Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lemonis...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I don't see how he can turn it around next year. I just don't get how the more this becomes lemonis' team, the worse we're getting.
    Most of these players were recruited by Cannizarro. So, it's still not really his team. I'd say based on Will Bednar and Hunter Hines getting his recruits in may be a positive.

Quote Originally Posted by MafiaDawg View Post
    Never thought I would have said this but you can not go into next season with the same players and same approach as this season. When things turn out to be a disaster like this, changes have to be made. And no I?m not talking about the coach, yet.
    You're exactly right. I think the root of the problem is our coaches are way too hands off. They just want to fill out a lineup card and let the boys play. Can't do that with college players unless you have enough that are advanced to handle it like we had last year with Sims, Tanner, and Rowdey.

Foxhall always has our starter go 6 IP come hell or high water and then the next go throws 2 IP no matter what and then no matter what we're bringing someone else out for the 9th. He has done an AWFUL job this year and I'm pissed off at him just thinking about some of the stupid shit I've seen. Leaving starters in too long. Letting pitchers who have been blown apart have multiple opportunities while others sit. Pitching the ****ing shortstop while Fristoe doesn't even pitch that week and Pico throws 13 pitches. Our pitchers mechanics are inconsistent- leading to walks and bombs. He doesn't have a good feel for the game at all. Rarely makes a mound visit even when guys are getting blown apart- just leaves them in to figure it out. That's not coaching. That's just half assed.

Gautreau is the same as just letting them do their own thing at the plate. We could hit 100 lazy fly balls and all he does is have them bump their chest twice like some magic genie is going to pop out of there. Same thing as Foxhall- he has to COACH the hitters instead of sitting on his ass and expecting them to do something. Use a line drive approach. Especially when guys are struggling. And then his recruiting screwed us because he kept getting power hitters and hasn't really gone after anyone that has a high OBP for the MIF/CF spots. Which hurts the offense further because we can't do any of the small ball stuff to manufacture runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Activated Alpha View Post
    Baseball is a different beast. Lemonis will shoulder the blame for the abysmal season this year and he will if next year is just as bad. However, look at baseball coaches around the league. They have been there for a long time and are given time to work. He will be here a while, but he needs to go into the off season with the intent of pushing the coaches and players to their limits. No more inflated egos after this season. I want to see our players improve
    We're about to find out how much Lemonis really wants to win or if he has his head up his ass. I may be giving the benefit of the doubt but I think he wants to win.

Vitello won 50 in year 4, and he's doing even better in year 5. Can we at miss state not expect similar results or does our coach need 6 years to get the program to the level where he found it?
    So far Lemonis has been more successful than Vitello in one less year. And yeah I get that we were a better situation. But Tennessee also didn't have to change four coaches in four years either. That hurts recruiting- and it's part of the problem right now too. Probably moreso next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranchdawg View Post
    IMO Foxhall and especially Gotro had better fix pitching and hitting. The approach and the swing at the plate has not been adjusted one damn bit since day one of the season. We are the same horrible hitting team that started the season. A coach should be able to tweak a batters swing ever so slightly to make better contact with the ball.

I?m angry at this team for their lack of attitude. They are a embarrassment to a lot of former players that wore the M over S. This series Florida shoved up our back hole and made us like it. That is unacceptable!
    You're right about the assistants but I don't fault the players as much when they aren't being coached.

Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    This thing is going to go one of two ways. This is either an Arkansas in 2016 type outlier or Lemonis is the baseball Gene Chizik. I hope it is the former and he rights the ship like DVH.
    Probably more Dave Van Horn.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Y'all need to back away from the ledge. It's a bad year. Coach ain't going anywhere. Nobody is unless they get a HC job.
    Well I hope Lemonis tells Foxhall to put his resume' out then. If those two stay they better get off their ass and start coaching these players. And we need to redefine how we build our team. Lemonis isn't on the hot seat- I agree. But right now Foxhall and Gautreau will be. Our fans and our AD is not going to allow MSU baseball to be mediocre for long without making some kind of change. And those two will be gone before Lemonis.

Quote Originally Posted by Activated Alpha View Post
    Now I will say this. I am pissed Lemonis did not get tossed last night in the 9th. That ump deserved to have a new ear hole
    I agree. Would be nice if Lemonis would have at least gotten ejected last night. It's a bad look that he didn't honestly. Our season is on the line and we're going to let the Ump Show dictate the outcome while we sit our ass on a bucket? Weak optics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Remember he pinch hit for Leggett a couple of weeks ago with none other than VS... leggett is the most clutch hitter we have
    Yeah that was dumb. But remember the reason why Leggett was in the lineup was because we had to save pitchers for Mizzou so we "had to" pitch our shortstop which took his bat and glove out of the lineup? And then we didn't even use two of our best relievers while we lost the series.

