt handle the rest of the SEC load. There would not be so many +8 ERA guys running out of the pen to stop LSU in key moments. Certain cats we have would not have pitched many non SWAC innings this year.

MSU would be heading into this weekend with a shot to be a national seed. Needing 3 wins from 6 games to clinch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    From the outside looking in I think IF anyone is fired it will be either Foxhall or both Foxhall and Gautreau. I know he hired Foxhall but I don't think he is going to run our team like Dan Mullen. His pitching coach at Indiana was Kyle Bunn who had SEC experience at Ole Miss and Alabama and he didn't bring him along. I know it was recommended to Lemonis to keep Gautreau but I don't think anyone would have stood in the way if he wanted to hire someone else. FWIW and I'm not saying this to start anything because in context it's not really that big of a deal but I have noticed Lemonis very vocally saying things to Foxhall in the dugout like "You're going to take him out right?" Now that's certainly in game stress communication but I do think that it indicates that Foxhall isn't exactly a sacred cow either where Lemonis is going to just give him a complete pass.

Statistically our pitching has been way worse. Yes, because of injuries being the root of it- but at the same time are those injuries occurring because of Foxhall's program? Maybe and maybe not but it does need to be looked at. Then you have the lack of pitcher development. Fristoe is worse than last year. He should be pitching like Cade Smith is now. Our pitching mechanics are very inconsistent across the board. And this isn't really a one year deal. Eric Cerentola was not developed at all. He's now with the Royals and his control is markedly better. Andrew Walling and Parker Stinnett were top 200 MLB draft prospects that never developed and both have literally fallen off of the face of the Earth. And then the staff management has been awful all year long too. This whole funk started when he decided to "save pitchers" to try to win SEC games and he ended up pitching our shortstop and then that weekend we barely used Pico and didn't use Fristoe at all. Even with an injury riddled staff that's not how you manage in baseball. And this ridiculous idea that our top guys can only pitch once a week is absurd. If you throw 20 pitches on Friday or Saturday a relief pitcher should be available for the next game. And he has done things like that before but it got glossed over because we had Landon Sims who literally no coach can screw up usage wise or Cole Gordon. Let's not forget him throwing Trysten Barlow and Riley Self instead of Colby White against Vanderbilt in a situation where we absolutely had to have a strike out. That was a big reason eliminated from Omaha that year IMO. Almost happened last year when we brought in Stinnett instead of Sims against Texas and lost late. And while it didn't cost us the National Championship last year not developing Cerentola may have cost us a SEC title. Not developing Walling and others at all this year probably will cost us at least a winning season. I'm afraid he will get a pass this year because of injuries but the reality is there is a lot of nonsense going on right now with our pitching staff and he's at the root of it. And I can't believe we couldn't do better. He overextends starting pitchers- it's like they go six innings come hell or high water. Then the next guy goes 2 no matter what. And then the 9th has to go to someone else even if the guy pitching before was in a groove. Unless it's maybe KC Hunt. And then I haven't even gotten into the predictable pitch calling which is so basic I'm even hesitant to compare it to high school level.

https://www.milb.com/player/eric-cerantola-672021

Gautreau on the other hand the only reason I can think of logically from a baseball perspective for letting him go would be if we wanted to change our recruiting philosophy or we're just unhappy with that aspect of what he does. Which is possible. It's also a lot more correctable with a meeting. But I don't think we can fire him totally for performance as a hitting coach. The offense we have functions as it is built. We're among the top teams in home runs and runs scored. My gosh he has turned Lane Forsythe from the college version of Mario Mendoza into a decent hitter. Most of our hitters unlike our pitchers have improved from last year. We can complain about RISP but again I think that's correctable from a recruiting philosophy standpoint to a degree at least. That also gets magnified more when we lose even if we score 8 runs because "there was that one point in the game where if we had come through we win. Gee we're so bad in the clutch." Nevermind the 9 runs that the pitching allowed.

But logically unless there is something going on in the clubhouse between Lemonis and Gautreau that I'm unaware of I don't see how we could fire Gautreau and keep Foxhall.

vCash
    There's a reason there's about to be some player turnover. It's called taking too damn many developmental players. Our recruiting has been crap. You're about to see recruits dropped too because they aren't good enough. Our evaluation hasn't been good enough.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    There's a reason there's about to be some player turnover. It's called taking too damn many developmental players. Our recruiting has been crap. You're about to see recruits dropped too because they aren't good enough. Our evaluation hasn't been good enough.
    It’s already happening. There are 3 I know of off the top of my head. Also, there is a rumor that Memphis is coming after Gotro as head coach. Now I doubt he would take it, but there are rumbling up this way…

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    If we suck at player evaluation, we're in trouble

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    If we suck at player evaluation, we're in trouble
    I personally feel that this is a major issue.

vCash
    Great post Tood. Especially this point "there was that one point in the game where if we had come through we win. Gee we're so bad in the clutch." Nevermind the 9 runs that the pitching allowed."