That was a textbook exhibit A example of why you manage the game in the present and don't worry about saving or holding pitchers back. If you run out of pitching you run out of pitching but you don't concede games to try to win others. Baseball is way too unpredictable to do that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    of course he's not going anywhere. Is anyone saying differently?
    And his seat isn't even remotely warm, and we got people saying he's on the clock? LOL
    Not one coach on that staff is on the hot seat.

vCash
    Nobody is saying he should be fired NOW, so no need for the "step away from the ledge" and "chill out" posts. BUT, this is not a program that is accustomed to missing the postseason, so he needs to figure it out or his seat will heat up quick next year. In the day and age of the portal, there is no excuse for two bad years in a row with our stadium, atmosphere, fans, and coming off of a National Championship. No Excuse. So again, he's safe now, but he needs to right the ship in a big way next season.

And if we don't see a total youth movement to end the season, I will question if he's the man for the job long term. You have got to find out who can get it done, and you might as well start now. Zero reason not to.
    Last edited by CadaverDawg; 05-08-2022 at 05:41 PM.

vCash
    Y'all need to back away from the ledge. It's a bad year. Coach ain't going anywhere. Nobody is unless they get a HC job.
    No one said any different

vCash
    Polk missed postseason 9 times and Cohen 3 times. Let's not pretend we haven't missed some postseason here and there. Hell, Lemonis hasn't even missed a CWS until this year. Two full seasons, two CWS. Had a damn good team in the Covid year too. Only coach with a Natty. Y'all getting crazy. We aren't the AL of college baseball or something.
    We'll bring in some people and see how it goes. We'll be young/inexperienced depth wise. We basically missed one year of recruiting due to the Canz crap putting behind. That year has to be corrected with good portal guys. Problem is, the baseball portal isn't the same as the football portal where AL can go get a good player from LSU. We won't go get a 5 star transfer that can just be our ace.
    Last edited by Cooterpoot; 05-08-2022 at 05:51 PM.

vCash
    I expect a good offseason in the portal. Or at least we better have one. We need legit hitters and pitchers. Because right now, we don't have any.

I'm of the opinion that we'll have addition by subtraction with some of our current guys moving on. Some of our "leaders" have good numbers and will always be legends for winning a national title last year, but they've completely dropped the ball as leaders this year.

And Cadaver is right. Lemonis has to play Aaron Downs, Slate Alford, and any younger guy with a pulse. There's no reason Luke Hancock and Kam James should be taking ABs away from someone who could help us next year.

vCash
    Polk missed postseason 9 times and Cohen 3 times. Let's not pretend we haven't missed some postseason here and there. Hell, Lemonis hasn't even missed a CWS until this year. Two full seasons, two CWS. Had a damn good team in the Covid year too. Only coach with a Natty. Y'all getting crazy.
    If you can't build momentum after a Natty, when can you? It's not crazy to think that a year after a Natty when we return 6 of 9 starters, we should make a Regional. Not crazy at all. The injuries hurt, for sure, but we sucked before them. All I'm saying is, if Lemonis can't hit the portal and recruiting trail and promise immediate playing time at THIS program where it is now...he may be Gene Chizik. I hope he's not, and I'm not saying he is...I'm just saying he better turn it around next year or many, including myself, will think he's unable to build a program and can only win with a roster of studs recruited by someone else.

With transfer portal and NIL, this isn't the Polk days where you just keep a coach forever and hope he has some great years mixed in amongst the shitty ones. That's a good way to find yourself wasting a National Championship and at the bottom of the league. Baseball is all we've got, let's face it....we can't afford to let it crumble bc we're still high off of a Title. I want Lemonis to feel some pressure so he will produce.

If he is worth his salt...he's pissed and will turn it around next year. That's what I'm hoping for, bc I actually like him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    I expect a good offseason in the portal. Or at least we better have one. We need legit hitters and pitchers. Because right now, we don't have any.

I'm of the opinion that we'll have addition by subtraction with some of our current guys moving on. Some of our "leaders" have good numbers and will always be legends for winning a national title last year, but they've completely dropped the ball as leaders this year.

And Cadaver is right. Lemonis has to play Aaron Downs, Slate Alford, and any younger guy with a pulse. There's no reason Luke Hancock and Kam James should be taking ABs away from someone who could help us next year.
    I agree that I think we'll hit the portal hard, and that we Better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Remember he pinch hit for Leggett a couple of weeks ago with none other than VS... leggett is the most clutch hitter we have
    One hit makes him the most clutch ever? He can't hit. The same people that were begging for him to start over lane are crickets now.

vCash
    Losing is frustrating. But this thread is full of stupid. And I'm being kind.

vCash
    I'd feel a lot better if the down year was bc we were playing a lot of promising young players. I don't see it though, and that should be worrisome to everyone whether they'll admit it or not

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    If you can't build momentum after a Natty, when can you? It's not crazy to think that a year after a Natty when we return 6 of 9 starters, we should make a Regional. Not crazy at all. The injuries hurt, for sure, but we sucked before them. All I'm saying is, if Lemonis can't hit the portal and recruiting trail and promise immediate playing time at THIS program where it is now...he may be Gene Chizik. I hope he's not, and I'm not saying he is...I'm just saying he better turn it around next year or many, including myself, will think he's unable to build a program and can only win with a roster of studs recruited by someone else.

With transfer portal and NIL, this isn't the Polk days where you just keep a coach forever and hope he has some great years mixed in amongst the shitty ones. That's a good way to find yourself wasting a National Championship and at the bottom of the league. Baseball is all we've got, let's face it....we can't afford to let it crumble bc we're still high off of a Title. I want Lemonis to feel some pressure so he will produce.

If he is worth his salt...he's pissed and will turn it around next year. That's what I'm hoping for, bc I actually like him.
    Here's the problem. People have no clue obviously how baseball recruiting works. We did build momentum. Our 24/25 classes are insane.. that's off of the ship. We still have guys playing that committed to COHEN. Think about that. And for those that are comparing vitello, he walked into a dump which is tough to turn aroun. BUT, it allows you to punt the entire roster and start from scratch. Lem took us the series twice and missed a great opportunity for 3. Would y'all be happy if he didn't do that so he could get "his" guys?? Hell no. Just back away for a minute. We've Invented ways to lose. Lots is injuries and poor play to top. I'm not saying lem isn't open for criticism, but this is nuts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Here's the problem. People have no clue obviously how baseball recruiting works. We did build momentum. Our 24/25 classes are insane.. that's off of the ship. We still have guys playing that committed to COHEN. Think about that. And for those that are comparing vitello, he walked into a dump which is tough to turn aroun. BUT, it allows you to punt the entire roster and start from scratch. Lem took us the series twice and missed a great opportunity for 3. Would y'all be happy if he didn't do that so he could get "his" guys?? Hell no. Just back away for a minute. We've Invented ways to lose. Lots is injuries and poor play to top. I'm not saying lem isn't open for criticism, but this is nuts.
    I still don't see how if baseball takes 6-7 years to build a team how you explain Vitello

vCash
    I still don't see how if baseball takes 6-7 years to build a team how you explain Vitello
    Yep, Homedawg's post makes some sense, but he isn't factoring in the portal. And again, nobody is saying fire him....but he also doesn't get a 5 year pass full of sucking. You're a coach...COACH. Coach what you've got. Players matter, sure, but coach the ones you DO have. He did a poor job this year...as did Foxhall and GoTro

vCash
    Great post and accurate!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Yep, Homedawg's post makes some sense, but he isn't factoring in the portal. And again, nobody is saying fire him....but he also doesn't get a 5 year pass full of sucking. You're a coach...COACH. Coach what you've got. Players matter, sure, but coach the ones you DO have. He did a poor job this year...as did Foxhall and GoTro
    BA said we had the 4th rated class last year. Play those guys...

vCash
    BA said we had the 4th rated class last year. Play those guys...
    Yep. Why haven't we been? We've been dead for a while this year. Should have had a youth movement by now...but I'm sure that isn't Lemonis's fault either. I think he is a good coach and recruiter...but he didn't do a good job coaching THIS year.

vCash
    And if there's some stupid unwritten rule about talking to other teams' recruits that committed in the 8th grade, break it. I love baseball, but the good ol' boy crap in baseball is what makes it keep falling farther and farther behind.

vCash
    One hit makes him the most clutch ever? He can't hit. The same people that were begging for him to start over lane are crickets now.
    He bats 1.000 when in there to bunt. And Lem stopped putting him in there to get runners advanced w/ no outs.